Finally getting suspension goodies installed

OP
OP

DennisP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
As another follow-up, TFB was (and still is) extremely communicative during the install process, which took a lot longer than expected, because of their packed schedule and some missing components (J&M links were missing a couple of spacers in the box) and they are currently helping me diagnose the whistling sound that I noticed on my ride home. Checking their work in my garage at home last night, I noticed that they marked every bolt off after it was torqued down so nothing was missed, which is always a good sign of an organized shop.

All in all, they were and continue to be extremely professional and all of the guys appear to be very knowledgeable.

They do it all, but suspensions and alignment are their specialty. I would say anyone in the Northern CA area looking to have their S550 suspension tuned should check them out. Ok, shameless plug over! :)
Sponsored

markmurfie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT
My guess on the whistle you are hearing is the differential. The poly diff mounts transfer the noise into the subframe and chassis. I have the solid aluminium ones and its loud. I had the diff lock outs and it whistled, but you couldn't hear it over the radio or exhaust. The aluminium ones you can. The diff mounts are not the easiest part ot replace and I am sure the whistle isn't anything to worry about. as long as there is no clunking noises or it doesn't get louder.

OP
OP

DennisP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
What about low speed clunking, like from a dead stop and shifting into first or abrupt throttle from 2nd to 3rd? I noticed that when I was almost home yesterday.
What obvious things should I be looking out for as a "problem"?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
It's interesting you mention that and thank you for providing that information. I wonder if that explains what I feel sometimes with my car during corners. The car feels like the rear tires are grabbing more when I accelerate hard in a corner. It's almost like I can feel the additional camber trying to pull me around the corner - whereas if I were to take the same corner same speed as before, but completely off the throttle - very different feeling. In the second scenario I would not feel as confident at holding a line.

It's almost like the more you push it the more it carves - up to a point obviously. Now maybe none of that is what I'm feeling and none of this makes any sense :shrug:
That could very well be the case, as not only are you rolling into the best overall contact patch, you're also increasing weight transfer to the rear. The camber angle generates some lateral thrust in addition for allowing the contact patch to be optimum.

GTPP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
What about low speed clunking, like from a dead stop and shifting into first or abrupt throttle from 2nd to 3rd? I noticed that when I was almost home yesterday.
What obvious things should I be looking out for as a "problem"?
Could it be drive line slop? I have less slop after those mods, but mine is louder now if i screw up a shift.. The only other clunking I had was from the front sway bar. The ford performance bar does not have stops, so it can shift from side to side when the steering is close to full lock. Mine went away after i put on screw down locks.

Sponsored

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
So [MENTION=28068]DennisP[/MENTION] - how do you like the handling of the car after the mods?

The clunk you describe sounds like driveline slop although mine didn't start until I added differential bushing inserts and RLCA bearing at same time.

OP
OP

DennisP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
It's a pretty big difference; much "tighter" and the floaty feeling is gone. I haven't really pushed it yet, but it feels planted and gives me the confidence to apply more throttle. Stickier and wider tires are needed to really complete the package and that's next on my list!
Also, despite all of these components, the ride quality is also improved; firm but not harsh and uneven roads and bumps are handled smoothly. Other than that intermittent whistling sound, I'm extremely happy.
I'm wondering if the Delrin dowels from Steeda for centering the cradle, combined with the Poly-diff lockout kit are the culprit?

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
It's a pretty big difference; much "tighter" and the floaty feeling is gone. I haven't really pushed it yet, but it feels planted and gives me the confidence to apply more throttle. Stickier and wider tires are needed to really complete the package and that's next on my list!
Also, despite all of these components, the ride quality is also improved; firm but not harsh and uneven roads and bumps are handled smoothly. Other than that intermittent whistling sound, I'm extremely happy.
I'm wondering if the Delrin dowels from Steeda for centering the cradle, combined with the Poly-diff lockout kit are the culprit?
Does the whistling sound come out when you're in the throttle and stop when you let off? If so, is bc of the diff lockout. I think its normal to expect some NVH with all the parts you got on there.

I get the whine/whistling when on the throttle at certain times and clunking in the drivetrain on certain downshifts or situations where engine load changes abruptly. These seem to be normal with the diff inserts. So I'm pretty sure that's where your noises are coming from. I've even checked with Steeda and this is just par for the course when doing the diff bushings. Pretty annoying g considering it claims to have little or no NVH. I and quite a few others have found this to not be the case.

I'm actually considering taking them out. I think the performance difference is minimal and the NVH is probably not worth it. Securing the LCA is way more important than the diff I think. I'm sure the diff inserts/lockout helps but I'm not sure how much.

OP
OP

DennisP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
The whistling came and went seemingly randomly. It would literally fade in and then fade out or stop on its own and did not seem to be affected by me being on the throttle or just coasting, different speeds, or braking/ not braking. It's bizarre. Keep in mind this was happening literally within a couple of minutes of leaving the shop that did the install and on most of the 30 mile drive back home.
About half of the way home, I stopped for gas and the sound completely went away for the second half of the drive until I noticed it very faintly again after I exited the freeway.
I explained all of this to TFB and they are pondering it but nothing definitive yet. I'm going to be driving the car a lot this weekend, so I'm just going to monitor what it does and see what happens. If it keeps doing it, I might bring it back to them to try and diagnose what's up because at its loudest, the sound is louder than my exhaust!

OP
OP

DennisP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Ok this is not inspiring confidence.
I drove the car to my kids school for an event earlier and toward the end of literally a 7 minute drive, I started hearing a sort of high pitched squeal/ grinding type noise. I don't think it's brakes but can't really tell whether it's coming from the front or rear of the car. It was embarrassing pulling into a crowded parking lot with my car making that not healthy sounding noise. Any ideas guys? I'm feeling like I may have made a mistake messing with the suspension on my car; extremely unhappy right now. :(. The worst part is that the shop that did my install is closed until Tuesday...

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Ok this is not inspiring confidence.
I drove the car to my kids school for an event earlier and toward the end of literally a 7 minute drive, I started hearing a sort of high pitched squeal/ grinding type noise. I don't think it's brakes but can't really tell whether it's coming from the front or rear of the car. It was embarrassing pulling into a crowded parking lot with my car making that not healthy sounding noise. Any ideas guys? I'm feeling like I may have made a mistake messing with the suspension on my car; extremely unhappy right now. :(. The worst part is that the shop that did my install is closed until Tuesday...
Under what conditions does it do that?

OP
OP

DennisP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
I was just driving along and it started right after I made a right turn. It wasn't continuous, but came back several times in the next few blocks and again right as I turned into the parking lot.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I was just driving along and it started right after I made a right turn. It wasn't continuous, but came back several times in the next few blocks and again right as I turned into the parking lot.
Only turning? Only left? Only right? Braking? Accelerating?

OP
OP

DennisP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Took it out again to listen closely. It's definitely some kind of a "screech" sound, metallic. It starts up at low speeds, a couple of times it started right after the car shifted from 1st to second, and when I was pulling into my driveway, turning left seemed to initiate it. Now that I think about it, turning in general is when it usually starts up, then fades after 5 or 10 seconds. I could swear that I can faintly hear it constantly at a lower volume while cruising along going straight, but my exhaust and A/C are making it inaudible.

I hit a back road to push the car a little bit and it performed beautifully at higher speeds with no strange noises that I could discern. The whistling noise has not come back but maybe this faint screech is an evolution of whatever was causing the whistle...

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Took it out again to listen closely. It's definitely some kind of a "screech" sound, metallic. It starts up at low speeds, a couple of times it started right after the car shifted from 1st to second, and when I was pulling into my driveway, turning left seemed to initiate it. Now that I think about it, turning in general is when it usually starts up, then fades after 5 or 10 seconds. I could swear that I can faintly hear it constantly at a lower volume while cruising along going straight, but my exhaust and A/C are making it inaudible.

I hit a back road to push the car a little bit and it performed beautifully at higher speeds with no strange noises that I could discern. The whistling noise has not come back but maybe this faint screech is an evolution of whatever was causing the whistle...
Check your brake dust shields.
Sponsored