Steeda Coolant Overflow tank question

vinny89gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
LaFlamaBlanca
Vehicle(s)
2023 Iconic Silver GT PP
It's a shame the Steeda tanks don't have a way to view how full it is like the competitors in the market.
Sponsored

Amac8487

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT350/ '16 C7 06
It's a shame the Steeda tanks don't have a way to view how full it is like the competitors in the market.
Only problem, is then that becomes the weak point. The amount of pressure within those tanks is imagine is very high….. and to have a little plastic tube with 2 connection points is sure to leak at some point. I think they safeguarded themselves. It’s not too hard to take the cap off and look inside … that was my thought process when I chose steeda over the competitors with a view chamber at least

OP
OP
Lorne34

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Only problem, is then that becomes the weak point. The amount of pressure within those tanks is imagine is very high….. and to have a little plastic tube with 2 connection points is sure to leak at some point. I think they safeguarded themselves. It’s not too hard to take the cap off and look inside … that was my thought process when I chose steeda over the competitors with a view chamber at least
This comment for sure. The mishimoto has been hit and miss with site tube problems. I love the concept but not going to risk it....

OP
OP
Lorne34

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Jamie brings over three decades of experience as a technician to the table and plays a crucial role in our Steeda Performance Vehicle program. His wealth of knowledge ensures that any advice he offers is reliable and valuable.

Best Regards,

TJ
Thanks TJ,
I appreciate the reply. It's difficult when everyone is giving a different opinion and really not sure what to believe. The reason I questioned the fill level is because the oem plastic tank was not filled up very far from half way.. seemed a bit less than half.
I also purchased a new motorcraft cap and it did the same thing the first one did. Screwed on very hard at first and then "bottomed out" at the end. There was no "click" or slotted type of feel to it whatsoever. I lubed the threads with silicone to keep the plastic cap from drying out and then screwed it on as tight as I could past the bottoming out stage.
The "old" cars used to have a metal radiator cap with was spring loaded and clipped in place. The coolant overflow tanks just had a slotted notch in them (like the shelby oem) that indicated when to stop turning.
I am hoping just tightening it down as far as I can is sufficient and not damaging anything with the cap or not allowing any type of pressure release factor to be inhibited.
Sorry, I tend to overthink these things...

Last edited:

Amac8487

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT350/ '16 C7 06
Thanks TJ,
I appreciate the reply. It's difficult when everyone is giving a different opinion and really not sure what to believe. The reason I questioned the fill level is because the oem plastic tank was not filled up very far from half way.. seemed a bit less than half.
I also purchased a new motorcraft cap and it did the same thing the first one did. Screwed on very hard at first and then "bottomed out" at the end. There was no "click" or slotted type of feel to it whatsoever. I lubed the threads with silicone to keep the plastic cap from drying out and then screwed it on as tight as I could past the bottoming out stage.
The "old" cars used to have a metal radiator cap with was spring loaded and clipped in place. The coolant overflow tanks just had a slotted notch in them (like the shelby oem) that indicated when to stop turning.
I am hoping just tightening it down as far as I can is sufficient and not damaging anything with the cap or not allowing any type of pressure release factor to be inhibited.
Sorry, I tend to overthink these things...
Its funny, just after you posted this thread I went out and checked my reservoir... I couldn't remember if the Steeda had baffles in the tank, obscuring your view of the coolant inside. It does NOT have visible baffles, and I can easily see how much fluid is in there. Given that there is no "gauge" I think it is safe to say that as long as there appears to be at least 1/2 filled in the tank, and no more than 3/4 filled, you should be good to go. The actual amount doesn't really matter, as it is an OVERFLOW tank... so as long as there is some in there, you're fine.

Totally right with the cap. It is VERY hard to unscrew. I had to use pliers with a towel over it (not to mar the cap). I too put silicone grease on the threads to make it a bit less tight. I think it is smart to stick with OEM cap (or your new motorcraft). I remember reading in the past that Steeda recommended this, and I've read with other vehicles to be sure you have the proper PSI rating on the cap. I have had my Shelby for 6 years now... and have had this tank/cap combo the last 5 years and it has been issue free.

I am at my 6th year mark, and per the maintenance manual, the coolant should be flushed at 6 years or 100k miles. I will be flushing this soon... but you should be good with the cap that's THAT tight,, Mine is the same :)

OP
OP
Lorne34

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Its funny, just after you posted this thread I went out and checked my reservoir... I couldn't remember if the Steeda had baffles in the tank, obscuring your view of the coolant inside. It does NOT have visible baffles, and I can easily see how much fluid is in there. Given that there is no "gauge" I think it is safe to say that as long as there appears to be at least 1/2 filled in the tank, and no more than 3/4 filled, you should be good to go. The actual amount doesn't really matter, as it is an OVERFLOW tank... so as long as there is some in there, you're fine.

Totally right with the cap. It is VERY hard to unscrew. I had to use pliers with a towel over it (not to mar the cap). I too put silicone grease on the threads to make it a bit less tight. I think it is smart to stick with OEM cap (or your new motorcraft). I remember reading in the past that Steeda recommended this, and I've read with other vehicles to be sure you have the proper PSI rating on the cap. I have had my Shelby for 6 years now... and have had this tank/cap combo the last 5 years and it has been issue free.

I am at my 6th year mark, and per the maintenance manual, the coolant should be flushed at 6 years or 100k miles. I will be flushing this soon... but you should be good with the cap that's THAT tight,, Mine is the same :)
thank you for your reply I really appreciate it. Congratulations on 6 years with your shelby. What an awesome car to own. Love your color combo
Sponsored