Sponsored

More info on Michelin Pilot Sport 4S

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
No,they'e not shit. You don't like them,I get it. And if they were,I doubt Ford would use them on the PP.Or are you suggesting Ford is using them to save money?
Probably has more to do with corporate relationships and price points than what is the better tire. Either way, HUGE step up for the Stang to get PS4Ss.
Sponsored

1mic

Banned
2 mph so everybody sees u
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
God bless America, all 8.4 liters -Randy Pobst
No,they'e not shit. You don't like them,I get it. And if they were,I doubt Ford would use them on the PP.Or are you suggesting Ford is using them to save money?
Lol they are shit, come back when you’ve put on mpss tires. This isn’t even a discussion!

Ford absolutely uses cheap parts to save money, I mean if it works why not?
When the S550 came out they finally got with the program and put proper brakes, push button start, IRS, they FINALLY have good brakes on the mustang (gt350).

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
Go on tirerack. Michelin has "uniquely tuned" variants for many cars (Porsche, Ferrari, BMW, Mercedes, etc...) In addition to standard universal tires. You can see a BMW, Porsche, and Mercedes variants of the exact same size/model tire.

Even though they are the same size, look at the tread width and section width, they can vary by 0.5-1" for the same size. Michelin does a lot to make a tire custom from tire compound to construction, shape, and even small tread pattern differences, so no, it's not "the same tire you see everywhere else".

Give this a read:

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArtic...LY-select-and-size-TIRES-for-PERFORMANCE.aspx
Your absolutley Right. I'm running a Ferrari spec K1 rear tire. Its a 295 but hast the footprint of a 305 and 3 lbs lighter. The front 275's are BMW spec tires.

FWIW, The MPSS that I currently are the best street tire I've ever owned. Im sure that its replacement (MP4S) will be even better.

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1745309&postcount=33
34877846114_3ebe273042_z.jpg

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
rated #24 out of 32 on TireRack, close price to PSS, more expensive than Conti ECS. Sounds like a real winner of a tire. Most of the time factory OEM tires are trash.

Sponsored

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
Absolutely. The engineers give their recommendation and the bean counters say uh huh.

Also remember that tire manufacturers give big kick backs to the car manufacturers.

ricardocabesa

STD free
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT w/PP
rated #24 out of 32 on TireRack, close price to PSS, more expensive than Conti ECS. Sounds like a real winner of a tire. Most of the time factory OEM tires are trash.
Did you remove yours immediately since they're so bad?
Can you quote where they stand on other places beside Tire Rack?

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
yea I did, no longer did the rear fishtail, turn in was far better, plus they are quieter. People easily get 25k miles on PSS and not 12k miles like what happens to the rear PZero tires.

Baron95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT
I track my cars frequently (high performance driving instructor), and have tried many times both on my cars as well as student's cars.

I ran MP4S on my Corvette this year and it is an excellent tire. Lots of grip and still wears nicely. It is marginally better than the MPSS on grip, but a lot better on wear.

PZeros are really, really bad tires. They are stuck in the past while Michelin (and most of the others) keeps on moving the game forward. At this time PZeros are the absolutely worst performing summer tire on the market from major brands. Even cheap Hankooks (good tires) completely outclass PZeros.

They like to be around 36PSI hot pressures for the track, and work well on the street around 30PSI. They don't work as well at higher pressures.

The MP4S are also much better in cold temperatures than the other high-performance summer tires. Of course they don't work in snow and ice, but they can be driven on cold/dry weather. It takes about a mile or so in the cold before they warm enough, but once they do, they outperform most all season tires - again without winter precipitation on the ground.

Sponsored

BRYN@N4SM

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
n4sm.com
First Name
Bryn
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang GT vert
Your absolutley Right. I'm running a Ferrari spec K1 rear tire. Its a 295 but hast the footprint of a 305 and 3 lbs lighter. The front 275's are BMW spec tires.

FWIW, The MPSS that I currently are the best street tire I've ever owned. Im sure that its replacement (MP4S) will be even better.

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1745309&postcount=33

Bingo! Good knowledge, Todd! Certain tires are spec'd to certain vehicles, which is why we see those P Zeros on some higher end cars and such high prices on them sometimes.

Michelin killed it with the MPSS but they are ushering in a new era of performance tire with the new 4S and it is a phenomenal tire! It is one of our best sellers for guys that want a true performance tire. I know several guys that are running it on their Shelby and some on their boosted GT. They all just rave about these tires

:thumbsup:

1mic

Banned
2 mph so everybody sees u
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
God bless America, all 8.4 liters -Randy Pobst
yea I did, no longer did the rear fishtail, turn in was far better, plus they are quieter. People easily get 25k miles on PSS and not 12k miles like what happens to the rear PZero tires.
What tires do you have on your 13? I'm assuming they are Pirelli Corsa's, I've seen you post in VOA, you have a track pack SRT right?

The Pzeros on these are just wider POS's, 245 vs 355. :frusty:

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
Lol they are shit, come back when you’ve put on mpss tires. This isn’t even a discussion!

Ford absolutely uses cheap parts to save money, I mean if it works why not?
When the S550 came out they finally got with the program and put proper brakes, push button start, IRS, they FINALLY have good brakes on the mustang (gt350).
How about the early S197s not even having a trunk release button in the cabin!

Of course Ford cuts corners wherever they can. They probably got a really good deal on a metric shit ton of P Zeroes. Thankfully, they've learned that the tire is straight garbage.

My wife just bought a 2017 Mercedes C300 Sport with the AMG Sport Package (not a C43 or C63), and it's got freaking P Zero run flats. Apparently, they're even worse than the standard P Zeroes. I told her I'd get her set up with a set of PSS or PS 4s when she wears these out in 6k miles.

JR

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
What tires do you have on your 13? I'm assuming they are Pirelli Corsa's, I've seen you post in VOA, you have a track pack SRT right?

The Pzeros on these are just wider POS's, 245 vs 355. :frusty:
i have a GTS, i wont be using pirelli pzeros on the viper when they die, planning to use 285/345 PSS