Sponsored

Tonneau covers, what to do with 'em?

sr1200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Vert
So, I've had my S550 for a month, and the top has been down a lot. I anticipate having lots of top down days with it, I love it!

However, my tonneau (sp?) covers are still in the factory bags. Am I supposed/required to use them? If so, oops. If not, well, I'm putting them away forever. Are they required at a certain speed perhaps?
Sponsored

Fordever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Convertible
When I first bought my car, I always used them. Only a few minutes to install/ remove.... but now I have a wind deflector installed and my covers will not fit, so I shelved them.

bee bop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 GT Vert, 2016 GT Vert
They are not required. They are just to make the sides look better with the top down by covering the openings where the side rail retract into. other than that they serve no real purpose.

OP
OP

sr1200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Vert
Sounds like I'll take them out of my trunk and never look at them again!!! Thanks!

SterlingStangMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Magnetic Ecoboost
If you want to part with them, if the price is right I will take them off your hands. A kind of neat feature is you cannot raise the top if they are in placed, sensor or some type prevents it from raising.

Sponsored

Rob00GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT Ragtop
I think their main purpose is to clean up the appearance when the top is down, like if you're showing it off. Car show, cars & coffee, etc.

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
A Hidden function

One of the unknown benefits of using them is to prevent dirt from blowing into your top and creating problems such as dirt on the roof, dirt on the gears and electrical connections, and dirt congregating at the bottom of the car, creating condensation to trap water.

Also, it keeps animals from finding a home either while you are driving it, or while it is sitting at home.

I always use mine just to mitigate the dust issues.

Thanks

CVCashmere

OP
OP

sr1200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Vert
If you want to part with them, if the price is right I will take them off your hands. A kind of neat feature is you cannot raise the top if they are in placed, sensor or some type prevents it from raising.
I won't part with them, but I'm just tired of moving them around in my trunk all the time. :lol:

Lightning

Miss my 93
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
50th anaversery GT, 2019 Golf R
Vehicle Showcase
When I first bought my car, I always used them. Only a few minutes to install/ remove.... but now I have a wind deflector installed and my covers will not fit, so I shelved them.
That's weird, I have no problem puting mine on :shrug:

Hellman109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Convertible (See my garage)
Vehicle Showcase
I always use mine just to mitigate the dust issues.
I rented a 'vert out of Vegas last year, what convinced me to buy one here in Australia and when I put the top down for the first time sand POURED out of the top, it was crazy. I have no idea how it even got in.

Stopped off at a servo and used the vacuum there cause I had the car for a week.

Sponsored

Fordever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Convertible
That's weird, I have no problem puting mine on :shrug:
The deflector has hooks/clips/hangers that hang off the edge of the plastic side piece where the covers would go. I just assumed the covers would not fit because of the hanger on the deflector. I will have to revisit. :cheers:

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
So...the covers may keep sand out of the top too.

Also...stripes and wheels are now installed. Pictures coming soon.

CVCashmere

The deflector has hooks/clips/hangers that hang off the edge of the plastic side piece where the covers would go. I just assumed the covers would not fit because of the hanger on the deflector. I will have to revisit. :cheers:

carlg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS
Just saw this post.

Anyone have a picture of these?? I just got my car in February and I'm not sure if I have these.

If so, where can I find them stored? Wondering if I didn't get them. I bought my car used.

MX5Racer

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rixclix.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
You really can't miss them if you have them. About 16" long, 5" wide and same color as the plastic interior (grey). It was not uncommon for them to be missing from the factory, or in my case, I had 2 left sides. Luckily, this forum gave me a heads up to check before signing.:headbang:

carlg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS
You really can't miss them if you have them. About 16" long, 5" wide and same color as the plastic interior (grey). It was not uncommon for them to be missing from the factory, or in my case, I had 2 left sides. Luckily, this forum gave me a heads up to check before signing.:headbang:

Guessing I don't have em.

Thanks!!
Sponsored