Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT - Oxford White
  • Banned
This unit only works as a replacement for those with the Base model radio (4" screen.)

Latest UI:

updatedUI.jpg

This thread is dedicated to things KNOWN about the 10.4" Vertical Tesla
Style Head Unit running Android. This unit is Plug & Play. No cutting, splicing, or soldering required for installation.***

***Caveat, there is an optional modification that involves removing to wires from one harness, and connecting them to another, but this is not required.

Initial Review Video: https://youtu.be/DBKoeKBbjj8

[ame]

eBay Link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/162358785981

Support Site: http://stangatx.cf/

Known issues:

1. Texts don't pop up on the unit.
2. The door chime no longer comes from the car speakers, only the cluster, which cannot be heard over the stereo if loud.
3. BlueTooth audio stops playing if you leave the BT section.
4. No HD or SAT Radio function
5. Voice commands do not work from Steering wheel button. (Under development)
6. WiFi range is very limited (recommend in-vehicle hotspot)
7. Phone mirroring works on Android 7 but not 7.1.1
8. No recovery option

Known Working:

1. Plays virtually any sound or video file as well as AM/FM Radio
2. Supports Bluetooth Calls and Music
3. Works with thousands of apps on Google Play
4. Steering Wheel controls work, and are pre-programmed (with exception of voice command)
5. Backup camera works
6. Supports Front/right cameras
7. Subwoofer out (Pending confirmation)
8. Phone mirroring for Android or crApple
9. Custom Launcher Screens available
10. One-Click Root available

Unboxing photos:

Get the latest news & updates for your Tomtop/Tesla unit at: http://stangatx.cf/

The harness in the dashboard is numbered. As Patrick said, pin the harness that came with the unit 54 black and 53 yellow.

I stuffed a microfiber cloth on top of the brain to prevent that stuff from rattling.

Here's what it looks like when playing Spotify using BT audio. It displays an oliscope and the track name. You can make this full screen and get rid of the mustang and Tach/Speedo.

/!\ DO NOT UPDATE TO A NEWER FIRMWARE WHILE YOU ARE ROOTED /!\ This can brick your device. The only way to save it is to go in Recovery mode (Which right now we don't know how yet...) If you wanna update you'll need to unroot first. (You can update the APKs but not the whole Firmware)
Rooting and Updating:

First, go to stangatx.tk and follow the procedure to update the system to the latest Feb 2017 Update if needed.

If you go to "Settings" then "More Settings" and "About Device" and your software version is 5.1.1, AND YOUR SPEED SHOWS IN MPH, AND TEMP on HVAC SHOWS IN Fahrenheit, YOU DO NOT NEED ANY UPDATES.

If it shows 4.4.4, you need to do the January Update, then allow the unit to reboot on it's own, then 2 more full reboots before installing the February Update.

Then go to www.kingroot.net FROM THE BROWSER ON THE UNIT while connected to WiFi and follow the procedure for auto-root.

Follow instructions on stangatx.tk site for switching to SuperSU

Okay, now that you're rooted, install "Root Uninstaller" [RU] from the Play Store. (I recommend spending the few bucks on the Pro version) Make sure you have a copy of whatever apps you want to replace somewhere (on USB or in the download folder) then go in to [RU] and BACKUP THE EXISTING APP then Force Stop it, and Uninstall it. Now shut the car (or run power) off, and open the door, then power the unit back on. Now go back into [RU] and make sure the App you removed isn't still listed, and you are free to install the "updated" versions from StangATX. With the Pro Version, you can convert it back to a System App, and prevent accidental uninstallation later, and it won't take up space in your app list!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
Wowzers

Frenchy480

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt pp shadow black
I think I'm as anxious to get it as you were a couple days ago. Can't wait to get that base unit out.

Jknapp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CO v6 Mustang
Can't wait to get mine. Hope you take lots of pictures of install and video of it working to tide me over until I get my unit.

OP
OP
PatrickHenninger

PatrickHenninger

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
I don't know that I'll do an install video, because it's the same steps as the TomTop, but weather permitting, I may install it tomorrow. I don't think I'm gonna wait for LEDs.

Sponsored

Phantom24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Comp Orange GT PP
Patrick, thank you for all the work you put into this. I can't wait to install my kit as well.

OP
OP
PatrickHenninger

PatrickHenninger

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
Hmm thats interesting, i never got a dongle with usb ports. Ill contact the seller then.
That's because it replaces the usb ports built into the car if you use them. Instead of having one in the armrest and one in the console, you'd have 2 loose dongles floating around.

Sponsored

Smarz1018

ScubaSteve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang Eco-boost
It is gorgeous!

OP
OP
PatrickHenninger

PatrickHenninger

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just a finding, the password for advanced settings is 8861 but there's not much in there.

Also, this unit DOES give you auto climate control! Set the temperature (which is now in Fahrenheit) and hit auto, you're done!