OP
OP
thehunterooo

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
LOL they seemed to only check the bearings but said the creaking sound was because the back tires are bald (the insides are, though I have a set in my living room ready to go on). I am just going to change the nuts out myself since that is what it appears to be. Also got the latch recall done which lead to some door panel damage (and they were not put back on all the way) so I have to work on that as well.

Pretty disappointing they couldn't find the issue I just find it very hard to believe it is the one tire causing a mechanical creaky/grinding sound.
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Check the bolts going into the rear axle flanges. There is another member on here who listed a similar "creaking" concern in this forum section regarding the noise being at the rear. His Dealer found that there were loose bolts at the axle flanges causing the noise and they had to replace 1 or more. He said after his fix the creaking is gone.

Edit:
Here ya go - page 2, post # 30 is his response.
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43020&page=2

OP
OP
thehunterooo

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
Thank you will check that out when I raise it on up next week.

Jmart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP Premium, Lightning Blue
How is everyone torquing the axle - spindle nut down? Typical hand tight, then reinstall wheel without center cap and torque down with all wheels on the ground? I've never had to remove an axle nut and don't want to screw something up! :headbonk:

OP
OP
thehunterooo

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
Bought two spindle nuts for the back going to replace them both along with the tires. I did tighten up the one on the driver side and it was under 150 pounds. Though I think it is something else. Will replace them anyways.

Sponsored

OP
OP
thehunterooo

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
Appears to be the wheel bearing. I will change it out later this week when the part comes in. Not sure how that was missed? The paperwork actually says that the bearings were checked out and okay but blamed it on the bald tires (not bald). Looks like they either did not want to fix the car or did not look at it. I know for a fact I will never go back to that Ford dealer again.

OP
OP
thehunterooo

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
And ta da problem fixed! Wheel bearing was changed out and the creak is gone. Glad the dealer lied to me and did not want to fix it.

Too bad the bearing and nuts cost over me $100 or so when the car is covered under warranty.

So in the end if there is a creak from a stop or when stopping, etc def check the bearing as well as the axle nut was fine. This bearing had 24,xxx miles when it started creaking.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
And ta da problem fixed! Wheel bearing was changed out and the creak is gone. Glad the dealer lied to me and did not want to fix it.

Too bad the bearing and nuts cost over me $100 or so when the car is covered under warranty.

So in the end if there is a creak from a stop or when stopping, etc def check the bearing as well as the axle nut was fine. This bearing had 24,xxx miles when it started creaking.
Can't you go back to Ford and get your money back? Isn't it stated in the Owners manual that for warranty repairs, you (the owner) have the option to have it serviced at a certified Ford Dealer or repair the issue yourself and be reimbursed?

Last edited:

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV

I'd contact Ford and tell them you had to fix it yourself since the dealer didn't know jack shit, and that you want to be reimbursed for the parts.

OP
OP
thehunterooo

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
Yeah I was going to go back over Friday and complain. Just glad it is fixed it was such a horrid noise.

Worst part is after I went to the dealer they started spamming me with sales ads...

Sponsored

natepcbfl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Premium GTpp 50th AP ---- 1989 Mustang GT 25th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
Well I had somewhat of a tink sound during not a creek but it did it under the same conditions as you spoke of [MENTION=12690]thehunterooo[/MENTION]. I changed my nutz and it went away, but came back within a week. Guess I will have to look into the wheel bearing route. Do you daily your ride, and is the noise still gone as of today?

OP
OP
thehunterooo

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
I was at about 24,000 miles or so when the bearing started creaking and drove it for several hundred miles when it was creaking (and it got worse as time went one). Once the bearing was changed the sound is gone and has been gone for the past couple of weeks, but yeah I drive maybe 800 miles or so a month on this car. It started off really quiet but it got worse (you could wobble the wheel when the car was on the ground). It was 100% the bearing in my case.

But again you could hear the sound with the windows down and it happened when you gave it gas or let off the gas, it would creak and then stop. Later on it started creaking when coming to stop and then when you started going again. On my auto going from P to D, S, etc it would creak as well when stopped. Bumps, bad roads or turning did not cause the sound to occur.

It was on the driver side in my case as well so I could hear it early on when it was failing, passenger side my be harder. At first it was faint and I thought it was drivetrain related, then I was able to hear it come from the back so I thought gears then it got to the point I could confirm in the car it was coming from the rear driver side wheel.

If you have a decent dealer I would take it in specifically pointing out the bearing.
Sponsored