Sponsored

Very Frustrated!!!!

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
I doubt a hood blemish will cause any more diminished value than the car already has the moment you drive it off the lot. Terrible trade in and resale value.
Sponsored

aspensilver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2006 MBenz SLK55 AMG - '97 BMW 540I - 2010 Audi S4
I guess you are rich compared to me, but I don't consider ANY car that you are paying $40k for, a cheap car. That is insulting. $40k is a lot of money and you shouldn't have anything wrong with a new car that costs $40k unless it's a recall. Ridiculous that you think that is okay.

I do agree with your last point though. Cars are meant to be driven. Months or years down the road, someone should expect chips, scratches, dings, etc, if they are driving the car. But new? No way.
Ya what a joke

OP
OP
scottmoyer

scottmoyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT and 2016 GT
Is that spot on the hood the only one?

Jesus Dude, relax, it's no big deal. Seriously, these are cars, and cheap ones at that. If you are looking for perfection, spend the real money and buy a Porsche.

Have a local dealership work through ford to get the hood re-painted, and move on with life. Or just leave it, it's no big deal.

I really don't get the obsession so many people here exhibit. They're cars, meant to be enjoyed, used up, and traded in. No one is going to diminish the value of the car in 5 years because of that.
You must have a reading impediment! I stated, very clearly in my first post, that these marks are on all horizontal surfaces of the car. The entire hood, roof, trunk lid and rear quarter shoulders are covered in these marks.

Since it's no big deal to you to buy a $43k car and have flaws, why don't you buy the car from me? Maybe you buy things and "use them up" and don't really care what they look like, but I do. I traded a 2006 Silverado with 160k miles on this car, and it's paint was in better shape. The pic below is the night before I traded it in!

Also, a repaint WILL diminish the value of the car. My 2014 had to have the driver's side door repainted, and when I checked with multiple dealers on trading it in, I was quoted over $5k less than if it was original. For the record, I have also had a professional appraisal done on the '14 to prove to insurance the loss of value. This loss of value happened within 1.5 years, so your comment about nobody will diminish it's value in 5 years is just plain ignorant!
20170811_192053.jpg

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Is that spot on the hood the only one?

Jesus Dude, relax, it's no big deal. Seriously, these are cars, and cheap ones at that. If you are looking for perfection, spend the real money and buy a Porsche.

Have a local dealership work through ford to get the hood re-painted, and move on with life. Or just leave it, it's no big deal.

I really don't get the obsession so many people here exhibit. They're cars, meant to be enjoyed, used up, and traded in. No one is going to diminish the value of the car in 5 years because of that.
a lot of people take their paint seriously. Over in the Cosmetic upkeep section people spend a lot of time in debating the best ways to car wash, wax, two bucket, etc. Some folks don't want the dealership to wash their new car with "dirty rags" when they buy a new car. With your approach, everyone should just go through the automated car wash at the gas station, and move along.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
You must have a reading impediment! I stated, very clearly in my first post, that these marks are on all horizontal surfaces of the car. The entire hood, roof, trunk lid and rear quarter shoulders are covered in these marks.
O.k., that's something totally different. Yes, I missed that point.

I would take it back and demand every dime back, and buy a different car.

Sponsored

OP
OP
scottmoyer

scottmoyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT and 2016 GT
Ok, I came up with an idea. If Ford does not authorize a buyback, I will repaint the top surfaces of the car, but in a way to maintain value, not lose value. I will need Ford to authorize the repaint at my own shop instead of a dealer bodyshop. What do you guys think?
blacktop.jpg

Vato

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Saleen White Label
Vehicle Showcase
Great idea!

If no paint, then maybe at minimum a wrap.

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Ok, I came up with an idea. If Ford does not authorize a buyback, I will repaint the top surfaces of the car, but in a way to maintain value, not lose value. I will need Ford to authorize the repaint at my own shop instead of a dealer bodyshop. What do you guys think?
I wouldn't.

Either let Ford repaint the standard color, or try for a trade or buyback. Can you negotiate a trade ? Maybe get a PP or Premium or something, and throw a little money their way, as a compromise.

Also, a repaint WILL diminish the value of the car. My 2014 had to have the driver's side door repainted, and when I checked with multiple dealers on trading it in, I was quoted over $5k less than if it was original.
How did they know the door was repainted ?

OP
OP
scottmoyer

scottmoyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT and 2016 GT
Why would I want to negotiate a trade? My car is a Premium. It's a California Special. If by trade, you mean a full vehicle replacement, then that is an option I need Ford to approve under the buyback options. Why wouldn't you do the custom paint? If I can have my shop do the work, it'll be much better than anything Ford will do at a dealership.

No matter how good you paint something, unless you completely take the car apart, there are signs to look for, for a repaint. Dealers know this. The only way they knew was by the feathered paint line inside the door jamb. Also, the orange peel is difficult to match exactly, so a keen eye will see the better than factory clear. They also use a paint gauge around the car to find paint thickness variances.

So I thought the front end looked a little bland, so I added the dual stripes. I think I like this. Since the interior is black with red stitching, this will be a nice match.
2stripe.jpg

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I guess I would not want the car repainted by either Ford or an independent paint shop. I doubt a re-paint will hold up as well as factory paint under the hot sun. And the top surfaces get hotter than the side surfaces. And dark gray or black paint will get even hotter.

Do they have a C/S with more options that you might want ? Can you get C/S with PP ?

Otherwise buyback is probably best. Let the dealership figure out the paint situation. Ideally they would file any losses on their insurance, or else go after that the nearby industrial facility. Can't imagine yours is the only car that got affected.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
I highly doubt Ford will do that. They did years ago when Ford and Chevy both had issues with peeling due to improper substrates. Im really surprised Ford is entertaining a repaint or buy back at there expense. The damage to the paint is not from anything defective nor did it leave the factory like that. Its chemical damage from somewhere. I dont blame you one bit for wanting it being corrected. Its a really pretty car and scheme. It all could have been avoided if the dealer did a proper PDI before you ever actually got to do yours. I hope it works out for you whatever the outcome.

Sponsored