Sponsored

How big of a difference in performance of these DRs?

Volstang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I'm about to purchase some drag radials strictly for the track. I'm looking at the Mickey Thompson ET Street R and the Nitto NT05R. My GT is an Auto with 3.15s and only has a few basic bolt ons. I have a tune and CAI for added power and a BMR Cradle Lockout and Steeda diff bushings to help with traction and wheel hop.
After getting drag radials I plan to get a torque converter and will end up adding headers and maybe an IM over time, but anticipate staying NA.
Which of the drag radials I have listed would be the better choice? If I should be considering another one, please don't be shy.
I plan to go with a 17" wheel and either 275 or 305 width. I want to get this right the first time so looking for advice from those who have been down this road. I have read a good bit on here and on FB groups about these tires and hear good things. Feel free to drop some knowledge on me.
Also, will the Ford Bullitt 17x9 wheels with +30 offset fit ok?
Thanks!
Sponsored

Last edited:

pat5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2015
For me, the Hoosier DR2 275/40R17 works the best.

OP
OP
Volstang

Volstang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
What kind of 60ft times you get? Have you had any other drag radials you can compare those to? Thanks for the feedback.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Last edited:
OP
OP
Volstang

Volstang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
[MENTION=15685]bluebeastsrt[/MENTION] thanks for the feedback, you always provide quality info! What size wheels do you have? What offset? Can I run 17x9 with +30 offset?

Last edited:

Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
30MM off set should work. I currently have a set of 9.5 race stars for the back of the car.

pat5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2015
What kind of 60ft times you get? Have you had any other drag radials you can compare those to? Thanks for the feedback.
1.517 with the Hoosier (4c stall) , 1.699 with the MT ET Street S/S 285/40R18 (stock stall). When I have the MT and the stock stall I have traction problem when the tack prep was not good. Now with the Hoosier and the 4c I have not this problem. My friend have the MT Et Street R and he have traction problem last week and I don't. So he order the Hoosier :D
I tried the Nitto 05R two year ago when I just have a tune and they are bad.
So I say go with the Hoosier but if you want MT or Nitto, go with the MT.

OP
OP
Volstang

Volstang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Thanks for the info Pat!

Friesian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
The et street R will likely hook a bit better. they are really soft. but they will also wear out quicker

perfweld

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang
I run both tires as well. I really like the Nittos better for drivability, but the M/T Rs have been better on the track. I have gone 1.45 on the M/T Rs and 1.52 on the Nittos. I think on a very very well prepped track the Nittos are a faster tire, I think there construction is better and they are a faster tire downtrack, but the M/T flat hook better. I still use both to this day, but I only use the M/T tires at the track, I drive them to the track or put them on only when I'm gonna race the car. I like the Nittos better but have overpowered them for my needs when I'm trying to go fast on a marginally prepped track.

Sponsored

dubster99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT PP

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
anyone tried the M and H racemaster? i see they have 275/50r17. and like 100 cheaper than the MT

TooSoonJunior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP M6
M&H has a softer overall sidewall, but slightly less grip on the tire itself in my opinion

The tire choice really depends on your setup, each has its pros and cons depending how your ride is setup.

Usually for stock suspension cars, MT (ss for street, et street r for track) tends to be more forgiving for straight line, NT05R have a stiffer sidewall, offer better on street manors, but don't deal AT ALL well with any wheel hop, bad alignment, wrong air pressure. Get them dialed in and they will run neck and neck with the MT, but in my experience I had to put in a lot of effort to get them to hook anywhere close.

Slicks are best for a stick car, as well as M&H, as they offer the most forgiveness in sidewall give. You'll protect your drivetrain a lot easier.

My preference is the ET Street R, in an 18" setup. Not that common, but LOOKS way better than a tiny 17" setup and hooks just as well (have gone 1.400 in a 4500lb car).
Sponsored