Mt82 to 10r80 swap

Joshua1130

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt, 2009 Silverado
Was wondering if anyone has done a manual to 10 speed swap and if so what’s all needed to be done car is a 2019
Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Dittios EFI

A ruff hardware list
Starts at the flywheel, converter, transmission & maybe a drive shaft.

Electrical, plugs & sensor wiring are most likely there. Reflash of computer or code pramaters adjusted to recognize the swap

more to follow I am sure.

OP
OP

Joshua1130

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
Yeah I found a shop that sells the whole lot with everything from center console to tcm just wanted to get a idea if anyone has done it yet

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
but you're better (and cheaper) off to just trade in your car for an auto equipped one.
^ This, +1.

There's getting all the physical, mechanical items moved over, installed and aligned properly.

But there's also a new PCM, harness and the car would have to be coded to operate with one.

I can see where it could be worth it: if you were in the process of converting the car to a purpose-built track or drag race machine. But for a street car, even if you are skilled at that level, with all the costs, I can't see it. And if considering the resale value, even more so.

Welcome to the forums BTW. :like::clap: :party:

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/introduce-yourself.6728/

Edit: the car market has been softening for the last few months. I'd balance the $$$, effort and time vs. trading over to a machine with an 10R80.

Last edited:

Sponsored

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0
Dittios EFI

A ruff hardware list
Starts at the flywheel, converter, transmission & maybe a drive shaft.

Electrical, plugs & sensor wiring are most likely there. Reflash of computer or code pramaters adjusted to recognize the swap

more to follow I am sure.
Add cooling system to that list and perhaps a drive shaft.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Yeah I found a shop that sells the whole lot with everything from center console to tcm just wanted to get a idea if anyone has done it yet
Has it been done? I highly doubt it.
Converting a manual to an automatic is the exact opposite of what is usually done.
And there's a reason you don't see it done. It's financial suicide. You want to take a desirable stick shift Mustang and convert it to a less desirable automatic and you want to pay thousands of dollars for that. You will simultaneously devalue your car, spend probably $15k and end up with a quirky, likely unreliable car. A car that, when it breaks down (and it will), no one will want to work on.
If this is a dedicated track or race car, give it a shot.
If it's a street car or your daily driver then, for God's sake, take the knowledgeable peoples advice and sell the stick car and buy a nice automatic. He'll, with the value of your car and the insane amount of money you would spend on a conversion you could probably afford a good used GT350...

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Curious, what do they want for it?
Oh and did they mention the whole lot was probably salvaged?

OP
OP

Joshua1130

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
Curious, what do they want for it?
Oh and did they mention the whole lot was probably salvaged?
They wanted around 5200 shipped was gonna install and program it my self through forscan if not take it to a nearby shop to get it programmed
I meant the whole kit sorry for 10r80 swap

Last edited:

Jstang23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Eruption Green
They wanted around 5200 shipped was gonna install and program it my self through forscan if not take it to a nearby shop to get it programmed
I meant the whole kit sorry for 10r80 swap
You could absolutely sell your car and spend the extra 5200 to get a factory 10 speed car. But as a 10 speed owner, why do you want to swap it? Sure its faster than the manuals but they can be funky when they're cold.

Sponsored

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Crew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
Has it been done? I highly doubt it.
Converting a manual to an automatic is the exact opposite of what is usually done.
And there's a reason you don't see it done. It's financial suicide. You want to take a desirable stick shift Mustang and convert it to a less desirable automatic and you want to pay thousands of dollars for that. You will simultaneously devalue your car, spend probably $15k and end up with a quirky, likely unreliable car. A car that, when it breaks down (and it will), no one will want to work on.
If this is a dedicated track or race car, give it a shot.
If it's a street car or your daily driver then, for God's sake, take the knowledgeable peoples advice and sell the stick car and buy a nice automatic. He'll, with the value of your car and the insane amount of money you would spend on a conversion you could probably afford a good used GT350...
LOL completely agree with everything you said. 🤣

I saw the title and literally thought it was just a typo title.
Assumed it was converting automatic to manual. That just isn't worth the trouble.
But actually this thread was to convert manual to automatic. DEFINITELY NOT WORTH IT.

Sell and buy again. OP don't you dare convert that manual to an auto. You will completely ruin the value of the car, drain yourself of funds doing it and put yourself through a bunch of unnecessary stress. Sell to someone wanting a manual and make your way on over to those lovely stealerships and get yourself a fancy overpriced auto-manual. 🤡

Jstang23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Eruption Green
Because MT82s aren't fussy when they're cold right? They are smooth as butter all the time with no clunking, grinding etc.?
Yes, to my knowledge MT82s are not clunky like the 10r80 is when its cold.

CobaltFilly

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
First Name
Davis
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7L V6 Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
As an automatic only driver, PLEASE DO NOT RUIN this beautiful manual car or waste your money and time by doing this swap.

sell it, and buy an auto car, or enjoy the car you have.

And no, no one at all has likely done a swap like this.

OP
OP

Joshua1130

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
Yes, to my knowledge MT82s are not clunky like the 10r80 is when its cold.
I take it you haven’t had a mt82 car they’re dog shit cold warm hot doesn’t matter clunky as hell and hit or miss when trying to get a built one
Sponsored