Sponsored

Why are there 2 different tones for the door chime?

MustangDaily

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, Auto
Just wanted to bring this thread back up as I seem to be experiencing this.

The door chime changed when I put the windows down with the key fob and remote start afterwards. So when I got in, the chime changed into the old chime that's in the older models. I got home and turned the car on and off to see if it disappeared but it still had that old chime. I know the car doesn't have any issues regarding software, does anyone have an idea? I actually prefer the newer one as it sounds more integrated.
Sponsored

mindys

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mindaugas
Vehicle(s)
2020 VW GTI SE
Could it be because of power? No doubt the speaker behind the instrument panel requires much less power to run than the speaker system. I think what happens is that when the speaker system is completely off, the sound is coming from the small speaker. And when I say off, I mean that the stereo system completely shuts off after some amount of time.

MustangDaily

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, Auto
I've looked at some other threads and they had no idea neither. After turning on my car 3 hours later, the regular chime comes back on. Some other members said that it's totally random, sometimes you'll get the old chime, some may not get it at all.

smann

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Are you saying that having my headlights on or off affects the type tone used by my collision avoidance and backup sensor? Not in my case. I can start the cart out in the sun, the headlights are not on and the tone style can change to the rapid "beep". I can start the cat in the garage, the headlights come on and the reverse sensor beep is the softer/slower tone. The state of my headlights makes no difference in my case. The tone style used when the car starts remains at least for a days worth of key cycles.
This tone happens to me when I take my headlights off auto and change the settings manually. If you forget to turn it back to auto or turn them off, it beeps to remind you.

Sponsored

AppoTheApple

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tien
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Premium GT DIB
Got the chime for the first time today. Not sure what it meant but it sure goes on for a lot longer than the normal one lol.

And I had about 100 miles left before empty, so not low fuel.

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, '22 Tesla Model 3, '22 F-150 Lightning
I get the alternative noise when i open my doors when still in gear (D in auto)

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Mine does this completely at random, maybe once every month or two. I figured it was just a glitch where the higher quality sound can't boot up in time or fails for whatever reason. It always goes back to the proper one the next time.

jrsimon27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2016 PP
Same problem here. The second sound it happens randomly would like to know why? Seems that nobody knows?

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
From the original version of the 2015 FSM:

Read very carefully since info is buried in fine print and have fun sorting it all out. :-)

Warning Chime Characteristics

The warning chimes use volume, chime frequency, length of time the chime sounds, decay of the chime tone and the number of chime tones to identify which chime is sounding. Most warning chimes have unique characteristics, however, there are chimes that do sound the same. The chime characteristics are defined by the different chime types:

Information
Soft-warning
Hard-warning
Tick-tock (on-off)
Adaptive Cruise Control Warning Chime

The adaptive cruise control warning chime supplements the message center displays to draw the driver's attention to the need to intervene and take control of the vehicle. There are 2 levels of chime output (high priority and low priority) based upon the nature and urgency of the warning. The audio system sounds the appropriate warning chime through the front speakers when it receives the adaptive cruise control warning request (high priority chime) or cruise control status (low priority chime) message from the CCM .

The low priority adaptive cruise control warning chime is a single-tone, 1-second chime that sounds to alert the driver the adaptive cruise control system has shut itself off due to low vehicle speed (approximately 32 km/h [20 mph]) and the driver needs to intervene if further braking is required or to resume the adaptive cruise control operation.

The high priority adaptive cruise control warning chime is a 0.25-second chime that sounds 12 times. The chime alerts the driver the vehicle is approaching the vehicle ahead at a faster rate than the adaptive cruise control system can brake the vehicle and the driver needs to apply the brakes to slow the vehicle down.

The IPC receives the cruise control status and the adaptive cruise control warning request messages from the GWM over the HS-CAN3 .

The GWM receives the cruise control status message from the PCM over the HS-CAN1 .

The GWM receives the adaptive cruise control warning request message from the CCM over the HS-CAN2 .

When a chime request is received, the IPC sends the IPC chime request message to the ACM and the audio DSP module to sound the chime.

Air Bag Secondary Warning Chime

The air bag secondary warning chime warns the air bag warning indicator LED is inoperative. If the IPC detects a fault with the air bag warning indicator LED during the bulb prove out, the air bag secondary warning chime sounds through the front speakers. If the IPC detects a fault in the air bag warning indicator when a SRS fault condition exists and the RCM has sent the IPC the air bag indicator request, the air bag secondary warning chime sounds through the front speakers. The air bag chime is a 0.5-second chime that sounds 5 times.

When a fault condition is detected, the IPC sends the IPC chime request message to the ACM and the audio DSP module over the HS-CAN3 to sound the chime.

Backup Warning Chime - Japan Only

The reverse warning chime warns the vehicle is in reverse. When the selector lever (automatic) or gearshift lever (manual) is in reverse, the PCM sends the gear lever position (automatic) or reverse gear state (manual) message to the GWM over the HS-CAN1 . The GWM sends the gear position status message to the IPC over the HS-CAN3 to sound a 1-second chime tone continuously through the front speakers.

Belt-Minder® Feature

NOTE: Whenever the vehicle is operated using MyKey®, the IPC enables the Belt-Minder®.

The Belt-Minder® is configurable on or off.
Refer to: Safety Belt Minder Deactivating/Activating (413-01 Instrumentation, Message Center and Warning Chimes, General Procedures).

The Belt-Minder® feature supplements the current safety belt warning function and is enabled after the current safety belt warning is complete. The Belt-Minder® reminds the driver the driver or front passenger safety belt is unbuckled by intermittently sounding a chime and simultaneously illuminating the safety belt warning indicator through the front speakers. The Belt-Minder® begins once the current safety belt warning has ended and the vehicle speed has exceeded 10 km/h (6 mph) with the driver or front passenger safety belt unbuckled. While activated, the Belt-Minder® chime provides a series of chimes/safety belt warning indicator flash sequences.

If the vehicle speed drops below 5 km/h (3 mph) once the Belt-Minder® chime has activated, the chime turns off and the safety belt warning indicator remains on. When the vehicle speed exceeds 10 km/h (6 mph) again, the Belt-Minder® chime resumes.

When MyKey® is in use, the driver cannot configure the Belt-Minder® off. Once the Belt-Minder® is activated, the Belt-Minder® continues to chime periodically (does not time out after 5 minutes) and the audio system is muted until the driver and passenger safety belts are fastened.

To control the Belt-Minder®, the IPC receives the vehicle speed, gear lever position, driver safety belt buckle status, passenger safety belt buckle status and front passenger detect status messages from the GWM over the HS-CAN3 .

The GWM receives the vehicle speed and gear lever position messages from the PCM over the HS-CAN1 .

The IPC receives the driver safety belt buckle status, passenger safety belt buckle status and the front passenger detect status messages from the RCM over the HS-CAN2 .

When the conditions require the Belt-Minder® chime, the IPC sends the IPC chime request message to the ACM and the audio DSP module over the HS-CAN3 to sound the chime.

Blind Spot Information System (BLIS®)/Cross Traffic Alert (CTA) Warning Chime

The Blind Spot Information System (BLIS®)/Cross Traffic Alert (CTA) warning chime sounds to alert the driver that a vehicle has been detected or that there is a system fault. The Blind Spot Information System (BLIS®)/Cross Traffic Alert (CTA) warning chime sounds a 0.25-second chime continuously through the rear speakers until the request is ended.

The IPC receives the Cross Traffic Alert (CTA) left status, Cross Traffic Alert (CTA) right status, side obstacle sensor status-left and the side obstacle sensor status-right request messages from the GWM over the HS-CAN3 .

The GWM receives the Cross Traffic Alert (CTA) left status, the Cross Traffic Alert (CTA) the right status, side obstacle sensor status-left and the side obstacle sensor status-right request messages from the SODL and SODR over the MS-CAN .

When a chime request is received, the IPC sends the IPC chime request message to the ACM and DSP module over the HS-CAN3 to sound the chime.

Door Ajar Warning Chime

The door ajar warning chime warns that a door is ajar. When a door becomes ajar while the ignition is in RUN with vehicle speed greater than 5 km/h (3 mph), the IPC displays the appropriate door ajar warning message and sounds a single chime tone through the front speakers for each door opened. The door ajar chime only sounds once for each time the door is opened, and only repeats the chime if the door is closed then reopened.

The IPC receives the driver door ajar status and passenger door ajar status from the GWM over the HS-CAN3 . The GWM receives the driver door ajar status and passenger door ajar status from the BCM over the HS-CAN1 .

When a chime request is received, the IPC sends the IPC chime request message to the ACM and the audio DSP module over the HS-CAN3 to sound the chime.

Forward Collision Warning Chime

The forward collision warning chime warns that a forward collision potential has been detected or the CCM detects a forward collision warning system concern. Once the forward collision system detects a possible forward collision, the CCM sends the HUD module the heads up flash rate message to flash the forward collision warning, and the forward collision warning message request to the IPC through the GWM to sound a 0.25-second chime tone 12 times.

The forward collision warning system and chime can be disabled or turned off using the message center. When MyKey® is in use, the driver cannot disable the forward collision warning system. When the driver disables the forward collision warning chime, the CCM sends the IPC the forward collision chime request through the GWM to sound a 0.25-second chime tone 12 times at 50% volume. The forward collision warning chime and confirmation chime are both sounded through the front speakers.

The IPC receives the forward collision warning message request and the forward collision chime request from the GWM over the HS-CAN3 .

The GWM receives the forward collision warning message request and the forward collision chime request from the CCM over the HS-CAN2 .

When a chime request is received, the IPC sends the IPC chime request message to the ACM and the audio DSP module over the HS-CAN3 to sound the chime.

Headlamps On Warning Chime

The headlamps on warning chime warns the headlamps are on when exiting the vehicle. When the driver exits the vehicle with the driver door ajar, the headlamp switch is in the PARK or HEADLAMP position and the ignition is OFF, the BCM sends the headlamp switch status message to the IPC through the GWM to sound a 1-second chime tone continuously through the front speakers.

The IPC receives the headlamp on warning chime message from the GWM over the HS-CAN3 .

The GWM receives the headlamp on warning chime message from the BCM over the HS-CAN1 .

Ignition-Engine On Warning Chime

The ignition-engine on chime informs the driver they are exiting the vehicle when the ignition has been left on (engine off) or the engine is running. When the driver exits the vehicle with the ignition on or with the engine running, the ignition-engine on warning chime sounds five 1-second chime tones through the front speakers. The IPC uses driver door ajar status, engine status, and transmission gear display mode messaged inputs to control the ignition-engine on warning chime.

The IPC receives the driver door ajar status, engine status and transmission gear display mode messages from the GWM over the HS-CAN3 .

The GWM receives the driver door ajar status message from the BCM over the HS-CAN1 .

The GWM receives the engine status and transmission gear display mode messages from the PCM over the HS-CAN1 .

Key-In-Ignition Warning Chime (Without Push Button Start)

The key-in-ignition warning chime warns the key is still in the ignition lock cylinder or the ignition is in ACC when the driver door is ajar. The key-in-ignition warning chime sounds repetitive 0.5-second chime tones through the front speakers until either the key is removed from the lock cylinder, the ignition is in RUN or the driver door is closed.

The IPC receives the key-in-ignition status from the GWM over the HS-CAN3 .

The GWM receives the key-in-ignition status from the BCM over the HS-CAN1 .

Memory-Stored Feedback Chime

The memory-stored feedback chime informs the driver their preferences have been successfully programmed through the memory set procedure. The memory-stored feedback chime sounds a 100-millisecond chirp through the front speakers when the DSM successfully stores a memory change.

The IPC receives the memory feedback request from the GWM over the HS-CAN3 .

The GWM receives the memory feedback request from the BCM over the HS-CAN1 .

Message Center Warning Chime

The message center warning chime feature draws the driver's attention to the message center display to view new warning messages. There are 3 different message center warning chime types that are defined by the length of the chime tone, which are designed to create a greater sense of urgency based on the nature of the condition and message displayed in the message center.

Informational (1-second chime)
Soft warning (0.5-second chime)
Hard warning (0.25-second chime)
When a new message request is received, the IPC sends the IPC chime request message to the ACM and the audio DSP module over the HS-CAN3 to sound the chime.

Parking Aid Chime

The parking aid system uses a visual display in the FCDIM and a chime to alert the driver objects are close to the vehicle. The parking aid chime sounds a repetitive chime tone through the rear speakers that decreases the time off between chime tones as objects get closer to the sensor until a continuous tone is heard.

The IPC receives the parking aid chime request from the GWM over the HS-CAN3 .

The GWM receives the parking aid chime request from the PAM over the HS-CAN1 .

Parking Brake Warning Chime

The parking brake warning chime warns that the parking brake is engaged when the vehicle is in motion. The parking brake warning chime sounds through the front speakers if the ignition is in ON, the parking brake is engaged, and the vehicle speed is greater than 5 km/h (3 mph). The parking brake warning chime stops sounding and resets if the parking brake is released, the ignition is on, if the vehicle speed is less than 5 kmh (3 mph), or after 90 seconds from the time the chime is activated.

The IPC receives the parking brake chime request from the GWM over the HS-CAN3

The GWM receives the parking brake chime request from the BCM over the HS-CAN1 .

Perimeter Alarm Warning Chime

The perimeter alarm warning chime alerts the driver the perimeter alarm is armed when the driver door is unlocked before disarming the alarm. The IPC displays a perimeter alarm message in the message center and the perimeter alarm warning chime sounds for 12 1-second chime tones through the front speakers when the driver door is opened. The perimeter alarm warning chime turns off when the perimeter alarm is disarmed (either by using the key fob or turning the key to the ON position). After the twelve second warning chime duration, the warning chime stops sounding and the perimeter alarm activates, sounding the horn and flashing the turn signal lamps.

The IPC receives the perimeter alarm warning chime request from the GWM over the HS-CAN3 .

The GWM receives the perimeter alarm warning chime request from the BCM over the HS-CAN1 .

PRNDL Not In Park Warning Chime

The IPC provides a PRNDL not in park warning chime that sounds along with the transmission not in park message center display to inform the driver the vehicle is not in PARK (P). The IPC displays the shift to park message and the PRNDL not in park warning chime sounds three 0.5-second chime tones through the front speakers if the selector lever is not in PARK (P), the ignition is OFF and the driver door is open or ajar. The IPC requires the transmission gear display mode, brake pedal applied, vehicle speed, driver door ajar and ignition status to control the PRNDL not in park warning chime.

The IPC receives all required messages from the GWM over the HS-CAN3 .

The GWM receives the brake pedal applied, transmission gear display mode and vehicle speed messages from the PCM over the HS-CAN1 .

The GWM receives the driver door ajar status and ignition status message from the BCM over the HS-CAN1 .

When a chime request is received, the IPC sends the IPC chime request message to the ACM and the audio DSP module to sound the chime.

Safety Belt Warning Chime

The safety belt warning chime warns the safety belt is not fastened. The safety belt warning chime sounds a repetitive 1-second chime tone for 6 seconds through the front speakers when the driver safety belt is not fastened and the ignition is transitioned from OFF or ACC to ON or START. The safety belt warning chime stops sounding when the safety belt is fastened, when the ignition is transitioned from ON or START to OFF or ACC, or when the chime has sounded for 6 seconds.

The IPC receives the driver safety belt buckle status message from the GWM over the HS-CAN3 .

The GWM receives the driver safety belt buckle status from the RCM over the HS-CAN2 .

When the conditions require the safety belt warning chime, the IPC sends the IPC chime request message to the ACM and DSP module over the HS-CAN3 to sound the chime.

Service AdvanceTrac® Warning Chime

The service AdvanceTrac® warning chime warns the ABS module has detected a fault condition in the stability-traction control system. If a fault condition exists in the stability-traction control system, the ABS module sends the IPC the stability-traction control chime request to display the service AdvanceTrac® message in the message center and to sound 3 0.5-second chime tones through the front speakers.

The IPC receives the stability-traction control chime request from the GWM over the HS-CAN3 .

The GWM receives the stability-traction control chime request from the ABS module over the HS-CAN2 .

Turn Signal On Chime Tone

The IPC provides a repetitive 1-second on/off tick-tock chime tone along with visual RH or LH turn indicators to inform the driver the turn signal or hazard lamp function is on.

The IPC receives the left turn lamp request and the right turn lamp request messages from the GWM over the HS-CAN3 .

The GWM receives the left turn lamp request and the right turn lamp request messages from the BCM over the HS-CAN1 .

Turn Signal Left On Chime

The turn signal left on or turn signal minder chime uses both odometer and the turn signal status message to determine the turn signals have been left on. The turn signal left on chime sounds a repetitive 1-second chime through the front speakers when the vehicle is driven with the turn signal on for more than 3.2 km (2.0 miles).

The IPC receives the turn signal status from the GWM over the HS-CAN3 .

The GWM receives the turn signal status from the BCM over the HS-CAN1 .

Copyright © Ford Motor Company
Sponsored