Mustang GT vs Mustang GT Premium Package

2veloce

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT/CS PREM CONVERTIBLE AT
Having come from an 03 Cobra Convertible that was heavily modified for drag racing, I wanted something with all of the creature comforts. I intend to drive my Premium Convertible for a couple years and then decide if I want to modify it.
Sponsored

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
I only got a base because I had no idea that the premium was more than just a 8" screen and some leather (didn't want leather). Do I regret not having premium? Outside of the rear bumper/valance not really but I've already corrected the things I didn't like. Next time I will go for premium though.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
I went from a Premium 2012 GT BPP car, to a base 2016 GT PP car.

I didn't want Ford's "leather" seats that wear like shit, and didn't want the big screen in the dash. The fabric seats are massively more comfortable. I do miss the better stereo and Mycolor for the gauges.

Last edited:

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
After even more research, I've JUST realize that there are:

PP - Premium Package
PP - Performance Package

So, can someone confirm, on:
- Premium Package, you get Sync 3, Reverse Sensors and the likes
- Performance Package, those offer larger wheels and probably larger brakes and such

Right? Or am I totally off the mark...?
Premium is a submodel it is not a package. There are three submodels in the Mustang lineup; Base, Premium and Shelby GT350.

The Premium you get over the base heated/cooled leather seats, Sync 3, multiple colored ambient lighting, pony puddle lights, dual zone HVAC, toggle switch controlled driving modes and Shaker Stereo.

Reverse sensors are an option available on base or premium (an option I see no need for since they all come with a backup camera).

Blind spot monitoring, cross traffic sensors memory seats, Shaker Plus stereo (sub woofer) is an option package on the Premium. Navigation is an option on the Premium. There is a Premier Trim package available on the Premium that gives you nicer materials and soft touch surfaces and some different color options for the interior.

Performance Package is available on base or Premium and includes larger tires and wheels, more sport oriented suspension, bigger brakes, steeper gears, chassis stiffening and more cooling capacity.

The way the options are packaged in the Shelby GT350 are somewhat different and of course the much more powerful engine and even more performance oriented suspension that the Performance Package.

LICobra

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 K0933
I have a 15' base GT/PP and I ordered it in 2014 as soon as the local dealer started taking orders, my purchase at the time was solely based on best bang for the buck....although I did opt for the Recaro's because I wanted as close to the previous years Boss 302 at the time.
The only thing I didn't realize until it arrived was the rear valance and lack of factory diffuser. I didn't realize it and since the car was so new the salesman did explain all the differences. I eventually installed the rear premium bumper myself and changed the diffuser.

If I did all over again....I would have ordered the 400A premium package with the performance package and not ordered the Recaro's.

Does it make sense to order a premium package to get heated and cooled seats in leather, just to give them up for 1500 leather Recaro's ??

Sponsored

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
I have a 15' base GT/PP and I ordered it in 2014 as soon as the local dealer started taking orders, my purchase at the time was solely based on best bang for the buck....although I did opt for the Recaro's because I wanted as close to the previous years Boss 302 at the time.
The only thing I didn't realize until it arrived was the rear valance and lack of factory diffuser. I didn't realize it and since the car was so new the salesman did explain all the differences. I eventually installed the rear premium bumper myself and changed the diffuser.

If I did all over again....I would have ordered the 400A premium package with the performance package and not ordered the Recaro's.

Does it make sense to order a premium package to get heated and cooled seats in leather, just to give them up for 1500 leather Recaro's ??

Lemme know when you want to get rid if them recaros. I'll come pick em up :lol:

Semi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
79 ford f250 7.5l/2015 gt pp ruby red

I understand your logic but if you consider what the recaros cost on their own they've obviously given some discount due to the car not coming with stock seats.

Heated and cooled seats I personally could care less about but the memory function is something I'd have liked to have.

I am with you though, if I had ordered the car I'd probably have skipped the recaros much as I enjoy the look and comfort.

EJS2016

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT Premium, 6A, 3.55 / '08 GT
My '16 is a Premium w/401A.
It did not come standard with navigation.
Navigation was a $795.00? stand alone option that I did not order.
I always know where I'm going:thumbsup:

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Because I am old an have a few extra bucks.

texasboy21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP. 2005.5 Audi A4, 1983 Silverado
The base package has both drive modes and a backup camera.

I do agree that those look very nice, especially in the red color.
I did not know that about the camera, thanks for that. I couldnt imagine using the tiny screen however.

I thought the base model didnt have drive modes, just the ability to turn the Advanced Trac off. I dont think that is the same thing. With Sport+ Advanced Trac stays on, but is slightly neutered and the ABS logic changes along with steering feel. In track mode, the Advanced Trac is disabled and the ABS logic is further adjusted.

**Lets not turn this into a drive mode thread lol**

Last edited:

Sponsored

LICobra

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 K0933
I understand your logic but if you consider what the recaros cost on their own they've obviously given some discount due to the car not coming with stock seats.

Heated and cooled seats I personally could care less about but the memory function is something I'd have liked to have.

I am with you though, if I had ordered the car I'd probably have skipped the recaros much as I enjoy the look and comfort.

It was an easy decision to get the Recaro's on a base GT/PP because I wasn't giving up any conveniences...like heated or cooled seats that are slightly easier to get into, although I don't know if the stock cloth seats are more comfortable.

I never realized that the Recaro's were so expensive, so if I ever decide to down grade to standard cloth seats, there not an even swap...:clap2:

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
I did not know that about the camera, thanks for that. I couldnt imagine using the tiny screen however.

I thought the base model didnt have drive modes, just the ability to turn the Advanced Trac off. I dont think that is the same thing. With Sport+ Advanced Trac stays on, but is slightly neutered and the ABS logic changes along with steering feel. In track mode, the Advanced Trac is disabled and the ABS logic is further adjusted.

**Lets not turn this into a drive mode thread lol**
You're correct. But let's face it, real men drive without the nannies.:D

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
FYI the base 15 - 17 has 4 traction control/Advance track settings:

1) Normal
2) Sport which leaves TC and stability control on with the same calibration as Track in premium models)
3) TC off
4) Advance Trac off (turns TC and stability control off)

Setting is selected by one momentary push button.

Premium models have drive modes which include normal, sport +, track, and rain/snow modes that are selected via one toggle switch. TC and Stability control can be turned off using a separate toggle switch.

Both versions can change the steering setting independently of the other settings.

In the 2018's ordering MagneRide shocks requires the performance package and either the 101A/301A package or the Premium version. This is because the MagneRide setting which are controlled by the drive mode settings.

18's with MagneRide also get another driving mode called "Drag" or similar.

The "adjust your noise level" option also needs Premium GT or 301A as I recall but since I don't want it I don't care. :-)

texasboy21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP. 2005.5 Audi A4, 1983 Silverado
You're correct. But let's face it, real men drive without the nannies.:D
And those real men end up online after wrecking into crowds and smacking curbs.. because everyone is a professional/instructor level driver and those nannies just slow them down.. right? :lol: :ford: :headbonk:

Rambl3r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 PP GT
Pretty much the toggle switches and the rear valance. I didnt care for the screen, navigation or the pony lights.
Sponsored