Sponsored

Can the GT door trim shell be disassembled into pieces?

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Hi everyone,

As the topic says I'm wondering if anyone knows whether the door trim shell can be easily disassembled into its component pieces. I'm talking specifically about the plastic shell itself, plus the leather/cloth insert (not the speakers, grab handle, vent etc).

It looks to be made from a number of component parts, and in particular I want to remove the bottom part that runs the length of the trim - the one that gets kicked when people get out of the car - and have it either ceramic coated or covered in alcantara.

Thanks in advance
Sponsored

cking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17GT350AG/BS-MGW/UPR/ABLIP
The panel consist of number of parts that are held together by melted lugs. The lugs are about 1/4" dia with a 1/8" hole. The mating piece has holes that slip over the lugs and then a heatgun melts the lugs. Ends looking like a plastic rivet. I took a large flat tip soldering iron and heated the stud around hole while prying the two section apart. The melted part of the lug would pop off leaving a donut ring on the mating part that easily comes off.
So to put back together I bought some 10 x 1/2" truss head sheet metal screws and some fender washers that would clear the lugs. Took a drill in a hand bit holder and cleared the opening in the lugs.
So to assemble put two pieces back together lining up the holes and lugs. Then put two washers over the lug and tighten the screw enough to hold parts together.
Then after your sure everything is right take some ABS epoxy [walmart on line] take few screws out and put some glue around lugs and put screws back. After epoxy dries it will never come apart again. Buy used door panel off ebay to test.

OP
OP

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Thanks cking great description, exactly what I was after. I'm in Australia so I have to research carefully before I shell out for freight on door panels.

Can you tell me please if the leather/cloth elbow portion removes as a section?

cking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'll take some pics of the pieces so you can see. If you try and remove covering on the armrest it destroys the rubber thats glued to the plastic. So to cover that area you be better off gluing to the existing material. Even the upper panel insert is really stuck well. You'll need some special glue 3M makes that will glue leather and cloth to abs plastic. Expensive $65 a quart. Also be very careful removing the bezel around the window switch. Very easy to break off the lock down tabs and new bezel is $50.

cking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
here are pics of the door panel in pieces. I have removed the arm rest area and the lower part of the outer door panel that covered the recessed area. The 3M glue is 4475. The black vinyl was foam/cloth backed. It took hours of scrapping to remove it from the upper panel kind of blue area now. I'm going to put the top dished panel back in but lower section will be replaced by some 1/8" plywood. The whole lower section is going to be a pocket with a rolled edge with an elastic to hold it tight and pleated leather. Behind that top edge of the pocket will be the window, mirror buttons hidden. Will put the recess plastic pocket area below the door handle back in to make use of the storage space behind the pleated leather. No armrest and using a large stainless boat cleat that folds for a popout door close handle. Using some nice aniline dyed Distressed Italian leather for the door panels, console and seats. Also got black basket weave mohair for center section on seats and liner for the door pocket. Seat frame is in process of be cut and welded to fit me and the four point harness. Hopefully it will help remove the plastic everywhere look the car has now.
Bezel.jpg
Dpanel1.jpg
Dpanel2.jpg
Dpanel3.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Thanks very much cking that's a huge help, appreciate the detail and explanation. Looks like you've put lot of thought into the retrim, interested to see it when its finished.

cking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm modeling it on some 1930's club chairs that were leather and mohair that a rich friends father had in his den when I was a Kid.

cking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No I got side tracked buying another toy, Kubota RTV-X1100C. Its a two seater off road diesel with car type cab heated and AC'ed. So now I'll get back to the door panels, my auto-blip is on the way, and haven't tracked down the oil leak yet.

jperls

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Metallic V6, 1970 mustang convertible
No I got side tracked buying another toy, Kubota RTV-X1100C. Its a two seater off road diesel with car type cab heated and AC'ed. So now I'll get back to the door panels, my auto-blip is on the way, and haven't tracked down the oil leak yet.
Check you valve covers for the oil leak. Several people have reported the valve cover bolts have come loose (especially around the back) and it could be from there. If not, then check the area around the oil filter.

Sponsored

Ludachris

Threads
Reaction score
Website
s550mods.com
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium PP
Hey cking, since you have (or had) that door panel off, can you tell me if the chrome speaker trim ring is attached in a permanent way (like the glued rivets) or is it removable using some sort of clips? The photo above makes it look like it's glued in.

cking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
those 6 dots around the grills rim are melted down lugs. They could be melted and removed. They would serve as locaters when you put it back on but you could not melt them again. However they could be glued back in with a ABS epoxy but would.need to be sand bagged in place while epoxy dries 30 minutes.

OP
OP

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
cking does the chrome ring come away separately or does the grille come with it?

cking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The grill is part of the panel, the chrome ring is just trim