Trackaholic's GT350 Experience

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
:lol:
Thanks for the smile
Sponsored

OP
OP
Trackaholic

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
Well, used up a large portion of driving karma today.

Was taking a friend home from martial arts class around 9:00, going about 75, when around a bend we see a CHP sitting on the side of the road. I brake significantly, but of course by the time you see them it is already too late. I see him accelerate quickly and pull in behind me, so I'm already pulling over by the time he puts on the lights (plus my exit was approaching).

I exit the highway, stop on the frontage road, turn off the car, roll down the windows, and keep the hands on the wheel. Cop tells me I was going 73 in a 55 (highway does go from 65 to 55 right where he was staking out). I mention in passing that I was thinking it was still 65 but don't argue, gave him my paperwork, and after going back to his car for a few minutes he let's me off with a warning. Said, "I know it's a nice car, and you want to drive it fast, but please watch your speed."

I've had several speeding tickets over the years, but this was my first warning. Was very lucky and thankful that I didn't get ticket. I think he took into account that the limit had just changed, the road was empty, and I didn't argue or complain and remained polite. Or maybe he was just so impressed by the car he could understand how hard it is to keep below 80.

Needless to say I was the slowest car on the road for the rest of the drive. Will need to be very calm and polite to the other drivers (even slow-asses in the fast lane) to build up some karma again.

Stay safe out there!

-T

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
It's nice when that happens. Good job remaining polite as that is the only chance you have of them letting you go with a warning (or if you have family members in law enforcement ;)).

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
I have yet to be ticketed for speed, a Trooper, young too, gave me a warning 2 years ago. I really enjoy the twisty's. Polite is right.

OP
OP
Trackaholic

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Went to Buttonwillow for the first time on 10/14 with Speedventures. I was in a great run group, and used a transponder for lap times (as well as Harry's Lap Timer on my iPhone). Harry's was within a couple tenths of the transponder, so definitely good enough for my needs.

I went with my good friend Todd (who owns a Viper ACR) and another Viper ACR owner who is also a friend of Todd's.

Buttonwillow Track Map for the 13CW configuration:
72104-miata-challenge-3-buttonwillow-raceway-park-sunday-4-14-2013-brp13.jpg

As always, the day at the track was a blast (that's what everyone always says about track days .... they are a blast ..... but I still haven't thought of a better way to describe the experience). I had watched a few videos the night before, trying to find one that seemed to be showing decent lines. Ended up settling on this one which seemed to have good instruction:

[ame]

The first session I went out with Todd as my passenger and he helped me fine-tune the line and give me some tips about where I could really get on the gas. Ended up putting down a high 2:08 lap (basically a 2:09). I did get a little lost at one point, confusing the two hills (Cotton Corners and Phil Hill/Lost Hills), and ended up going WAY too fast at the entry to Lost Hills (which has a sharp right then left leading to the hill). I ended up having to abort the right turn and just drive straight off track, and then re-enter at the bottom of the hill. Once thing nice about Buttonwillow is that you can go straight off track and be relatively safe. No walls and pretty flat dirt makes it pretty safe as long as you go off straight. Anyhow, after a brief discussion with the marshals in pit lane, I was let back on track to continue the mayhem.

Second session I went out alone and got down to a very high 2:06. Continued working on the faster sections on the track, trying to remember the corners. I was able to get the line pretty well, as long as I remember where I was on track. Due to the flat nature of track, the color of the dirt, and the fact that lots of people push the limits and drag dust back onto the line, I had a tough time seeing the course when I was looking ahead through the corners.

Third session was after lunch and a long break, and I lost my rhythm and ended up going slower than before.

Then, before the 4th session I rode with Todd in his ACR and really got a feel for how fast some of the corners could be taken. That car is simply astounding in terms of power and grip. He was running on Hoosiers, so the tires were quite sticky, and of course that car has lots of aero help as well. What really helped me the most was seeing where he was able to stay planted through a series of corners, rather than lifting as I was likely to do.

Based on that ride, I was able to really improve in the 4th session and got my time down to a low 2:05. It was finally starting to come together. Unfortunately I was pretty wiped out after a long drive the night before and the upcoming drive home that evening. I therefore did not run the open session at the end of the day, and decided to finish on a high note, with a lap that was basically 4 seconds faster than in my initial session. What's funny is that it felt like the time differential would have been much more than 4 seconds, especially when the ACR was running in the 1:50 flat range (another 15 seconds faster than my best).

I was running similar times to an E46 M3 on stickier tires. We always ended with me a tenth or so faster, but him more consistent. On that last run however I had started to pull away as I was starting to get more confidence in the track and the car. The M3 was a beautiful blue (Laguna Seca blue, maybe?) and in great shape. It is shown in the video. Once of BMW's finest cars IMO.

The GT350 was amazing on the track and on the long drive to and from the track. Very comfortable as a grand touring car, and then able to tear it up at the track in totally stock form. There is something nice about not needing to change tires, brake pads, suspension settings, etc. Just cruise in, haul ass, and cruise on home.

What a great day! But I do need to change the brake pads (24,000 miles and 4 track days).

Here is a very choppy video of my final session. Watch on a small screen to avoid seizures, and enjoy the sound mostly.

[ame]

The photography guys also did some short slow-mo videos:

[ame]

[ame]

Also some photos. The last one shows the end of my off-track excursion on the first session. Nice dust storm! And is that a little air in the first photo?

-T
BW__2849_Oct1417_CaliPhoto_small.jpg
BW__6544_Oct1417_CaliPhoto_small.jpg
BW__0602_Oct1417_CaliPhoto_small.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsored

barstowpo

Witness Protection Prog
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gordon
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GT350 Tech/Track hybrid, 2016 FPRS Car#17
I did the track tour at Buttonwillow. It is amazing the speed a pro can carry in these cars. Puts my measly laps to shame.

OP
OP
Trackaholic

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So how do you like Buttonwillow compared to T Hill and Sonoma? Trying to plan my next trip down :)
They all have their pluses and minuses.

I am much more familiar with the original T-Hill course, and it was always one of my favorites. The only time I've been there in the GT350 was for the 5-mile, and I never got comfortable with the new side. I definitely need to go back and give it another go.

Sonoma was lots of fun, but there are a couple spots known to be somewhat dangerous (mostly to car, not driver), so you need to be a bit careful. I've only been there once in my 350Z and once in the GT350, and had lots of fun both times (although the power steering pump on my Z do go out while I was there, so I didn't get many runs in). Sonoma has lots of elevation changes which makes it pretty exciting.

Buttonwillow was actually extremely fun. Partly because it was the first time, but also it has a very nice mixture of fast and slow portions, a couple decent straights (but not too long), and a couple small hills that mix things up a little. I also had that guy in the M3 who was running similar laps so it was fun for us to chase each other around a bit.

Honestly I think I had more fun at Buttonwillow than at the other tracks, but it could have been due to a couple of different reasons. I guess additional data at all those tracks is required!

In terms of location, it is tough to beat Sonoma (Sears Point) due to all of the wineries nearby. Good stuff to do while not on track. Buttonwillow and T-Hill are more in the middle of farm land, so not as much nearby.

-T

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Well, used up a large portion of driving karma today.

Was taking a friend home from martial arts class around 9:00, going about 75, when around a bend we see a CHP sitting on the side of the road. I brake significantly, but of course by the time you see them it is already too late. I see him accelerate quickly and pull in behind me, so I'm already pulling over by the time he puts on the lights (plus my exit was approaching).

I exit the highway, stop on the frontage road, turn off the car, roll down the windows, and keep the hands on the wheel. Cop tells me I was going 73 in a 55 (highway does go from 65 to 55 right where he was staking out). I mention in passing that I was thinking it was still 65 but don't argue, gave him my paperwork, and after going back to his car for a few minutes he let's me off with a warning. Said, "I know it's a nice car, and you want to drive it fast, but please watch your speed."

I've had several speeding tickets over the years, but this was my first warning. Was very lucky and thankful that I didn't get ticket. I think he took into account that the limit had just changed, the road was empty, and I didn't argue or complain and remained polite. Or maybe he was just so impressed by the car he could understand how hard it is to keep below 80.

Needless to say I was the slowest car on the road for the rest of the drive. Will need to be very calm and polite to the other drivers (even slow-asses in the fast lane) to build up some karma again.

Stay safe out there!

-T
I have always said that these cars are an excersize in self control.

I commonly catch myself and quickly correct.

Thanks for the post

Sponsored

raiderjatt02

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jessie
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Track Pack; 1995 GT - Saleen Clone
That first picture is just plain awesome. Now that I've been to the NorCal tracks a few times, I need to work my way down south and try the rest of them out. Buttonwillow is high on my list!

live2ride90

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Nice write up man! We used to call that the "wheelie bump" when I raced my bike there, pretty cool to see a car catching air over it :)

barstowpo

Witness Protection Prog
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gordon
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GT350 Tech/Track hybrid, 2016 FPRS Car#17
Put Willow Springs on your list too.

icormba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Jeep SRT8 / GT350R / FocusRS
Put Willow Springs on your list too.
That first picture is just plain awesome. Now that I've been to the NorCal tracks a few times, I need to work my way down south and try the rest of them out. Buttonwillow is high on my list!
It would be great to do a California Track Tour, then branch out from there to other tracks around the country. I'm sure a lot of folks on the forum (or that other forum we are not to speak of) do just that.

bay584

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTPP
Thanks for keeping this thread alive! Can't wait to hear more.

Since you're in the Bay Area, do you frequent Hwy 9 or 130 up Mt. Hamilton?
Sponsored