Sponsored

T-Top Conversion

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Anybody know of an OEM quality body modification shop that could put in custom T-Tops? I've always wanted a car with T-Tops since I was a kid, but nobody really makes them any more.
Sponsored

HGFireHazard

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I'm sure it exists somewhere, but I don't know where. T-tops cause a significant loss in strength of the structure which is why you don't see them anymore.

EXP Jawa

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.torsen.com
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
1999 Cobra Convertible, Electric Green
I think something like that would be a lot more custom than, say, having an aftermarket sunroof installed. The sunroof is just a standard module that can be dropped into most any car. T-tops, though, would require application specific top glass, plus the latching, weather stripping, etc. is all pretty significant. Doing it becomes a major tear up of the roof structure, so the likelihood of it being commonly practiced is very low. I would suggest you spend your money on a Mustang II King Cobra instead, it'll probably cost the same as the conversion... :D

geokots

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Mustang EB Premium
Anybody know of an OEM quality body modification shop that could put in custom T-Tops? I've always wanted a car with T-Tops since I was a kid, but nobody really makes them any more.
Please don't do it. I beg you not to.

Sponsored

DarkHorse850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP 6-spd DIB
IMO I definitely wouldn't do it. But it's your car..

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
T-tops... now those are something I have not seen in a long time. Yikes.

RevvdMedia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
OP
OP

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium

Sponsored

RevvdMedia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Nice. But that's a little cheap; that costs $6500, but I'd easily pay $10-$15K for one that was really done right and looked good.
Hmmm...well if you're willing to spend that much money - 40K for the Mustang and another 10-15K, you could look at a Corvette which comes with a targa top standard ;)

OP
OP

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Hmmm...well if you're willing to spend that much money - 40K for the Mustang and another 10-15K, you could look at a Corvette which comes with a targa top standard ;)
Right, except I don't really want a targa top; I'd really like t-tops. A lot of nice memories of being in high school and sitting in the pool hall parking lot on top of a Camaro's t-tops and smoking clove cigarettes and bullshitting all night and being happy. You know?

EXP Jawa

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.torsen.com
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
Well, except that the 2nd and 3rd generation Mustangs offered T-tops in their fastback/hatchback forms. I would say it would look similar.

As I recall, the 2nd, 3rd & 4th gen F-bodies offered T-tops as well. Those cars are all bubble window cars with a different pillar structure than a typical fastback. You could argue that a hatchback isn't the same as a fastback, and you would technically correct. However, the difference is in the panel parting lines; the basic profile of the roofline is still appropriate. However, just the same, I think that the T-top is a relic that belongs in the '70s-early '80s. It really would be out of place on a modern performance car.

EXP Jawa

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.torsen.com
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
Right, except I don't really want a targa top; I'd really like t-tops. A lot of nice memories of being in high school and sitting in the pool hall parking lot on top of a Camaro's t-tops and smoking clove cigarettes and bullshitting all night and being happy. You know?
Well, if that ain't a good reason to structurally compromise an otherwise excellent performance car, I don't know what is... :D

As I've noted, a t-top conversion would not be to my taste, but its your car, do as you see fit. However, should you do so, I'd strongly suggest adding all of the convertible structural bracing to shore up the chassis, because cutting the roof rails out of it will seriously reduce its torsional rigidity.

Personally, for the money you're proposing spending, I'd buy one of the above cars, or perhaps an early C3 Vette to gain the t-top experience. Well, actually, I'd just buy a convertible. But that's just me... :lol:
Sponsored