HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I think I've read most of the threads about the Steeda subframe alignment kit but still have some questions.

The first is: if you don't do that and lower the cradle for any reason, do you have any influence on where it ends up afterwards? I'm hearing the cradle can move about 1/2 inch either way from center. I understand you would need an alignment afterwards but can you manually get it close so your tire isn't sticking out on one side and set in on the other, I mean without this kit?

The second is: I see posts saying some cars are almost impossible and some may be impossible to use these because even a small manufacturing difference on the cradle or what the bolts thread into in the body could exceed the reduced play this kit allows. And that seems logical that there are manufacturing differences or Ford wouldn't use such a wide path for the bolts to go thru.
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I think I've read most of the threads about the Steeda subframe alignment kit but still have some questions.

The first is: if you don't do that and lower the cradle for any reason, do you have any influence on where it ends up afterwards? I'm hearing the cradle can move about 1/2 inch either way from center. I understand you would need an alignment afterwards but can you manually get it close so your tire isn't sticking out on one side and set in on the other, I mean without this kit?

The second is: I see posts saying some cars are almost impossible and some may be impossible to use these because even a small manufacturing difference on the cradle or what the bolts thread into in the body could exceed the reduced play this kit allows. And that seems logical that there are manufacturing differences or Ford wouldn't use such a wide path for the bolts to go thru.
It's very hard to influence its final position without something else aiding. The Steeda alignment sleeves or BMR CB005 (or CB005 with the Steeda sleeves made for CB005) will center the cradle to the threaded holes on the body.

OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
It's very hard to influence its final position without something else aiding. The Steeda alignment sleeves or BMR CB005 (or CB005 with the Steeda sleeves made for CB005) will center the cradle to the threaded holes on the body.
Thanks, but....

Stop giving me new questions! LoL

If the CB005 will center the cradle what does adding the Steeda sleeves get you? Is it just a matter of degree? Is it that CB005 alone gets you within .x" of perfect and the sleeves cut that in half (for example).

BTW I am going to install a CB005.

Rebellion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Competition Orange GT
Thanks, but....

If the CB005 will center the cradle what does adding the Steeda sleeves get you? Is it just a matter of degree? Is it that CB005 alone gets you within .x" of perfect and the sleeves cut that in half (for example).

For the front bolts, the CB005 will do just fine. You don't really need the Steeda sleeves, but you can put them (shortened version) if you want.

The rear bolts will need the alignment sleeves to be aligned.

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
The subframe alignment sleeves align the subframe. Due to the large oem hole that the subframe mounts have, the subframe can be mounted from the factory off center, then properly aligned. When you align the subframe with the steeda inserts, the factory alignment will now be off. I doubt there are manufacturing errors on the subframe mounting hard points on the chassis to prevent the sub frame from bolting to the chassis with the steeda inserts. Mine bolted right up and needed a minor correction in toe. Really easy to install.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks, but....

Pretty much this. The CB005 centers it quite well, but adding the sleeves makes it an absolute non event when putting the subframe back up.

[MENTION=26233]Rebellion[/MENTION], since the subframe is one piece, centering the two front points with two four-way locators means it's going to be centered. The rear can't drift independently.

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
Thanks, but....

The stock bolts are smaller than the sub-frame hole they PASS through but thread into above. This means that there's wiggle room. The Steeda sleeves go over the bolts such that the wiggle room is removed.

OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
The CB005 centers it quite well, but adding the sleeves makes it an absolute non event when putting the subframe back up.
It sounds like you are saying the Steeda sleeves make it easier to install the CB005. Someone else told me they can make it harder to install. Can you elaborate?

I doubt the cradle will ever be dropped again, so having it go back such that an alignment isn't needed the next time is not a priority.

BUT I do like the idea of the cradle being absolutely centered. Do the sleeves guarantee that? And how far off can it be with just the CB005.

NvrFinished

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GTPP
I just came across this and plan to put a call into Steeda. I installed the CB005 along with the Steeda subframe alignment kit about 6 months ago. I just cut the front sleeves to the right length to fit with the CB005 mount.

Everything looked fine with the stock GTPP wheels, however, when I purchased new wheels for the car and had it aligned by a performance shop I noticed right away that the subframe is not centered. I have 20x11 HRE wheels with a 295/35R20 tire size on the rear. The drivers side sticks out farther than the right and is noticeable if you stand at the rear of the car and compare sides. It looks like the subframe needs to shift 1/16"-1/8" to the right side to center it. The alignment was double checked by the shop.

I don't know if I have any room to move it at all. The last thing I want to do is pull the sleeves and try to center it that way.

OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I just came across this and plan to put a call into Steeda. I installed the CB005 along with the Steeda subframe alignment kit about 6 months ago. I just cut the front sleeves to the right length to fit with the CB005 mount.
FWIW, Steeda sells a set now with 2 already cut.

Everything looked fine with the stock GTPP wheels, however, when I purchased new wheels for the car and had it aligned by a performance shop I noticed right away that the subframe is not centered. I have 20x11 HRE wheels with a 295/35R20 tire size on the rear. The drivers side sticks out farther than the right and is noticeable if you stand at the rear of the car and compare sides.
You are thinking you didn't notice with the stock wheels because neither stuck out even when off center? Did you verify the HREs both have the same backspacing? Not likely, but mistakes happen.

It looks like the subframe needs to shift 1/16"-1/8" to the right side to center it. The alignment was double checked by the shop.

I don't know if I have any room to move it at all. The last thing I want to do is pull the sleeves and try to center it that way.
If I understand the product there won't be a way to shift it, at least with the Steeda kit. I don't know if it can be moved that amount with the CB005 BUT even if it can, I don't know how to center it.

Does the factory TRY to center it in any way? If so, I would hate to take a cradle that came centered and shift it to one side or the other either from the Steeda kit forcing it to be off if whatever the cradle bolts thread in to aren't centered - or - having no way to know when its centered with or without the CB005 or sleeves.

I guess I need to see how centered my cradle is from the factory. I almost hope it isn't so there would be little to no risk in installing either.

As for calling Steeda, I asked them and they said they know nothing of any issues with their product at all.

Sponsored

NvrFinished

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GTPP
Yes, I double checked the wheel offsets. That was the first thing I did. The factory wheels did not come close to the fender so it was not noticeable at all. I know the subframe can't be moved with the sleeves in, that's why I'm saying I don't really want to remove them to try and center it. Plus, I don't know how much it can be moved with the CB005 kit. I do HPDE's and the CB005 makes a world of difference.

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2010 GT500, 2019 F-150 5.0
With a subframe alignment kit or solid bushing kit, you are centering the IRS subframe to the chassis mounting points (threaded inserts)

Are your threaded inserts perfectly centered to the chassis, and body panels perfectly placed around a centered chassis that has centered subframe mounts?

I do not use any additional centering components on my vehicles with CB005s, nor have I ever seen a reason to recommend it.

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
I will have good info on rear alignment tomorrow. The Steeda subframe alignment kit for under 40 is a great bang for your buck. It gives you repeatability in your rear subframe alignment when doing suspension changes. Plus,it keeps the rear assembly from shifting under severe duty use. The reason for the large diameter In the bushing is for the ease of assembly going down the line.

OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I guess I need to see how centered my cradle is from the factory.
Not as easy as I thought. Camber effects how far the top of the tire is inset or sticks out from the fender lip. In my case, that alone causes ~3/8" difference.

It looks like the subframe needs to shift 1/16"-1/8" to the right side to center it. The alignment was double checked by the shop.
Anyone know how much the allowed range of camber is and what that translates to in how much the top of the tire moves in relation to the fenders?

Is toe also a factor? I guess it could be if the toe adjustment isn't dead center on a line between the wheel hubs.

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
I will have good info on rear alignment tomorrow. The Steeda subframe alignment kit for under 40 is a great bang for your buck. It gives you repeatability in your rear subframe alignment when doing suspension changes. Plus,it keeps the rear assembly from shifting under severe duty use. The reason for the large diameter In the bushing is for the ease of assembly going down the line.
Hello, let's leave it to the manufacturer, with real engineers to respond to Steeda Product Related Questions & get through the misinformation that is out there.

The IRS subframe is aligned to the frame with two removable pins via one hole and one slot when the IRS is decked.

From there, toe is set at the front. Toe is preset on the IRS using the rear rotors. So, the IRS is decked to the frame independent of the front. The Steeda alignment dowel kit makes the factory alignment even more precise, with the factory alignment hole and slot being right on or perfect!

To add to the aforementioned:

- We have sold over 12,000 (with current orders in the system) alignment dowels to date

- Other products on the market have slotted holes that allow for fore/aft movements. Steeda’s alignment dowels do not

- The hole that “locates” the sub frame bolt in other kits are oversized by ~.060”, still allowing for the sub frame to move under load ... the Steeda alignment dowel fits the bolts perfectly

The “aligning” portion of other kits on the market are only 1” long, Steeda’s alignment dowel is 271% longer and encompasses the entire length!

As previously mentioned, Steeda has over 30+ years of designing, engineering & manufacturing parts for the aftermarket, while working with some of the top companies in the industry, including Ford Motor Company.

We have some of the most talented engineers on staff - we are very confident in our design.

Best Regards,

TJ
Sponsored