Sponsored

Gauges Mounted Behind Shifter

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
If you are going to go through the trouble of fabbing something, then I would place them in a custom pod right behind the steering wheel. I would have died 10 times over if mine were in a low position. They look cool, but are useless in a performance setting.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Traffic22

Traffic22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 Raptor, 2011 Ford CV Lemons Race Car
Thank you guys for all the feedback. I really was just looking to put a small obd2, like an aeroforce or plx there. Something small, and only a single. When I saw the AEM set-up I didn't think of the Camaro, first thing it reminded me of was the BMW Z3M

interior_black_imola_M.jpg

I know behind the little cover plate is an open area, and figured a single small gauge run to the obd port might work.

I was hoping someone saw the show-car and knew how they did it. Maybe I'll just email AEM. I am guessing small custom mount. (Not sure how keen I would be on drilling. Maybe mount it to a base plate that would sit on the tray.)

....Oh, and I keep my change in an the ash tray that came with my 99 Mustang, that has traveled with me from Mustang to Mustang since back in 1999.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
If you were to put the Aeroforce gauge in an A-pillar pod, you could set one of its two displays to 'speed' and not only have the digital speedometer that so many people have complained about not having . . . you'd sort of have it as a 'heads-up'. Just sayin'.

Norm

OP
OP
Traffic22

Traffic22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
If you were to put the Aeroforce gauge in an A-pillar pod, you could set one of its two displays to 'speed' and not only have the digital speedometer that so many people have complained about not having . . . you'd sort of have it as a 'heads-up'. Just sayin'.

Norm
Not a bad idea, just not a fan of A-pillar mounts. (Nothing wrong with them, just personal preference.) And I guess maybe I am just old, but I don't understand the fascination with digital speedos.

I was always taught the point of a round gauge is so one quick glance at the needle and you know, based on position, your speed, rpm, etc.

No arguing a HUD would be cool.

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Not a bad idea, just not a fan of A-pillar mounts. (Nothing wrong with them, just personal preference.) And I guess maybe I am just old, but I don't understand the fascination with digital speedos.
At a guess - because I'm old
picture.jpg
I think there's some unwillingness to have to interpret what the position of a needle means when it's possible for the data to be displayed directly. Possibly there's some pre-occupation with maintaining "precise" speeds for one reason or another, Lord knows there's enough threads on tire sizes and speedometer recalibrating.

I was always taught the point of a round gauge is so one quick glance at the needle and you know, based on position, your speed, rpm, etc.
Until I picked up this HPDE track day habit I was 100% in agreement. Still am, for most street purposes as long as the analog instruments are easy to read. But there are times when a more precise reading has real value . . . it makes about a 25' difference when you're braking from speed at the 500 foot to the corner marker if your speed is 126 vs 123, which might be the difference between staying on the black part all the way through the corner and putting two or more wheels off.

No arguing a HUD would be cool.
Agreed in principle that not having to look down into a recessed IP that can be dark at times has value. But since I really don't want a speedometer or any other display straight in my face all the time the A-pillar started looking like the best location. Many years and several cars ago I hung a 3" tach off the A pillar, when everybody else was either sticking them on the top of the dash or strapping them to the steering column.

FWIW, I've since removed the sunshade, changed the display to 'negative', and tweaked the pod for tighter fit-up against the pillar . . . good enough for a car used for track days and I only see it when I want to look at it.
picture.jpg

GMB Racing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT, 16 Escape, 21 F250 (all Ruby Red)
Vehicle Showcase
How about a scan gauge 2 in that location

OP
OP
Traffic22

Traffic22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
Norm, thanks for the reply. That location down low by the dash looks good. Thanks for the info.

GMB-I considered the scan gauge, I think it would fit no problem. Just trying to figure out how to fit and make it look clean.

I'm leaning towards making a little mounting plate that slips into the tray, screw the gauge to the plate, slip the wire under (or drill a small hole) in the cover and run it behind the dash. We'll see.

My computer took a crap and just had to buy a new one unexpectedly, so mods on hold for a short time.
Sponsored