Sponsored

2018 Mustang refresh?

gojensen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Ecoboost 'vert
Whattya mean ... what's wrong with US$10/gallon?
Sponsored

OP
OP
amk91

amk91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GTP PP and 2014 SVT Raptor SE
Sorry, but did you think they would release the Mustang.. and not develop it, or refine it...?
Well no, that is not really what I said nor alluded to, as vehicle development is always ongoing, especially year-to-year changes (2016, SVT, 2017, etc.) and corrections for pre-facelift models. However official projects, such as a major mid-cycle update going into development before initial product market launch, is rather odious and not necessarily helpful regarding profitability in some ways.

Even a successive generation never even goes into development immediately (let alone before incumbent model launch), unless a model's overall life-cycle is so short, like merely 4 years (i.e. Honda prior to 2000). That can strain engineering resources at times, which in the case of the unreleased 2015, need(ed) to rather focus attention on end-stage development and readying for product launch.

Its not surprising. Given the development lead time on a new vehicle - or even a facelifted one - they don't really have time to sit around and have tea parties once the new model is launched. Especially with changes to the Camaro, and whatever FCA does with Challenger, breathing down their necks...
It actually is shocking in being quite early, as lead time isn't even a factor here, in especially that it's usually 4-5 years at Ford for a full redesign and maybe 30-36 months for major facelift (dev. start to launch). Most automotive development programs do not entirely base when they are getting to work, off of what the competition is doing.

Like the MY2011 powertrain changes, those can be added anytime if feasible, like say in MY17. Aesthetic and other major engineering changes however, have to be timed specifically.

Initial production and sales usually need to occur before new investment is made on significant mid-cycle changes, so as what direction to go in regarding updates to a model and new targets and needed improvements are identified on the outset. Your point might just make sense though, as early as February 2008, designers were already working on the 2015 F-150 and the '09 wasn't even out for almost another year.

I doubt the 2018 will be a facelift. More likely some technical upgrades, new engine designs and new gearboxes. The latter having been announced more or less already.
The fact the design department might be working on it, means it could be significant and an MMC. Usually engineering concerns what you mentioned, not necessarily designers. Or you could be right and the changes could be like what the '07 was to the '05 model. It is so early that, whatever was mentioned could change in the next several months.

I would imagine in the 2018ish time frame there will be a face lift like the 2013 was, give or take a year. I am thinking its a safe bet to believe there will be performance updates around the same time the next camaro comes out.
Maybe, it seems that Ford might be steering away from past major Mustang facelifts ('94 vs '99 or '05 vs '10) and taking the approach the rest of the Ford line-up gets. No more big facelifts after 5 years that are essentially classified as a redesign, but slightly less significant at about 3.5-4 years (2010 vs '13). Might not be good thing unless, a shorter overall life-cycle at 7-8 years.

DHG1078

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Mustang Bullitt, 1985 Mustang Hatch
Another thing is there could be technology that just simply wasn't ready in time for the initial launch that they are still working on and will get included in the next refresh.

I do agree that it is quite silly we are all discussing this and the S550 hasn't even reached stealerships yet. Good discussion though.

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
I would not be surprised that the designers are "visioning" right now. It will be interesting to see what changes would happen, given the way the styling influenced the hardpoints in the chassis now.

Better start saving :)

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
I really hope Ford continue to improve S550 just as they did with the '10 and '13 refreshes (and the '12 with the new engine/gearbox).

We have the detail/gripes thread, but that seems to have focused on the options/colours/tires side of things. How about we use this thread to discuss the STYLING changes we'd like to see in '18MY?

If you recall with the '10 refresh, many Mustang fans were very vocal about the rear lights, the diaper and the mutton chops! Ford listened, and these were addressed in the '13 refresh.

Other than the "Fusion coupe" comments, S550 seems to have escaped any specific styling issues, but I'm sure many of us would have done things differently. So, what would you like to see changed?

Me......I just want see a little more "edge" to the design, and perhaps re-introduce some of those key Mustang styling cues Whilst I love S550 as she is, I do believe she strayed a little too far from those obvious design cues.......

Front:
Less of a wrap-around on the headlamps
Even more of a shark-nose (would a "active" pop-up hood assist here, to get around the pedestrian impact legislation?)

I believe this one was on of Topnotch's early sketches. LOVE those headlamps! Similar to the '13, but swept back enough that they'd work with S550.

Side:
Reintroduce the full hockey stick
I'd love a return to the "dorito" rear 3/4 window

THIS is sooooo close to perfect for me. Perhaps the door window doesn't need to be quite to angled, but I'd take it as it is.

Rear:
Tweaks only......I love it as it is (other than giving us red tails outside the US ;) ) This was a design by Doug Schramm (Burningman). Very similar to S550, but I love the way the lights appear to "sink" into the rear panel.....

Sponsored

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I can guarantee you that literally none of that will happen. ^

shawndean22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Seriously are you really thinking about a 2018 refresh when the 15' is not even for sale or even in prodcution. If you keep waiting you will end up with nothing.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
In that case, what was the point of us being on this forum for the last x years, talking about a car that was still being designed, and was a long way from production? :p

Besides, nobody said anything about waiting, but it's good to know what's coming in the next few years ;)

scottpe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT 6MT w/ Brembos
Seriously are you really thinking about a 2018 refresh when the 15' is not even for sale or even in prodcution. If you keep waiting you will end up with nothing.
I think this is mostly reflective of the fact that we've just about run out of things to discuss about the 2015 until more real news starts surfacing. ;)

In a couple months when all the info is out there and reviews start trickling in, threads like this will fall by the wayside and the 2015 discussion topics and debates will be back in full swing.

Sponsored

shawndean22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro SS 1LE
I think this is mostly reflective of the fact that we've just about run out of things to discuss about the 2015 until more real news starts surfacing. ;)

In a couple months when all the info is out there and reviews start trickling in, threads like this will fall by the wayside and the 2015 discussion topics and debates will be back in full swing.
:amen:

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Probably not, but what would you like to see changed? :)
I'm honestly extremely content with the S550's design. :D

I consider myself a huge stickler when it comes to auto aesthetics and I really think that they nailed this thing down where it matters most: proportions, surfacing, and down the road graphics. There's a great balance of purpose and flare without going overboard. The only changes I would make are minor and can be addressed with light aftermarket work:

-Headlight detailing around the main projectors is iffy, plus the amber has to go.
-Wheel choices are only okay on all models outside of the LE IMO.
-The faux cap out back is old news.
-Not a fan of any of the current spoiler lips, so I'm glad that the PP comes bare.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
My favorite thing about the S550 is that the part that bothered me the most is growing on me as I look at it everyday - the front end. I thought it was too broken up at first, but I've been in love lately. Big fan of the heavy bevels surrounding the nose. Even like the headlamp shape now. :)

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
My favorite thing about the S550 is that the part that bothered me the most is growing on me as I look at it everyday - the front end. I thought it was too broken up at first, but I've been in love lately. Big fan of the heavy bevels surrounding the nose. Even like the headlamp shape now. :)
Yes, it just has to be "studied" :)

I personally have a hard time at seeing what a refreshed design could bring (unused design ideas from Ford notwithstanding) at this moment in time. I am going to have to keep studying the current car when I get it and live with it.

Wheels designs are about all my little mind can envision at this point.

Gman11Gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
That blue with black stripes design is the bomb..I mean it has drool material built into it. I love the rear how it is so elegant, sexy, and at the same time muscular and aggressive. Have to see if he has a drawing of the front as well. I love the body lines and rear panel as well. What a beast that would be. This platform has some big possibilities.
Sponsored