Sponsored

Smoking car? read here! (Blue smoke thread Cliff Notes)

skeys2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver Ecoboost Premium
Ok, this just started happening to me however IT DOES happen while driving but I've noticed that it happens after sitting at a longer than average redlight and also after about 15-20 minutes of warm up. It was so bad today that I thought the trunk was on fire.

So, those that have/had this problem and those of you with automotive knowledge and experience think this is the same issue?

As with everyone else I am pissed and a bit disappointed in the events that have transpired.
2015 Ecoboost premium automatic with 11,800 miles.
Sponsored

ViolentDreams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 Silverado - '15 Ecoboost
I posted this in another thread but thought it would be helpful here too.

New TSB 15-0192, to fix the smoking problem that replaces the crankcase vent oil separator (pcv box mounted under the intake) and reprograms the PCM.

View attachment tsb15-0192.pdf

l2frankie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang

New TSB 15-0192, to fix the smoking problem that replaces the crankcase vent oil separator (pcv box mounted under the intake) and reprograms the PCM.

i wonder if you need to be on a stock tune

ViolentDreams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would flash back to stock just to be on the safe side, and talk to your tuner after if any changes need to be made. Maybe Adam will jump in, I'm not to sure what Ford changed in the stock tune, but they refer to the new part as "high flow" so I imagine some air flow changes were made.

Noobtastic14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 EB ruby red

You're the real MVP in this thread! Thank you for posting the PDF- I'm going in with this in hand so there won't be any confusion.

-Drew

Sponsored

Brianh922

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang GT PP1
Called them this morning they won't even do it, unless you're having the problem. I'm going to actually stop by at some point and show them the PDF, and have them change it.

wmsky33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB PP 6MT Competition Orange
i wonder if you need to be on a stock tune
The TSB says to flash the PCM. If you don't flash back to stock, it will overwrite your custom tune.

Sent from my C6606 using Tapatalk

ronv95

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Called them this morning they won't even do it, unless you're having the problem. I'm going to actually stop by at some point and show them the PDF, and have them change it.
Yeah since it's just a TSB and not a recall most dealerships will want you to drop off the car then they will try and replicate the issue before they take action. My brakes didn't squeal the day I left my car for them and I wasn't about to keep leaving it there for them to drive around so I just never got that TSB done either.

speedfrk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nationalsuperbike.com
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier
I wonder if this new high flow oil separator fixes other things that necessitated aftermarket catch cans. I'm assuming it would be a good fix on any car even if it didn't smoke since it keeps oil and fumes from entering the intake, gunking up valves, etc.

I also wonder what changes they are making to the PCM...

Sponsored

Roidrage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.3L Ecoboost Mustang with PP
Anyone else having a hard time locating the tag ? I looked all around couldnt find shit.

therealdannye

President of Capitol S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Deadpool 5.0

Just a few questions:

What is a TSB and who released it?
Is this a sort of "recall notice" to have a Ford Dealer fix the smoke issue?
Is the PCV related to the crankcase vent oil separator or is this a fix from a different angle?

ViolentDreams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just a few questions:

What is a TSB and who released it?
Is this a sort of "recall notice" to have a Ford Dealer fix the smoke issue?
Is the PCV related to the crankcase vent oil separator or is this a fix from a different angle?
A TSB is a Technical Service Bulletin released by Ford acknowledging an issue and providing a fix, so the Tech's don't have to go through a whole diagnostic process for a well known issue.

Its not a recall, it only applies if you bring your car in and have the problem that they can duplicate. - its not a safety issue so there won't be a recall, and not every car has the issue.

The crankcase vent oil separator is part of the PCV system, and it is the cause of the smoking problem, so Ford revised the part to fix the issue.

therealdannye

President of Capitol S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Deadpool 5.0
A TSB is a Technical Service Bulletin released by Ford acknowledging an issue and providing a fix, so the Tech's don't have to go through a whole diagnostic process for a well known issue.

Its not a recall, it only applies if you bring your car in and have the problem that they can duplicate. - its not a safety issue so there won't be a recall, and not every car has the issue.

The crankcase vent oil separator is part of the PCV system, and it is the cause of the smoking problem, so Ford revised the part to fix the issue.
Baller. So if my car is currently putting out a smokeshow (not blue smoke, but still smoking nonetheless), I would perhaps "qualify" for them to swap the crankcase. Will this completely sidestep my need to gut the PCV then??

ViolentDreams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ya if you car smokes then they should have no problem doing the TSB, this fix should take care of the problem so you don't need to gut the PCV valve, from what I can tell just from Fords description they made the valve, that you would gut, flow more so it won't get backed up and cause smoke in the first place. It would be nice to compare them side by side to see how much they changed though.
Sponsored