Why do i see this?

seth21w

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT base PP ingot silver
I see several tune companies and other people selling and pushing colder thermostats claiming that it increases the life of the engine and makes more power and more efficient...etc From all of my years of working on cars the best temp is 190-210 which is what most factory specs recommend and is the best temp for fuel ignition among other things. So what is the deal? Are they just wanting to sell more tstats or can someone back up these claims??
Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

I see several tune companies and other people selling and pushing colder thermostats claiming that it increases the life of the engine and makes more power and more efficient...etc From all of my years of working on cars the best temp is 190-210 which is what most factory specs recommend and is the best temp for fuel ignition among other things. So what is the deal? Are they just wanting to sell more tstats or can someone back up these claims??
What's in bold is correct. Companies and other people selling thermostats. The more diverse the product, the more sales. As an example, people buy a cooler thermostat for Jeep XJs because they think it's a fix for the engine running hot. People like cheap fixes. Instead the proper way would be checking your radiator, coolant level, making sure your thermostat opens correctly, and checking the fan clutch.

Also, a hotter car is better for emissions, not necessarily for much else. If you are running serious power, you probably aren't running a 195 degree thermostat. Definitely lower.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
If ANY of those things were true, Ford would have already out a lower temp thermostat on our cars. For Ford, there is no additional cost involved, Ford engineers simply used the correct thermostat part.

OP
OP
seth21w

seth21w

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT base PP ingot silver
I can see maybe a 180° tstat if your engine has FI but otherwise an NA motor would be the best at factory spec temps.

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
all I had to do was tell lund to not make damn fans turn on for no good reason, they revised the tune, and I didn't buy a tstat. nothing else changed
Sponsored