Bullitt or GT350 Throttle Body?

JRogers1322

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Picked up a 2016 GT to mess with. Needs a new intake manifold, so went ahead and upgraded to the GT350. Car currently has an Airaid CAI and what I'm pretty sure is the Bullitt 87mm TB. An adapter plate is $99, and the GT350 TB is $175. Is there any good reason to go with one over the other? And on that note, any good recommendations for a tuner around Raleigh, NC?
Sponsored

Last edited:

xcm77

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Claudiu
Vehicle(s)
Bullitt 2020
The Bullitt has the GT350 TB, they are one and the same part

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
The Bullitt has the GT350 TB, they are one and the same part
Not exactly... Physically yes, electronically no. If your car is a 2016 and already has the TB then it is a GT350 TB. Bullitt TBs are for 18+ electronics.

xcm77

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Claudiu
Vehicle(s)
Bullitt 2020
Not exactly... Physically yes, electronically no. If your car is a 2016 and already has the TB then it is a GT350 TB. Bullitt TBs are for 18+ electronics.
Interesting, didn't know that. thx

OP
OP

JRogers1322

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Thanks. I've got it figured out. Still looking for a good tuner around central NC if anybody has one...

mikengail

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium Convertible A10
If you have the GT350 Intake Manifold, as I understand it, you should no longer need an adapter for your GT350 TB. Your model TB is analog and the Bullitt is digital for 18+ only. I just finished upgrading the Edelbrock 2650 supercharger on my car from the stock TB to the Bullitt. Had to have the adapter ported to get the full effect of the increased area available for airflow, but it worked. The TB mount for the stock 80mm TB on the Edelbrock is 90mm, so I had plenty of room for porting the adapter to 87.5mm.

What I frequently see happen on N/A cars is the stock 80mm TB is "upgraded" to the GT350 or Bullitt TB's, depending on the year, with the Ford Performance adapter. This adapter goes from about 87.5mm, as I measured mine, to about 82mm so it will fit the stock Coyote intake manifold. Therefore, the net increase in area available for airflow is not all that much (Area = Pi times the Radius Squared). The resulting increase on the dyno is very little, if anything, and usually well within a normal margin for error. Basically, not worth the trouble and expense.

If one has their stock intake manifold ported to take full advantage of the 87mm AND has their adapter ported to match, only then can they take full advantage of the 7mm increase in TB diameter. Thereafter, depending on the costs of porting, it might make sense to go for the 87mm TB. Basically, to see any real benefit, for the expense and effort, when going from the stock 80mm TB to the 87mm, you have to either swap for the GT350 or Bullitt (not sure whether they're both the same) intake manifold or have the stock Coyote manifold and associated adapter BOTH ported.

Lastly, to take full advantage of the potential increase in overall intake airflow, a 120mm CAI will help even more. My stock Ford CAI was 99.7mm in diamter. I used a modified PMAS 120mm open-air type filter element CAI for my Edelbrock. In my particular case, the rwhp went from 666-669 with the stock 80mm TB and stock CAI to 693-697 with the 87mm TB, all on 91 pump gas. Two runs on the dyno each time, one with exhaust cutouts closed and one with them open. The increase with them open was not nearly as much as I would have expected. Interesting stuff. I hope this helps...
Sponsored