OP
OP
chazcron

chazcron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Fusion
Currently rendering a movie that highlights the hips that I carefully cut in late last night based on some persistent whispers. BIG improvement. Using some other spy pix to improve the accuracy of the the proportion of my rear overhang. I am now pretty confident of the side view proportion. I whisper-adjusted the rear quarter window too.

I still don't know if the taillight are resemble the real thing. Even with whispers, it's really hard to nail them down with any accuracy. Calling all whisperers.
Sponsored

OP
OP
chazcron

chazcron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Fusion
So the 3.5 second, full 30 frames per second, 720p movie is going to take 4 more hours. No more modeling til then. Here is the spy/render overlay I used to proportion the car. I have since shortened the windshield. It was a quick and dirty render, but a pretty good one. At least good enough to see the work I have done, the added hip, the reduced 3/4 window and good enough to tide everyone over until I post the movie. OK, I've also included a frame grab, unretouched
SideProof.gif
FrameGrab.jpg

Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 PP Mustang GT
There is one thing I don't get. If the slope of the roofline is going to remain "fastback" style,why have a rear quarter window? It does not ruin the flow,but it looks out of place.

Sponsored

Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 PP Mustang GT
BTW Chaz,what rendering software are you using?

OP
OP
chazcron

chazcron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Fusion
Animation Master. Inexpensive, but crashes often, which can be heartbreaking, even after losing just 15 minutes of work.

HGFireHazard

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
The side profile and hips do in fact look better. Way to go!

That sure is a lot of side glass though. I'm not sure if I can imagine it going back so far at quite that angle. It certainly seems like it would look much better if it was shorter.

Fordman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Taurus
The side profile and hips do in fact look better. Way to go!

That sure is a lot of side glass though. I'm not sure if I can imagine it going back so far at quite that angle. It certainly seems like it would look much better if it was shorter.
X2:D

Mriley

Wow those hips made a huge difference and really liking the roofline. I think this is MUCH better, great job chaz.

Sponsored

Mustangz

Threads
Reaction score
Well, if the actual GT looks like that, with less rear glass(rear quarter, and rear windshield glass) I will probably trade in my 2013 GT Premium, and hopefully the new GT sheds 200 pounds, and has at least a 20HP bump.

Talisman39

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus
Nice work Chazcron! Having done a fair bit of 3D CAD over my career I know how hard it is to model cars, especially with such sketchy reference material :)

I do have a couple of observations. One is that I think you've got the rear corner of the door window too high. It appears to drop a good inch or two lower than you have it, and it's on a fairly aggressive curve, which would lead to a much smaller quarter window. (The downward curve of the door window reminds me a bit of the last gen Nissan 350z, which also has a very small quarter window).

In a few photos you can see what appears to be the top edge of the quarter window cutting diagonally across the square hole, lining up nicely with the projected curve of the front window. Eg http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7323/9018020981_c758b8969f_o.jpg and http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3715/9019208848_5fc99d00e3_o.jpg

If this were left to taper to a triangle like you have it (and like the Evos), it's going to be a bit odd I think, sort of like the Subaru BRZ quarter window, a car which got significantly improved in convertible form :) So we may yet see a kick up to the trailing edge of the window.

Also, I have a feeling that the character lines you've got on the sides are not pronounced enough, especially the lower one. If you look at this photo you can get a good sense of the side profile of the door http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1077&d=1375451778

I do think you've got the slope of the rear pillar about right, judging by where the tie-down straps wrap over. It's weird, in some of the camo shots the deck looks a lot longer/flatter, but I'm hoping it's more of a fastback look as you have it here.

Not sure how easy it is to adjust things at this point, and I definitely appreciate all your effort!

91z28350

Obsessed with Horse Power
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JAMES
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT500 - 837 RWHP AND COUNTING
Really liking the new version Chaz, well done man!

OP
OP
chazcron

chazcron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Fusion
Here's my hi res close up sweep of the hips. I decided I hate the triangular window, and included a new render of what I did to it.

Thanks, Talisman, I will review and adjust it further later. I started with that profile and reached that same conclusion, but it got pushed around as I went along.

I'm liking the stance, and not having much too retouching to do as I get more rendered.

Beauty_Shot.jpg

Melino

That side view is certainly looking better. Great work man.

Did you lengthen the wheelbase in the bottom pic or is it just my imagination? It's looking tad on the long side.
Sponsored