Sponsored

License plate screw threads (stolen license plate)

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Tie a motion triggered taser to the plate so if anyone grabs the plate they get tased.
Sponsored

redgt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP, 5.2 FPC Swap, Sync 3 Retrofit
I’d just order a set of factory screws then take those to a real nut bolt and fastener tool place and have them tell you the specs on it.

nicktechla

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nicktwaddell.com
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro ZL1 Red Hot
I always use these
maxresdefault.jpg

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
I always use these
Those aren't special. You can get a set of torx security bits anywhere. If a thief wants your plate and those are on it your gonna need a new bumper too cuz I guarantee he/she will rip the plate right off. Better off using regular screws to save the collateral damage.

And you have to remember stuff like that only stops honest people and thieves aren't honest and if they want it they will take it.

Sponsored

nicktechla

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nicktwaddell.com
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro ZL1 Red Hot

Vato

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Saleen White Label
Vehicle Showcase
#14 course....got it. I want black screws and this helps. Going tonight to buy them.

Mickey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP GT Premium
Fill the security socket holes with quick set epoxy so they can't get anything in there to remove them. When you need to take them off use a dremel or angle grinder with a cutoff wheel to slot them and just use a screw driver then. I have to weld the plates onto my equipment trailer to keep the crackheads from stealing them from our shop yard.

foqus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1963 Volkswagen Beetle, 2018 Mustang GT
Fill the security socket holes with quick set epoxy so they can't get anything in there to remove them. When you need to take them off use a dremel or angle grinder with a cutoff wheel to slot them and just use a screw driver then. I have to weld the plates onto my equipment trailer to keep the crackheads from stealing them from our shop yard.

That would work well, I think.

The flip-side opinion of not making it hard to remove the plates in order to save on collateral damage does have merit, though. My friend owned a Jeep and stopped locking it because theives would simply cut the plastic top or windows to get into the Jeep. He just took everything of value out of it every single night, and never had a problem after that.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I used these on my rear plate:
Hillman brand, 1/4" dia x 1" long, stainless steel sheet metal screws, "Security Torx Bit #27" required to install & remove. Got them at Lowe's.

Sponsored

nicktechla

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nicktwaddell.com
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro ZL1 Red Hot
you might as well just rivet them then :thumbsup:

ntev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP
As someone doing inital install of the plate, does the screw go straight in or is a pilot hole required?

OP
OP

earlingy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium Performance Package
As someone doing inital install of the plate, does the screw go straight in or is a pilot hole required?
Mine had two plastic pieces in the bumper that the #14 screws screw into. The car came with two #14 screws, but since mine were stolen with the plate, I replaced them with security screws from Lowe's.
However, my car came with a dealer advertisement plate installed, so I can't 100% guarantee it left the factory this way. Note: this was on the rear. No front plates in my state. I get to keep a nice clean front bumper!

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Was it stolen from your home residence or out in a public lot?

If home - time to invest in a camera system.

If stolen from a public lot - did the lot or any store front have cameras to track back?

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
However, my car came with a dealer advertisement plate installed, so I can't 100% guarantee it left the factory this way.
If plate screws were in the bumper at the dealership, then the dealer "de-virginized" the bumper. There are little dimples in the front bumper and semi-formed holes in the rear bumper, and what they do is just drive the screws into the plastic bumper to make threads.

My GT had one of the RH side rear plate hole semi-stripped out because some clown at the dealer probably used a power tool to drive the screws in and over tightened one. Also see how the idiot couldn't even hit the LH hole until the 3rd try !!

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19983
Sponsored