mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
I don't particularly get wanting it installed all the time on the road. But at the same time, definitely have it installed when you're on track. Even if it takes 30 seconds to put in, it takes another 30 seconds to dig out of wherever you keep it, and if you're getting towed out of somewhere, the track is already likely stopped for you so minutes matter. The less interruption you make the better as someone who works track events. Just my 2 cents.

It is great that Ford FINALLY decided to get with it and come with a tow hook attachment. It's too bad they made vehicles for years with no good place to pull from.
Sponsored

Rael

Grateful Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
I figure I might need it if I break down on the road (daily driver,) and I won't want to worry about attaching it in the moment if I do break down.

It does no harm leaving it attached all the time, other than causing some to think I'm a poser.

adeuel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
Most tracks don't allow for the bull ring front tow hooks anyway due to close proximity contact, and most everyone has converted to tow straps instead of hooks.
If you have a four-off event on track, the wrecker will hook on to whatever is quickly and easily available - control arm, axle, etc. without regard to the outcome.

Rev68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Most tracks don't allow for the bull ring front tow hooks anyway due to close proximity contact, and most everyone has converted to tow straps instead of hooks.
If you have a four-off event on track, the wrecker will hook on to whatever is quickly and easily available - control arm, axle, etc. without regard to the outcome.
I assumed everyone was just doing the aftermarket tow hooks for looks and/or +HP.

traxiii

Mustang is my middle name
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Thunderbird F150 & '22 Mach 1 on order.
That is why all sanctioning bodies and most organized track day groups require a designated TOW point. Heck even Lemons require it, and yes you can use a nylon loop in most cases. In 35+ years working with the SCCA and others, I have never seen fully intact car towed by A-arms or axles since they started requiring tow hooks, unless they are on crashed on of top tire barriers or a tow hook is not accessible.

Last edited:

Sponsored

upsman96

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang Mach 1
FYI, if you want the orange tow hook to work with this plate holder, you will have to do a little extra work, as it has different threads than the plate holder, but ZL1 was awesome and got me the parts I needed to make it work. I'd recommend reaching out to their customer service before ordering.

20221124_133700.jpg

image2.jpg
I got to ask, how did you apply the orange rings to the fog light cutouts? They look awesome.

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
I just purchased mine, I will leave it on my daily because I like the look. I also have the license plate tow hook mount ready to install for the times I want cops to get off my ass (just got a fix it ticket for front plate).

OP
OP
Mach U

Mach U

Threads
Reaction score
Scottsdale, AZ - Winter / Carlsbad CA - Summer
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Genesis - 2021 Mach 1(HP)
I figure I might need it if I break down on the road (daily driver,) and I won't want to worry about attaching it in the moment if I do break down.

It does no harm leaving it attached all the time, other than causing some to think I'm a poser.
A. Guess I’m a poser. B. I like it and don’t care about what others think. C. I leave it on all the time and looks great. D. I had Autonation Ford install for free and for a few bucks more they drilled a hole in the original plate.

Sponsored

derklink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1
Dumb question but how do you get the hole in the right spot of the cover so it aligns with the hole in the bumper? Did you guys measure or eyeball it?

Rael

Grateful Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
I didn't drill my cover. I just left it off. Can't really see behind the hook anyway.

derklink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1
I didn't drill my cover. I just left it off. Can't really see behind the hook anyway.
I'm thinking of avoiding dead insects, debris etc. that I'd have to peel out of crevices and looking for a more "finished" appearance.

Rael

Grateful Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
Understood. I admire those who've drilled their covers. It just wasn't worth it for me.

(I've collected no insects or debris there, but I'm nowhere near the trillion-cicada invasion.)