Help me justify a price-short throw shifter

GR8 V8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
‘15 GT Ruby Red
I will be buying a short throw shifter for my 15 Mustang. As with everything, the prices have increased. I’m considering Mgw, Barton and Tri Ax. The Mgw is $499. The Barton hybrid is $439 with their current 20% off. The Tri Ax is $599. My question is if the Tri Ax THAT good of a shifter to command that price tag? Or do I go with the Barton if they’re all close. What would you do? Thanks.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Farkel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT Premium PP1, 2012 Jeep JK, 2022 Harley 48
I have no experience with Barton or Steeda (Tri-Ax) shifters, but I will say that no one with an MGW (including me) seems to have any regrets or complaints.

robvas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The stock shifter is so bad anything would be a worthy replacement. $500 for a shifter hurts though.

Kingballer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
16 Magnetic Whipple GTPP (totaled), 22 Oxford GTPP
Loved my trans mounted Barton short throw shifter. I never experienced high rpm lock out that I would occasionally get with the factory body mount shifter.

OP
OP
GR8 V8

GR8 V8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
‘15 GT Ruby Red
Thanks for the replies.
$500 sure does hurt. $600 for the Steeda is even worse. It’s probably going to be a toss up between MGW and Barton.

Sponsored

coz0502

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Memorial day is about 2 months out, usually some good sale opportunities there. If you're looking for savings and not needing it immediately (I know this 2nd part is hard for me too), you may want to consider waiting and see if you can get it on sale.

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Crew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
Trying to justify the price for the item won't get you very far OP.

Try asking yourself: if I were to get a short shifter, how much value and enjoyment will I get from it alone?

If the simple answer to that question is a ton of enjoyment, then the money aspect should reflect that (spend more for what you want and get something high quality). If it is not that significant of a change in driving enjoyment, than you should limit the price range to something cheaper; or possibly not do it at all.

sms2022

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SS
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 premium
Mgw or Barton. Have heard mixed review on the Tri axe for the price.
I liked my mgw but prefer the steeda bracket for daily driver use. It will be swapped in again before I really start tracking the car

OP
OP
GR8 V8

GR8 V8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
‘15 GT Ruby Red
Trying to justify the price for the item won't get you very far OP.

Try asking yourself: if I were to get a short shifter, how much value and enjoyment will I get from it alone?

If the simple answer to that question is a ton of enjoyment, then the money aspect should reflect that (spend more for what you want and get something high quality). If it is not that significant of a change in driving enjoyment, than you should limit the price range to something cheaper; or possibly not do it at all.
Well made point. So with that being said, I then need to ask myself if the Steeda is $100 or $160 better which was pretty much the point of this thread. Was just asking in case I wasn’t seeing something.

Last edited:

RTR077

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT RTR Spec 1
Steed has 15% off today $522.....

Sponsored

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Crew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
Well made point. So with that being said, I then need to ask myself if the Steeda is $100 or $160 better which was pretty much the point of this thread. Was just asking in case I wasn’t seeing something.
For you, I would wait for it to go on sale and then just buy the Steeda. Once there is a discount applied you will feel better about saving some money rather than the feeling of paying full price.
Just get it. ✌

OP
OP
GR8 V8

GR8 V8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
‘15 GT Ruby Red
Thanks.$522 is for the Ecoboost. No sale for the GT.

nicksalvadore24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium PP1
MGW seems to be the most popular favorite in my research. I had the same question as you and came to MGW as the conclusion. That's what I'll be going with when I do a short throw shifter

CoachFarb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Louis
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT 50 Years Limited Edition
The price of the shifter itself is one thing, but the install price adds on a whole new layer. I have been quoted $400 for the install from one local shop that specializes in these type of mods. I have only heard good things about the MGW and I did have one installed on my 2007 GT. That install was much less involved and I did it myself in an hour or two.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
PM tj@steea and see if he can give you a code for a forum discount.

As far as the Steeda Tri ax goes, I’ve been very happy with mine for the last 3 1/2 years. I installed the stiff springs in mine and I have a Steeda knob too.

I also had a Barton on my 2013 GT and quality and functionality were both great.
Sponsored