MAPerformance: Ultimate R&D Thread | Air, Fuel, & Turbo Upgrades

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigCatDan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang
The biggest power delivery difference is 4500rpm and beyond. The stock turbo continues to die throughout the rpm range and the big turbo kit holds the power all the way to redline.

Herr_Poopschitz - The response is VERY nice, off boost is still responsive and not too laggy and the turbo hits very nice if you drop a gear and hit it. I really like dropping into 2nd gear at 40mph and just hitting it. Boost hits and breaks the tires loose and you take off.

400hp+ is capable with the stock engine, I would recommend head studs and to swap the valvesprings while you are out just as a safety precaution. You wouldn't be able to hit 400/400 easily with 93oct with the smaller turbo but a 6266 will do it definitely and still safely. If you really want to make some power, drop some RaceGas in your car and get it tuned accordingly either by myself, or a local tuner FAMILIAR with the EBM and EBM Tuning.

I'm going out right now to clean up the car and do some street pulls to check load, will post final numbers in the next day or two.

Reminder - Pre-order for the turbo kit open, just shoot me an email to [email protected] if you are interested and we can discuss.

Previous customers of MAP will receive a discount!

Adam, Correct me if I mis-read above, but since the upgraded turbo kit power is at approx 420/420, are you saying that it is best to use it with upgraded head studs and valve springs,.. not stock?
Sponsored

wireless

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White Ecoboost Premium
Adam, Correct me if I mis-read above, but since the upgraded turbo kit power is at approx 420/420, are you saying that it is best to use it with upgraded head studs and valve springs,.. not stock?
I suspect it is to prevent any sort of lifting (the head may rise just a bit, which can cause steam to get into the head gasket and cause issues from there) and the valves are to prevent valve float from occurring..

Probably not necessary, but I've seen it as being highly recommended on a lot of built 4cyl's *shrug*

:)

DanFish

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dante
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red GT, 2015 Black Eco
I just want to hear a video of this kit now.

DanFish

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dante
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red GT, 2015 Black Eco
How hard would it be to change the head studs and valve springs?

dspenc8888

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dawn
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Oxford White EB Prem 50Anniv, 201A
I answered this question in the following post. Buy-back/Exchange program is one in the same.

The second part of your quote above still holds true. If you have any MAP product currently and are looking to upgrade to our turbo kit there is a discount to be had.
I already have new exhaust and have the MAP CAI and Intercooler kit is ordered. What is this turbo kit and does it include replacing the turbo or just the other components? I saw some posts about different size turbo options but can't find any info on maperformance.com

Do you have a link to it?

Sponsored

dragonacc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
I already have new exhaust and have the MAP CAI and Intercooler kit is ordered. What is this turbo kit and does it include replacing the turbo or just the other components? I saw some posts about different size turbo options but can't find any info on maperformance.com

Do you have a link to it?

Check the first post in this thread.

Surtur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
sounds amazing, nice job. Will definitely have to get the turbo kit soon.

Anthony@HTM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Track Pack
As Adam said while peak numbers on stock turbo are close to what this turbo kit is producing, the real improvement is useable power band. Which solves this cars gutless top end.

OP
OP
MAPerformance

MAPerformance

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.maperformance.com
First Name
Sales
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Base w/ Performance Package
As Adam said while peak numbers on stock turbo are close to what this turbo kit is producing, the real improvement is useable power band. Which solves this cars gutless top end.
I wouldn't say stock turbo numbers are close, there is still a +70whp gain over our P1 kit versus our P2 kit (Turbo kit). Torque is similar, but the turbo kit shifts it to the right of the dynograph which is where you want it!

Sponsored
OP
OP
MAPerformance

MAPerformance

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.maperformance.com
First Name
Sales
Vehicle(s)
Just so I can update the first post in our thread with a new hot link. Here is the install video for our charge piping and intercooler kit!

[ame]

BigCatDan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang
I suspect it is to prevent any sort of lifting (the head may rise just a bit, which can cause steam to get into the head gasket and cause issues from there) and the valves are to prevent valve float from occurring..

Probably not necessary, but I've seen it as being highly recommended on a lot of built 4cyl's *shrug*

:)
Thank you wireless!
However it was my understanding that this first turbo kit was being designed with the stock block in mind, meaning no need to upgrade parts of the engine block. I think this is important to those who would not want to get into changing those parts. Unlike the R&D pro shops, most of us don't have the means to just try something and if it blows our block, then oh well. It would be important to know, that in testing this turbo, there is a concern that those parts are needed. Or anything along those lines imho.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MAPerformance

MAPerformance

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.maperformance.com
First Name
Sales
Vehicle(s)
Thank you. However it was my understanding that this first turbo kit was being designed with the stock block in mind, meaning no need to upgrade parts of the engine block. I think this is important to those who would not want to get into changing those parts. Unlike the R&D pro shops, most of us don't have the means to just try something and if it blows our block, then oh well. It would be important to know, that in testing this turbo, there is a concern that those parts are needed. Or anything along those lines imho.
And it is, I said I highly suggest upgrading to head studs and valvesprings if you want to turn it up over 400whp/400wtq in response to DanFish I believe that wanted a bigger turbo than what we are supplying in the kit. Anybody looking to make 400+ should be doing simple upgrades like the studs and valvesprings.

Removing and re-installing the head is about a 6 hour job, if you have the proper tools.

OP
OP
MAPerformance

MAPerformance

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.maperformance.com
First Name
Sales
Vehicle(s)
How hard would it be to change the head studs and valve springs?
About 6 hours with the proper tools. You will need a crank pin tool, cam stay tool, and your normal enthusiast hand tools.

BigCatDan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang
And it is, I said I highly suggest upgrading to head studs and valvesprings if you want to turn it up over 400whp/400wtq in response to DanFish I believe that wanted a bigger turbo than what we are supplying in the kit. Anybody looking to make 400+ should be doing simple upgrades like the studs and valvesprings.

Removing and re-installing the head is about a 6 hour job, if you have the proper tools.

So essentially, even tho you are making 420/420 at the moment, the kit will ship out with less than 400/400 when first installed in the car as is?

6 hours work plus specialty tools is quite a fair amount of work. "simple" or not.

Are the head studs and valve spring stock on your test car? If so, have you seen any specific issues?
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.