Sponsored

New exhaust - will it quieten down?

CaptainSensible

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black Mustang V8 GT Coupe
Hi all,

So had my first mod fitted last week, a Kooks Axle Back Exhaust. Much like everyone else, I listened to a ton of videos online before choosing, but really loved the deep classic muscle car rumble of this system.

Now it's on all I can say is wow, it really does have a deep rumble when pottering about, but sounds like an animal once you floor it. In terms of tone, it's exactly what I was after.

However, one things which has taken me by surprise is quite how loud it is, especially at start up. On the American Muscle website it was listed as a 3/5 for loudness, so I thought it would be loud but sensible, but it doesn't sound far off a straight through system.

Maybe I've just been a but naiive, the mufflers are much smaller compared to the stock ones, so perhaps I should have realised. I've not got a lot of experience of modding!

However I am wondering if it will calm down at all once it's had the chance to bed in. The whole car only has 500 miles on the clock, so the resonator hasn't got many miles on it yet either. The car is my daily driver, so if I'm driving sedately I want a nice burble but nothing OTT.

Anyway, that's enough rambling, over to you guys!
Sponsored

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Yes it quietens down after about 500 miles :).

R3v

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT MT & Recaro
For a year and half I've had Ecoobost with MBRP Race Catback - it was pretty deep for a four cylinder, but deep meant in this case a hell lot of a drone even while cruising, unpleasant noise in the cabin and overall discomfort. I swapped for a 2017 GT recently and bought a Corsa Sport which has more exotic sound but it's godly. Corsa make sick job of redirecting the sound backwards and it has absolutely zero drone.

AmericanMuscle rated it as 4/5 on loudness scale and I tell you - it's not loud at all inside the cabin and during cruising it's like a stock. It's hell of a loud during cold start and it can be really loud on WOT.

MBRP Race was rated 3/5.

So to answer your question... it depends. Corsa is louder outside but it's a quality masterpiece and I fully understand their prices. MBRP Race was much louder and annoying inside, Corsa is just so pleasant experience when you step on it.

It depends on the exhaust and build quality.

And regarding quieting down. Maybe a little bit. But you probably won't notice it at all. If it annoys you at the beginning you either get used to it or it will annoy you even after breaking in.

OP
OP
CaptainSensible

CaptainSensible

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black Mustang V8 GT Coupe
Thanks for all the replies so far, that's really useful. I'm certainly going to stick with it for the time being at least to see if it changes over time. Not looking for a massive change, just a little more civilised at low revs. Still want it to sound like an angry lion when pressing on!

Sponsored

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, so basically the exhaust when it's "fresh" the padding, and all that good stuff isn't coated up in carbon or properly embedded, after a few hundred miles you're good to go for a consistent sound.

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
Think someone had some success is taming their exhaust by extending their tips a bit further outwards from under the car. Don't recall exactly what the post said or where it was but Encyclopaedia Manderica might ;)

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Think someone had some success is taming their exhaust by extending their tips a bit further outwards from under the car. Don't recall exactly what the post said or where it was but Encyclopaedia Manderica might ;)
Nope, can't remember who, but I do remember someone moved it out more.

Your exhaust will also quieten down if the clamps are slightly loose which lets gase out 'downstream' of the tail pipes... But I wouldn't recommend that lol!

McXtravert

Threads
Reaction score
Cambridgeshire, formerly Aberdeen, Scotland
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT - Competition Orange
for what it is worth... mine seems to have gotten noisier in terms of WOT = all hell breaking loose.

Drone on MBRP still an issue for the Mrs. But then again, she is now banned from driving it.

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
for what it is worth... mine seems to have gotten noisier in terms of WOT = all hell breaking loose.

Drone on MBRP still an issue for the Mrs. But then again, she is now banned from driving it.
Knowing women, she probably drives how they're taught, change gear as soon as the car tells them too, so if she drops below 70 in 6th she'll just have severe drone when revving back up (and subsequently labouring the engine etc), But then again, your mrs ruined your wheel, so what does she know :lol:!

Sponsored

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic

Oh dear :D

SteveyB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 5.0 GT fastback, Ruby Red Auto, custom.
For a year and half I've had Ecoobost with MBRP Race Catback - it was pretty deep for a four cylinder, but deep meant in this case a hell lot of a drone even while cruising, unpleasant noise in the cabin and overall discomfort. I swapped for a 2017 GT recently and bought a Corsa Sport which has more exotic sound but it's godly. Corsa make sick job of redirecting the sound backwards and it has absolutely zero drone.

AmericanMuscle rated it as 4/5 on loudness scale and I tell you - it's not loud at all inside the cabin and during cruising it's like a stock. It's hell of a loud during cold start and it can be really loud on WOT.

MBRP Race was rated 3/5.

So to answer your question... it depends. Corsa is louder outside but it's a quality masterpiece and I fully understand their prices. MBRP Race was much louder and annoying inside, Corsa is just so pleasant experience when you step on it.

It depends on the exhaust and build quality.

And regarding quieting down. Maybe a little bit. But you probably won't notice it at all. If it annoys you at the beginning you either get used to it or it will annoy you even after breaking in.
Is your Corsa sport a cat back or axle back? I'm going through the decision process at the moment and the more I see and hear the more undecided I get.
Another one I'm considering is the Magnaflow catback as sold by Profusion Customs in the UK, they seem good value at around £800 for a full system.

R3v

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT MT & Recaro
Is your Corsa sport a cat back or axle back? I'm going through the decision process at the moment and the more I see and hear the more undecided I get.
Another one I'm considering is the Magnaflow catback as sold by Profusion Customs in the UK, they seem good value at around £800 for a full system.
Catback. Corsa naming is quite confusing, Sport axleback is actually a part of Extreme catback and the axleback itself is slightly louder than the Sport Catback - check this one: http://fordauthority.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/2015-Mustang-GT-Corsa-exhaust-graphic.jpg

IMO, go for catback, the price difference is not that bad and you don't have to cut and for the full sound experience you need the double X pipe. Msg a guy named [MENTION=10926]beefcake[/MENTION] here on forums, he has a sick pricing. I initially checked the exhaust on CJ Pony Parts and they asked another 1k USD for a shipping to Europe. Beefcake offered a sick and unbeatable pricing to Europe.

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
Catback. Corsa naming is quite confusing, Sport axleback is actually a part of Extreme catback and the axleback itself is slightly louder than the Sport Catback - check this one: http://fordauthority.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/2015-Mustang-GT-Corsa-exhaust-graphic.jpg

IMO, go for catback, the price difference is not that bad and you don't have to cut and for the full sound experience you need the double X pipe. Msg a guy named [MENTION=10926]beefcake[/MENTION] here on forums, he has a sick pricing. I initially checked the exhaust on CJ Pony Parts and they asked another 1k USD for a shipping to Europe. Beefcake offered a sick and unbeatable pricing to Europe.
:)

Spider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY17 GT MY19 Bullitt
Mines was as loud as hell when it was new and it's still as loud as hell :D:doh:
Sponsored