Sponsored

2016 Mustang GT shuddering

Tempyy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Mustang GT PP
Every time I let off the clutch coming out of first gear the car shudders or vibrates, it has a little under 9,000 mikes and I've been fairly easy on the clutch, if that's what it is. If I try to start in second gear the car shakes pretty bad. Any idea what the problem might be?
Sponsored

Last edited:

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Is this your first manual transmission car? My first guess would be you're bogging the engine down by not using enough revs.

OP
OP

Tempyy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Mustang GT PP
Is this your first manual transmission car? My first guess would be you're bogging the engine down by not using enough revs.
Yes it is but I've never had it shudder before until recently. I don't think it's the revs, might be something else

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Because you said the shuddering happens even worse in 2nd gear, that definitely points to your bogging the motor with too few revs. Your saying it hasn't happened until recently might just mean it's a new bad habit you've picked up somehow.

I could be wrong, but that's the best guess based on the info you've provided.

OP
OP

Tempyy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Mustang GT PP
Because you said the shuddering happens even worse in 2nd gear, that definitely points to your bogging the motor with too few revs. Your saying it hasn't happened until recently might just mean it's a new bad habit you've picked up somehow.

I could be wrong, but that's the best guess based on the info you've provided.
I'll keep that in mind and try giving it a few more revs and see if the problem goes away. Thank you :)

Sponsored

OP
OP

Tempyy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Mustang GT PP
Clutch plate worn from newbie to manuals driving for 10K miles?
100% possible, we all have to learn at one time or another. The first 1k miles were pretty rough :shrug:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Every time I let off the clutch coming out of first gear the car shudders or vibrates, it has a little under 9,000 mikes and I've been fairly easy on the clutch, if that's what it is. If I try to start in second gear the car shakes pretty bad. Any idea what the problem might be?
Does it stop shuddering once your foot is off the clutch pedal? If so, it's probably a clutch problem.

OP
OP

Tempyy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Mustang GT PP
Does it stop shuddering once your foot is off the clutch pedal? If so, it's probably a clutch problem.
Yeah it stops once I get going

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Clutch disk and plate is probably worn funny if it didn't have a good life during the learning phase.

Sponsored

Grimmer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Manual
Sometimes mine does that too, but not always and not the slow chugga-chugga of revs too low. It is more of a fast chatter during engagement like a not so smooth flywheel that is grabbing then slipping repeatedly except it only does it once in while. And I would expect that a messed up flywheel would do that all the time.

What it does do most of the time is a nice smooth engage right up until the last tiny bit then it feels like it snaps solid suddenly usually resulting in a single "chug". I've been wondering if possibly some of the buffer springs in the clutch disc may have broken and their "shock absorbing" effect has diminished so that the disc is "bottoming out when the clutch grabs.

Anybody else experience this? Had it diagnosed or repaired successfully?

Grimmer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Manual
How much free play is there supposed to be in the clutch pedal? I've always felt that mine disengages too close to the top. It is almost immediate when pressing the clutch pedal. Worst still, it seems to me that the helper spring cams over about 2/3 of the way through the re-engagement creating an uneven and nearly uncontrollable finish to engaging the clutch. I've also been concerned that the throw-out bearing isn't getting fully released.

I even wondered at one time if perhaps the ECU and/or throttle mapping was doing something fishy... but the "Track" mode is supposed to be more or less a direct map from the pedal to the throttle body and testing in "Track" mode didn't change much with regard to that last moment lock-up/grab of the clutch or the resulting "dip".

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
Clutch should have about 1/2 inch of free travel,sounds like both u guys have hot spots and possibly warped your flywheel or clutch disc.

Grimmer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Manual
For clarification, the free play is the distance between the pedal at rest and where it starts to offer resistance. Mine has two stages, completely loose for a tiny bit, then what feels like the hydraulics starting to pressurized, then the second is where it gets really stiff and starts to disengage the clutch. Is the 1/2" supposed to be the free slop, or the distance to the extra stiff disengagement?

Also, is there any way to burnish off the hot spots without disassembly?

UglyMutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Sounds like you glazed the clutch and are getting some chatter from it not hooking up. Are you getting any clutch slip?
Sponsored