Sponsored

2018 GT PP1 base review

Competition Orange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Hello,

I know there have been a few reviews already, but figured I'd throw another one out here. I have a 2015 GT PP base with just at 29k miles. Took the car to get my steering wheel replaced and they had a clone of my car there. Ruby Red GT PP1 base. I have no affiliation with this dealer, just providing link to pictures. http://www.germainford.com/new/Ford/2018-Ford-Mustang-2b0ba84b0a0e0ae778da996fbaf99261.htm?searchDepth=4:8

My review is as follows:

Exterior:
I like the rear end MUCH better. Night and day vs a base 15 as the 18s seem to get the same rear valance regardless of premium package and the quad tips look great. I'm indifferent on the tail light changes, both look good.

The side looks fine, I've never liked the stock PP/PP1 wheels so that's a constant negative between the 2.

And now we're at the front. Not as bad in person as pictures, but still not a fan. Top grill is gloss black, bottom is flat black plastic, what were they thinking? I also don't like that the top grill is more towards the front of the car, isn't recessed like on the 15. I DO like that the top grill is more open, the honeycombs are "cut out" a lot more vs the 15. I don't like the design of the lower grill, better on 15s. Headlight looks fine, initially I hated the little relief on the lower inner side of the light, but looks fine in person. The worst part of the car for me is the droopy front end and grills, and that large flat plane on the front corner of the bumper under the turn signal lights.

With ALL of that being said, I didn't find it to be a deal breaker, I just find the 15 a more cohesive design.

Interior:
Everything is the same, but slightly nicer. Seats have different fabric, steering wheel has nicer leather quality (much) and slightly softer padding. The most noticeable difference was something that Bill at CJ said in his video review, all of the trim pieces are a consistent brushed look. Steering wheel button surrounds, vent surrounds, shifter surround, etc, all brushed. The 15 has chrome here, brushed there, grey here, etc. Add all of that together gives the 18 a nice updated look and feel. Nothing earth shattering, but the tables are turned with the 18 having the more cohesive design.

Brakes:
Nothing different.

Suspension/tires:
Pretty noticeable difference here. The ride is more compliant, while also being slightly stiffer. It doesn't feel as "rubberized" as the 15 so I'm curious to see if Ford did any bushing updates or if it's all due to the suspension/tire updates. It doesn't roll or pitch nearly as much. They clearly spent some time updating the ride and handling. I put about 15 miles on it, mixed highway and city, with a few roundabouts so I only got a quick idea of how it'll handle, but I came away impressed. The tires were great, I noticed them clawing for traction in the cold weather here, but seemed to be more direct.

Exhaust:
MAN, this thing sounds great! Keep in mind this was a base PP1 car, so no active exhaust, but it sounded fantastic. I have to think the active will be a bit too much for me considering how the base sounded. Curious if this will bolt up to the 15 :)

Drivetrain:
The engine is great, sounds good, pulls hard all the way to redline (I'm assuming because I actually had a hard time getting there which I'll touch on later). The transmission was a big surprise. I didn't expect much considering it's just a refreshed MT82, but the shifter feel was crisp and direct yet easy to use. Rear end was the same, 3.73 torsen, nothing noticeable there.

The downside, IMO, was the gear ratios. They were much longer, pair that with the higher redline on the engine and I wasn't able to actually reach redline in my 15 mile test drive. Don't get this confused with not trying either, you're just traveling at such high speeds (second around city speeds and 3rd on highway) that you'll be going reckless opp speeds tapping out the respective gears. I feel that they should have kept the 15 gear ratios, but updated the internals as they did. Those, paired with the higher RPMs and more power would have been a perfect fit. By doing both, you're left with a car that feels a bit lethargic down low, and SCREAMS up top at very high speeds. As an example, I dropped it down to 4th gear on the highway going 70 and went full throttle. Had nice power for sure, but no urgency. Not until the rpms got above 5 did I feel it was on par with the thrust of my 15 in 4th. Again, gear ratios.

To sum this up, I loved the car. It felt like a baby GT350. It had a similar feel with the higher RPM engine, the longer gears in the transmission, and had a great exhaust note. Anyone buying an 18 won't be disappointed with the package, IMO. Those that are waiting on the Performance Package 2 will be rewarded with a car that should put down similar lap times and performance as a GT350. I'd be shocked if it didn't give the package content.

I hope this helps someone.
Sponsored

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI
The dealer took a base GT, tacked on pp and deleted the pp wing?
What do you mean? The dealer didn't do anything those are factory options.

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Thank you for your thoughts on the standard PP suspension. Everybody only seems to be interested in talking about Magneride. You said more compliant but also slightly stiffer. Does this mean you found it more or less comfortable over bumps compared to your 15?

Fox9350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 5.0 GT (former car)
What do you mean? The dealer didn't do anything those are factory options.
Perhaps I didn't word It clearly. The dealer ordered the PP and then deleted the PP wing? Seems silly but I know some dislike the wings.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Competition Orange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Thank you for your thoughts on the standard PP suspension. Everybody only seems to be interested in talking about Magneride. You said more compliant but also slightly stiffer. Does this mean you found it more or less comfortable over bumps compared to your 15?
I should restate the stiffer comment. Paired with the mp4s tires, I found the ride both more comfortable during normal driving and better handling. Large impacts felt stiffer in that the irs didn't flop around, but not dramatically more stiff vs my 15. It's obvious the new damper and spring rates are better suited to the chassis after a few years of research by Ford.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
I like that you own a 15 PP. That way you can give a more informed opinion. I drove a PP once for 10 minutes and didn't like the clutch. But hardly enough to give an informed opinion on the car.

FIVE_LITER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT PP Competition Orange
Sounds like the new mt82 ratios will be great for boost!

sebounet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 conv gt auto, var exhaust,shaker, safety pack
Do you think that the automstic with more gears will offer more sound pleasure a legal speed

Sponsored

dingobreath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT orange
Nice mini review, you covered some things others have not. Much appreciated.

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI
Perhaps I didn't word It clearly. The dealer ordered the PP and then deleted the PP wing? Seems silly but I know some dislike the wings.
Most the PP's I see on lots for 15-17 have Wing deletes. Least in my area.