Sponsored

MAPerformance: Cylinder Head R&D | 7/6/15: Valvetrain Upgrade info posted!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
MAPerformance

MAPerformance

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.maperformance.com
First Name
Sales
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Base w/ Performance Package
I've been wondering who would do this as a mod for a few weeks now.

HP and torque increases should come after a tune, I'd think. Depending on how the stock heads are from the factory we could see nice increases across the power curves.

Questions: how much for the heads and what is the typical cost for doing the replacement for us non DIY? Cost to benefit:shrug:

Oh yeah, Dyno results before and after on a stock GT would be helpful:D

Sweet OTC mod idea:cheers:
Sorry boss, you are in an Ecoboost 2.3L Section. However we would be open to porting 2015+ GT heads as well if anybody would like to send in their heads to get done. We have been at the top of the porting game for a long long time. Our work speaks for itself, see above!

The C7 Vette guys are catching on and have been sending us some things to port/polish for them lately, good gains!

OP
OP
MAPerformance

MAPerformance

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.maperformance.com
First Name
Sales
Vehicle(s)
Any chance you guys will be doing this to the Focus RS heads as well? It's the same head, just with a better material.

http://www.ford.co.uk/experience-fo...eNews/2015/Ford_Preview_All-New_Ford_Focus_RS
We will be developing the Focus RS in the same manner we are the Mustang. I will have one on order as soon as the dealer we work with can accept one. Doing the cylinder head is definitely not out of the question, I'm hoping the exhaust side is going to be 4-port from the factory versus a "turbofold".

Sponsored

Herr_Poopschitz

Nullius in verba
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Junk
Can we get a shot of the outer cylinder's exhaust exit looking into the port?

Overall, looks good, few concerns though...

Trailing edges are ok for knife-edging, leading should always have generous radii (port divider).

The added 'dog leg' that was ground into the outer cylinder exhaust ports...why? The transition doesn't appear gradual enough to force gases into this area. Just looks like dead space? Clearer pic might help.

How far into the outer exhaust ports do the turbine housing bolt/stud bosses protrude? Another reason why I'm interested in a more detailed pic of these ports.

We gonna get to see a detail of the single scroll adapter to see how all of this works in conjunction?

Will the vj be blended into the chamber? Knock down the sharp angles on the exhaust seat? Exhaust seat width? Can we see where the seat lies on the valve?

Throat %?

What lifts were and will these heads be tested to? 28" I presume?

Sorry for being a pain in the ass w/ all the questions. I like heads.

Tamadrummer88

Finicky
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost Premium

Trailing edges are ok for knife-edging, leading should always have generous radii (port divider).

The added 'dog leg' that was ground into the outer cylinder exhaust ports...why? The transition doesn't appear gradual enough to force gases into this area. Just looks like dead space? Clearer pic might help.

How far into the outer exhaust ports do the turbine housing bolt/stud bosses protrude? Another reason why I'm interested in a more detailed pic of these ports.

We gonna get to see a detail of the single scroll adapter to see how all of this works in conjunction?

Will the vj be blended into the chamber? Knock down the sharp angles on the exhaust seat? Exhaust seat width? Can we see where the seat lies on the valve?

Throat %?

Sorry for being a pain in the ass w/ all the questions. I like head.
Fixed. :D

OP
OP
MAPerformance

MAPerformance

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.maperformance.com
First Name
Sales
Vehicle(s)

Throat %?

Sorry for being a pain in the ass w/ all the questions. I like heads.
1. No, the head is off to flow testing :p

2. This is the factory exhaust port design, nothing was added outside of the original shape. The picture might be throwing you off. Regardless it is 100% gasket matched, which is needed to get as much exhaust flow into the manifold as possible. Not only for energy but for better boost control as we are using an external wastegate.

3. The studs go about .30" into the head, the exhaust port has some room there. The main factor is that this one-piece manifold design has coolant running through it. So there are some areas where it can't be opened up anymore than factory without hitting a coolant jacket. I have a junk head on the way so we can cut it open and get a better idea how the coolant jackets are routed. Also, for some other R&D as well :gossip:.

4. Sure, when the turbo kit officially starts shipping there will be product pictures on our website. We make the head flanges in house and are 3D contouring them for optimal flow, again we are trying to get as much flow into the manifold as possible.

5. Once the valve job is done, it will be finalized. Valve job is one of the last processes we do before we do final cleaning and machining. You won't see any of the final combustion chamber work for at least 2 weeks.

6. Once we have valves here, we can determine the throat percentage. I'm thinking we are going to knock the factory seats out and upgrade.

7. 28" and relax, more information will be presented as we get results back.

:cheers:

P.S. - "VJ" HA.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Also the leading edge of the intake divider isn't actually knife edged, it isn't sharp. The whole divider is actually quite thin once the first part at the head flange is removed, its not thats wide all the way down the port, so it's going to be fairly thin regardless.

Fast64ranchero

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Vehicle(s)
63 Ranchero, 1972 Pinto, 2015 Mustang
Do you have a picture of the intake flange on the intake itself you can show us? I'm wondering if it has port dividers also.

Sponsored
OP
OP
MAPerformance

MAPerformance

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.maperformance.com
First Name
Sales
Vehicle(s)
Do you have a picture of the intake flange on the intake itself you can show us? I'm wondering if it has port dividers also.
The intake manifold doesn't have port divider like the cylinder head.

DanFish

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dante
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red GT, 2015 Black Eco
Are the top 2 ports on the exhaust manifold from cylinder 1,4 and the bottom port is for 2,3?

OP
OP
MAPerformance

MAPerformance

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.maperformance.com
First Name
Sales
Vehicle(s)
Alright guys, we have the flow numbers on our cylinder head. Things are definitely looking up, the gains were TREMENDOUS and this is with STOCK size valves. +1mm valve are being manufactured and en-route!

Here are the factory AVERAGE flow numbers, with a scan of the flow chart.

Intake - 157cfm @ 28"
Exhaust Outer - 123cfm @ 28"
Exhaust Inner - 147cfm @ 28"

Exhaust

Intake

Here are the AVERAGE flow numbers after our portwork.

Intake - 237cfm @ 28"
Exhaust Outer - 155cfm @ 28"
Exhaust Inner - 172cfm @ 28"

Intake and Exhaust laid out on one graph

So here are the gains from stock to our cylinder head.

Intake - +80cfm (50.95% Increase)
Exhaust Outer - +32cfm (26.01% Increase)
Exhaust Inner - +25cfm (17.01% Increase)

We are going to be putting this head on our built engine. The engine itself shouldn't provide any extra power advantage as it is going to be stock bore, stroke, rod length, and compression. The design of the piston will allow for more timing (hopefully), but I'm going to run the same tune we are running now on stock engine on the built engine so we can see how much just the head picked up for power. This is a huge increase in flow, and should yield some AWESOME gains.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.