NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
I was curious as to what some of you may have done if you've ever picked up your car from the dealership and found it had excessive miles for what you dropped it off for.

I left mine at the dealership about a week ago to get serviced for some overspray from the factory that Ford agreed to fix under warranty (of course). I left a MyKey with the service guys but I'm always afraid that someone may want to go joyriding so I can at least tell how many miles were put on and limit what they can do in the car. Last time I left it to get detailed and it came back with 1.7 MyKey miles and I found that strange since the service shop is right there at the dealership :shrug: I'm picking up my car tomorrow, BTW.

Anyway, has anyone run into a situation where miles were added to the car that just didn't line up to the what it was serviced for? What kind of hell did you raise?
So, you haven't had any issues yet, but you're going to go right ahead and get prepared in case it does happen?

When I drop my car off, I tell whomever takes the keys I know exactly how many miles are on the car, and that I expect to get it back with no more than "X" additional miles on it.

No extended test drives, no joy-riding.

Make yourself clear, and you won't have any problems.

Bravo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Turbo Box
I dropped my GLI off once to have the steering wheel aligned (was mis-aligned from the factory).

Picked it up to find an extra 20 miles on the clock. Also found a Wendy's receipt in my cup holder. I suspect they tested it out on their lunch break.

The car was otherwise spotless, but I let them know that it was strike 1.

Strike 2 came when they placed a 2" gouge on the bottom of my steering wheel while fixing a headliner issue. They replaced the $1000 steering wheel, so all is good there, but they're on thin ice now.

I've thought about leaving notes that the mileage has been noted, etc, but there is little I can do beyond that. I generally cringe when I leave my car at service centers. Ugh.

Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
...I've thought about leaving notes that the mileage has been noted, etc, but there is little I can do beyond that. I generally cringe when I leave my car at service centers. Ugh.
Dude....:doh:

Sack the fuck up, and tell the service writer as you wolf-stare him, that if there is any extra miles on the car, there will be big fucking trouble. Tell him you've recorded the mileage, and they can put 1 mile on it, and that's it.

Be specific; no un-necessary test drives, no runs to Mickey Ds, no additional miles. Have him go out to the car with you as you take a picture of the odometer with your phone.

Seriously, what the hell happened to being a man in the US? It's your damn car, be a man and tell them to respect it.

blitzburgh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BMW M2C

Sack the fuck up, and tell the service writer as you wolf-stare him, that if there is any extra miles on the car, there will be big fucking trouble. Tell him you've recorded the mileage, and they can put 1 mile on it, and that's it.

Be specific; no un-necessary test drives, no runs to Mickey Ds, no additional miles. Have him go out to the car with you as you take a picture of the odometer with your phone.

Seriously, what the hell happened to being a man in the US? It's your damn car, be a man and tell them to respect it.
:amen: No need to have the interior of your car look like the cockpit of an Apache Longbow. Just tell them don't drive it more than a mile or so.

Dspec_S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White Mustang Ecoboost
That's funny right there... Wamm, wammm, wammmmm, shift, repeat. All with the engine off. Priceless. :clap2:
thats good shit. I was pleasantly surprised!

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Challenger Scat Pack

Bravo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Turbo Box

I hear you there - not sure why I was so relaxed after that first joy ride they took - I guess I didn't really care at the time. I did rip them a new one after they tore open the steering wheel.

I don't have the luxury of having too many shops near by, so I tend to try to maintain a good relationship with the one convenient one that I have. With that said, there isn't anything wrong with having them respect the customer.

Sponsored

ApollosWar89

Analyst
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Vehicle(s)
In the Market
I hear you there - not sure why I was so relaxed after that first joy ride they took - I guess I didn't really care at the time. I did rip them a new one after they tore open the steering wheel.

I don't have the luxury of having too many shops near by, so I tend to try to maintain a good relationship with the one convenient one that I have. With that said, there isn't anything wrong with having them respect the customer.
Making such requests to the extent that the service in the contract can't be provided adequately probably doesn't mean a damn thing. I've posted the legal contract you enter upon dropping the vehicle off that gives them every right to take the vehicle out for a test drive pertaining to the maintenance of course but to adequately assess they are returning a vehicle that is safe for the customer.

#3 Below gives them the right to put however many miles they need to on a vehicle to ensure it is safe for use. An "excessive" amount of miles would probably have to show proof of causing unreasonable depreciation in value due to the miles. Below you also see that if they do a piss poor job or faulty work and offer to make it right. By refusing, you accept the issues due to your own negligence. While the vehicle is in the dealerships possession its a temporary transfer of property.

Read up on Types of Bailment Relationships.

"Automobile Mechanic Liability
When you leave your car with a mechanic for repair or service, you have a bailment relationship with the mechanic. As a result, has several legal duties. Specifically, the mechanic must:

1. Treat your car with a reasonable standard of care until you pick it up.
2. Make repairs in a skillful, careful, and workmanlike manner. He must have the ordinary skills of other mechanics.
3. Inspect your car to make sure that it is not a danger to the driver or other driver and repair the car to make it safe for use.
4. Give a written estimate and receive authorization before doing any repair work, in many states. In these places, even if the mechanic does excellent work and charges a reasonable price, the mechanic cannot recover for his work because he gave no estimate.
5. Not engage in fraud, concealment, low balling, or bait and switch.
6. Not make unauthorized or unnecessary repairs.

When Is the Mechanic Liable for Damages Resulting from Faulty Service?
A mechanic is liable for damages if you suffer damages as a result of negligent repairs. For example, if the mechanic uses the wrong parts or misplaces a part, and then your engine explodes when you start the car, the mechanic is liable. It does not matter if you already paid the bill and find out about a problem later. The mechanic is still liable.

However, if the mechanic offers to correct his negligent repairs at no cost, and you choose not to, you cannot claim that he caused you damage because you failed to have the problem fixed. Also, you cannot cause the damage through your own negligence or assumption of risk."

"A bailment is a temporary transfer of property to another for a limited time and for a specific purpose. Not all bailments are the same, but they generally share many of these characteristics:

Indefinite Term vs. Fixed Term
How long are the goods supposed to be held? A person who deposits their items for a set amount of time and then doesn't come back for them may give up their rights to the property. In this situation, it may be considered abandoned property. But if there was never an agreement on how long the property was to stay, there is no abandonment unless the owner is given notice.

Involuntary vs. Voluntary
In a voluntary bailment, another person accepts responsibility for the items. In an involuntary bailment, someone ends up with the goods without ever intending to do so. Involuntary bailments most commonly occur with dry cleaners and auto shops. In these situation, the holder of the items must take care of them for a reasonable time period. "

Bravo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Turbo Box
In my case - I let the excessive miles fly (though in reality they probably just went highway exit to highway exit and back...that's about 20 miles). This was the 2nd time that I was asking them to correct the steering wheel alignment, and figured they wanted a long stretch of highway to confirm.

The Wendy's wrapper got me more upset :p

But yeah - legally there is absolutely nothing that you can do about a 20 mile test drive on your vehicle. They'll say that they were attempting to make it safe every time. The best thing would be to be up front and request as short of a test drive as possible, and hope that the mechanic is honest.