Which car do I choose ? M1 vs 13’ GT500

JoeCee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
13 GT500
Got rid of my 14 GT500 and recently bought a Mach 1 and added a Procharger. I prefer the coyote platform. I think the 13-14 GT500s are going to be expensive to own and maintain in the coming years with parts being difficult to find. My favorite S197 is the Boss 302 and I'm fortunate to own one.
Same. Plus you blow a 5.4/5.8 that’s a $20-$25k rebuild.

OP
OP

Shanksfornothin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Teejay
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lexus IS200T
I owned a 2011 and 2013 GT500. Get the Mach in a 10 speed. My first auto trans in decades and would never go back. The gt500 is way too dated.
I love manuals, that all I drove for years and I’ve been the driver of the family car for years now, I’m really excited to get my manual back in either car, but what parts of the 13 did you feel were so poorly dated day to day what was it missing, just curious of your ownership perspective. To me some, (certainly not all) of the missing tech I enjoy in the sense of it feeling old school

OP
OP

Shanksfornothin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Teejay
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lexus IS200T
Same. Plus you blow a 5.4/5.8 that’s a $20-$25k rebuild.
So basically a GT350 rebuild? Lol!
I haven’t heard of to many stock 500’s blowing in the 13-14’s from my research they’re pretty rock solid. I mean things can happen to any car But as a whole I’ve thought of that as a solid engine

TonyNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
22 GT500HE Black Stripes, 20 GT350HE, 16 GT350R Ba
Originally I wanted the 19’ GT350, I thought the car was special, but after a deep rabbit hole I’ve decided it’s a bad daily and unbelievable
Yea, it's unbelievable alright. It's unbelievable how awesome it is.

That's too bad you took the wrong pill and went down that ridiculous rabbit hole in regards to the GT350. It's better than both the cars you're considering from my experience.

And let's be honest... I know you're fantasizing about keeping the car "forever for your 2yr old", but a lot is going to happen between now and forever.

You sound like a nice family guy. I hope you find the right car. My 2 cents: The car I think you would actually want to keep "forever" is the one that's the most special... GT350.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP

Shanksfornothin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Teejay
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lexus IS200T
Yea, it's unbelievable alright. It's unbelievable how awesome is.

That's too bad you took the wrong pill and went down that ridiculous rabbit hole in regards to the GT350. It's better than both the cars you're considering from my experience.

And let's be honest... I know you're fantasizing about keeping the car "forever for your 2yr old", but a lot is going to happen between now and forever.

You sound like a nice family guy. I hope you find the right car. My 2 cents: The car I think you would actually want to keep "forever" is the one that's the most special... GT350.
That’s a fair point. I just know with emissions getting tighter, electric cars taking over, and manuals dying cars like these won’t be around much longer, and once they are gone the price will skyrocket I’m sure, and I’m at the edge of my budget as is. Nobody know what the future holds, maybe I’m dead ass wrong. I just feel like if I want a car like this (and I do) this is the time to strike and hold on for dear life. Like buying a house during covid for 2% lol

JoeCee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
13 GT500
So basically a GT350 rebuild? Lol!
I haven’t heard of to many stock 500’s blowing in the 13-14’s from my research they’re pretty rock solid. I mean things can happen to any car But as a whole I’ve thought of that as a solid engine
I certainly have.

OP
OP

Shanksfornothin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Teejay
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lexus IS200T
I certainly have.
As a previous owner I bow to your knowledge all I know is what I’ve read and I’ll take personal experience over something from a book any day. Thanks for sharing

JoeCee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
13 GT500
I love manuals, that all I drove for years and I’ve been the driver of the family car for years now, I’m really excited to get my manual back in either car, but what parts of the 13 did you feel were so poorly dated day to day what was it missing, just curious of your ownership perspective. To me some, (certainly not all) of the missing tech I enjoy in the sense of it feeling old school
Shanks, my 19 gt has 401a package. Love the digital dash, back up camera, heated and cooled seats, heated steering wheel. The touch screen is much more advanced too. Love the different gauge configurations you can put in the dash also like cylinder head temp, air inlet temp. Also the seats are much more comfortable I hate recaro seats.

tangermean

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby Gt350, 68 Coupe
I had a 2010 GT500 (I know it's not as much hp as the 2013) a few years ago. I now have a 2019 GT350.

I miss the GT500, it was raw and just a fun car all around. The supercharged power on tap was awesome and I miss that most about it especially the whine! The chassis of the S550 compared to the S197 is quite different and has improved tremendously as well as the other creature comforts, that in and of itself would be a huge deciding factor for me especially if it is a daily like my GT500 and now GT350 are.

I do find myself wanting to add a power adder to the gt350 to find the low end torque that just isn't there, but the wail of the engine is worth the loss in torque especially when you consider that its not that much slower in a straight line.

The Mach 1 I feel is as close as you can get to comparing to the GT350 currently you get more low end torque than the gt350 which is going to make it feel a little bit livelier in day to day driving. I feel like if that's the route you are leaning toward it is a no brainer. You can always add a power adder or mods down the line that will more than make up for any horsepower and torque missing that you get with the older gt500.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Shanksfornothin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Teejay
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lexus IS200T
I had a 2010 GT500 (I know it's not as much hp as the 2013) a few years ago. I now have a 2019 GT350.

I miss the GT500, it was raw and just a fun car all around. The supercharged power on tap was awesome and I miss that most about it especially the whine! The chassis of the S550 compared to the S197 is quite different and has improved tremendously as well as the other creature comforts, that in and of itself would be a huge deciding factor for me especially if it is a daily like my GT500 and now GT350 are.

I do find myself wanting to add a power adder to the gt350 to find the low end torque that just isn't there, but the wail of the engine is worth the loss in torque especially when you consider that its not that much slower in a straight line.

The Mach 1 I feel is as close as you can get to comparing to the GT350 currently you get more low end torque than the gt350 which is going to make it feel a little bit livelier in day to day driving. I feel like if that's the route you are leaning toward it is a no brainer. You can always add a power adder or mods down the line that will more than make up for any horsepower and torque missing that you get with the older gt500.
You daily your 350? What’s that experience been like? How many miles does it have on it ?

tangermean

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby Gt350, 68 Coupe
You daily your 350? What’s that experience been like? How many miles does it have on it ?
I bought it near the end of 2022 with 17,XXX miles on it. First time I have bought a car site unseen but I did check the service records and car fax report and got tons of detailed pictures from the seller before proceeding. Trust me I was very nervous through the whole process.

That being said the car was exactly as described and has been great! I have just north of 32,XXX miles on it now. I am the 5th owner which was also kind of scary but the car is in amazing shape. The only mods that it has from the previous owners are a resonator delete X-pipe, one of the blue K&N style air filters, and weirdly enough aftermarket Tie down points which is extremely odd considering the suspension and everything else on the car is bone stock. Makes me wonder if one of the previous owners tracked it (if they did I haven't been able to tell) I drove several all with much less miles and this drives and feels just as tight and sharp.

It has both of the Ford Performance catch cans and there is very minimal oil in the passenger side one when I do oil changes, not enough to notice on the dipstick and I check pretty often.

I did a ton of research on the GT350, which is why I went with a 2019 and up for the Gen 2 engine to hopefully help mitigate some of the oil burning issues that were more prevalent with the Gen 1 engine cars, plus to awesome puddle lamps and unique Ford Performance Blue color.

I love the car, it is comfortable to drive daily. The ride is great considering it is a car that leans towards being track focused and less a comfortable cruiser. It does like/need RPM to really move around in traffic which was a big adjustment for me. The first 2-3 weeks I had it I found myself shifting around 6500rpm when driving aggressive and forgetting that it can rev much higher.

That being said I rarely run it out as I drive pretty conservatively 98% of the time. The brakes are amazing, the cornering limit is way more than you will reach driving it on the streets. Switching it into sport mode tightens the magnaride down a noticeable bit and opens up the active exhaust which is just right with the resonator deletes and really changes the character of the car and makes it even more fun to drive when you get the chance to push it a bit.

CobaltFilly

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
First Name
Davis
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7L V6 Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
That’s a fair point. I just know with emissions getting tighter, electric cars taking over, and manuals dying cars like these won’t be around much longer, and once they are gone the price will skyrocket I’m sure, and I’m at the edge of my budget as is. Nobody know what the future holds, maybe I’m dead ass wrong. I just feel like if I want a car like this (and I do) this is the time to strike and hold on for dear life. Like buying a house during covid for 2% lol
Gas cars aren’t going anywhere.
Don’t buy into the Californian retoric! (Says the Californian)

Rael

Grateful Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
Gasoline engines may remain longer, but no more Challengers, Chargers, or Camaros. Ford won't be able to afford making pure V8s for itself, and already stopped producing other car models. European cars are already electrified.

I suspect a lot of us feel like these are the last new true muscle (I.e., non-electrified) cars we'll ever have available.

v guy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RP
Vehicle(s)
99 SVT
I don't hear "my wife will drive the M1 beast"........ at all..

Seriously, a Mustang GT is a far cry on the street from a M1 or Shelby GT350.

My sons wife will not drive his 16 Gt 350.....and my lady friend will not drive my M1..

Why..YOU HAVE TO DRIVE THESE CREATURES EVERY SECOND....ROUGH RIDE,...DARTY, QUICK........

Family life is a gift..don't get divorced about the confined life....... where you want a hot rod and have to sneak one in.....
Sponsored