OP
OP
HextallS550

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
i Want to upgrade to sync3 and was curious about programming the APIM. Can I use the same APIM settings from my sync2 apim on sync 3? I already have NAV heated/cooled seats etc... and only want to upgrade to sync 3 while keeping the same features that I already have?

I appreciate any help.
There are few minor changes that need to be made for functionality. You just have to find a NAV enabled Sync 3 APIM/Touchscreen, switch out the hub and add the GPS antenna
Sponsored

JJones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 s550GT
Is there anything that I would need to do the install? APIM bezel hub wire adapter from 4d tech both A,B cables from ford...and the gps cable...I️ don’t use sat radio or he radio
E8A2D27B-B75F-4FA5-9E1C-55E248D14573.jpeg

JJones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 s550GT
Any help with the APIM harness would be greatly appreciated!

djcwardog

V8 Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Base with PP
Any help with the APIM harness would be greatly appreciated!
From Post #1, first page of this thread...

8. What do I need to change on my car?

Base cars ONLY: You will need to move some pins around and add a few. This is VERY EASY to do if you take your time.
MFT Cars: you only need to purchase or make the hub adapter above
1. You will need to (buy) 7-8 Tyco (aka TE) 1924955-3 terminals. You will also need some quality 22 ga wire in colors that make it easy for you to remember. Using larger gauge wire is a problem with the APIM, the cavities are small.
2. Disassemble the 4.2" screen connector in order to access the rear video camera leads, I actually stripped the Tesa tape off of these wires all the way back to the "T" and simply removed the terminals that were on it and added the new APIM terminals so that I could route these wires into the APIM harness. I did the same with the MS-CAN, I'm OCD as fuck about wiring though sooooo YMMV
3.Unplug and discard the GPSM and disassemble the connector for the medium speed CAN
4. If you are adding Sirius you will need 2-3 Tyco 1924968-1 terminals. These are needed because terminals 6 and 19 on the 26 pin ACM connector must be connected to terminals 51 and 52 on the APIM. This is a digital connection for Sirius control data.
5. Disassemble the APIM connector, by removing the outer shield. You will be left with two terminal carriers that slide together to form one piece.
Label the wires that are to be removed or take a picture BEFORE you start and note what you removed by color on a piece of paper Following the chart below remove pins 5, 6, 16, 17, 23, 24, 25, 26 and 29
6. Follow the chart below and insert the wires into their new positions. ...

And more follows...

Hopefully the details he provided are what you needed to know.

StingyStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT base PP
I “sounds”... If you wanna prove you’re alpha you’re going to have to try harder at English. ( Here’s the part where he blames his phone) If you want to get kicked out of this thread keep talking shit. There’s a reason no one has jumped up to help you.
Sound like a little girl with hurt feelings. :ford:

Sponsored

shelbygt53

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I'm planning to do this and have bought most of the parts already. A lot of people keep telling me it won't work that programming is required. I don't want any type of radio, I'm doing the upgrade mostly for the CarPlay and bigger screen and the screen and module I got is from another car, Do I really need to get programing done? or is it all plug and play besides the few wire hacks?

stang1971

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Premium Plus Magnetic GT
I'm planning to do this and have bought most of the parts already. A lot of people keep telling me it won't work that programming is required. I don't want any type of radio, I'm doing the upgrade mostly for the CarPlay and bigger screen and the screen and module I got is from another car, Do I really need to get programing done? or is it all plug and play besides the few wire hacks?
read the first few pages of this thread... everything is covered pretty good.... a little programming is required, but not difficult.

OP
OP
HextallS550

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
If your APIM isn’t from a Mustang changing the code lines is required. Not because your radio won’t play but because you’ll get a bunch of errors and DTCs. The programming is the easy part and is required for full functionality. Each car is a little different though so if you get your equipment I can help with the data you need.

jcovaltine

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
So I swapped out my Sync 2 unit with a Sync 3 non nav unit running version 2.2. I was reading through on the forums and I see ford released version 2.3. My vehicle is connected to WIFI but when I click on check for software update it tells me I am running the most current version.

Is anyone else who swapped having this problem? If so how do you updated to the newest version?

I tried going on the my.ford website to download the newest version but it still thinks my car has sync 2 because that's what the vehicle came with.

OP
OP
HextallS550

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
So I swapped out my Sync 2 unit with a Sync 3 non nav unit running version 2.2. I was reading through on the forums and I see ford released version 2.3. My vehicle is connected to WIFI but when I click on check for software update it tells me I am running the most current version.

Is anyone else who swapped having this problem? If so how do you updated to the newest version?

I tried going on the my.ford website to download the newest version but it still thinks my car has sync 2 because that's what the vehicle came with.
Do you have the VIN for the car your APIM came from? If so register that VIN on myford.com and if the release has been finalized for your "new" VIN it will let you download it. That's what I did and I just updated tonight with no issues.

Orrrrr... you can get one of the bootleg versions.

Sponsored

jcovaltine

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Do you have the VIN for the car your APIM came from? If so register that VIN on myford.com and if the release has been finalized for your "new" VIN it will let you download it. That's what I did and I just updated tonight with no issues.

Orrrrr... you can get one of the bootleg versions.
The bootleg version makes me a little nervous.

Unfortunately I don’t have the VIN or even know the vehicle my APIM came from. But from my understanding can I just get a VIN from ford vehicle 2016-2017 with sync 3 non nav? Aren’t the downloads from my.ford all generic only difference is non nav vs nav and the vehicle parameters stored on the APIM.

OP
OP
HextallS550

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
The bootleg version makes me a little nervous.

Unfortunately I don’t have the VIN or even know the vehicle my APIM came from. But from my understanding can I just get a VIN from ford vehicle 2016-2017 with sync 3 non nav? Aren’t the downloads from my.ford all generic only difference is non nav vs nav and the vehicle parameters stored on the APIM.
No, they are the same software but the VIN number for the “new” car is embedded in the hex code. Registering someone else’s vehicle as yours could cause an issue. It will read your VIN during the update and store it as part of a new file that must be uploaded to Ford after updating. So when you do the update you have to actually open the file that is produced and change that line of code from your “old” VIN back to the “new” VIN in order to tell Ford it was updated. If not it won’t allow you to update in the future.

jcovaltine

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
No, they are the same software but the VIN number for the “new” car is embedded in the hex code. Registering someone else’s vehicle as yours could cause an issue. It will read your VIN during the update and store it as part of a new file that must be uploaded to Ford after updating. So when you do the update you have to actually open the file that is produced and change that line of code from your “old” VIN back to the “new” VIN in order to tell Ford it was updated. If not it won’t allow you to update in the future.
Thank you for the info. I will check again tonight to see if the automatic update is still not working. If not maybe I will contact the place I purchased the unit from (fordpimods) to see if Jason has an idea on what I could do. I was really hoping the auto updates would work. But I’m guessing it’s not validating with fords servers properly.

OP
OP
HextallS550

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Thank you for the info. I will check again tonight to see if the automatic update is still not working. If not maybe I will contact the place I purchased the unit from (fordpimods) to see if Jason has an idea on what I could do. I was really hoping the auto updates would work. But I’m guessing it’s not validating with fords servers properly.
Unfortunately OTA updates will never work because of the servers. You could risk it and use a VIN from a car on a dealer lot but if you do it will mean you have to do it that way everytime because you won't be able to send the file to Ford that tells them the "new" VIN has been updated. whether that would cause an issue with Ford, the other car's owner or a judge.... I don't know.
Do you have a friend with a premium? He could download the new update to a USB and then do his update OTA leaving you with the actual file. Once you update just don't do the last step of telling Ford it has been updated. That's basically what the bootleg versions are. I just don't trust them, especially now that Sync 3 vulnerabilities have been partially exposed.

This just highlights my number one rule: DO NOT BUY APIMs WITHOUT VINs.:thumbsup:

jcovaltine

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Unfortunately OTA updates will never work because of the servers. You could risk it and use a VIN from a car on a dealer lot but if you do it will mean you have to do it that way everytime because you won't be able to send the file to Ford that tells them the "new" VIN has been updated. whether that would cause an issue with Ford, the other car's owner or a judge.... I don't know.
Do you have a friend with a premium? He could download the new update to a USB and then do his update OTA leaving you with the actual file. Once you update just don't do the last step of telling Ford it has been updated. That's basically what the bootleg versions are. I just don't trust them, especially now that Sync 3 vulnerabilities have been partially exposed.

This just highlights my number one rule: DO NOT BUY APIMs WITHOUT VINs.:thumbsup:
Wow, I didn't think my swap for car play was going to be such an issue. LOL Unfortunately, non of my friends own a mustang. I sent a e-mail out to the place I purchased the kit. Hopefully they can help me out. Now I'm wondering if I should wait for the official release of version 3.0 since this is becoming such an issue.:headbonk:
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.