Sponsored

Hyperco 18Z1440 as a rear spring

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
I'm shocked the ground control kits aren't more popular with the non street classed crowd. Perches and can source spring rates as high as available.
FYI

Hyperco 18Z1440 rear spring works well with the Steeda rear spring adjuster.

Steeda Tech
Sponsored

OP
OP
SteveW

SteveW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I'm shocked the ground control kits aren't more popular with the non street classed crowd. Perches and can source spring rates as high as available.
Any idea what the highest available is from them?

As I measured and visualized packaging a spring in the OEM location you run into concerns about free length, suspension droop, ride height, articulation, etc.

Going up in rate means you'd potentially need a shorter spring in the same location to maintain desired ride height. A shorter spring means you have to be sure it is well captured in the arm and upper mount so it doesn't pop free on droop. Can you imagine the disaster that would be on the road if it dislodged? Thankfully this particular Hyperco fits in nicely with what I have and also the Steeda parts.

Competition Orange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350

As I measured and visualized packaging a spring in the OEM location you run into concerns about free length, suspension droop, ride height, articulation, etc.

Going up in rate means you'd potentially need a shorter spring in the same location to maintain desired ride height. A shorter spring means you have to be sure it is well captured in the arm and upper mount so it doesn't pop free on droop. Can you imagine the disaster that would be on the road if it dislodged? Thankfully this particular Hyperco fits in nicely with what I have and also the Steeda parts.
I don't.

boardkat

CAMtard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT
i do - 1000lbs in the rear. they take 8+ weeks to fulfill custom spring orders above this rate (and no other OTS options will work that i'm aware of). and they won't sell just the rear adapters (they make you buy the whole kit, including the front sleeves/perches). combined, they're a big reason nobody at the pointy end is buying them right now.

Competition Orange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
i do - 1000lbs in the rear. they take 8+ weeks to fulfill custom spring orders above this rate (and no other OTS options will work that i'm aware of). and they won't sell just the rear adapters (they make you buy the whole kit, including the front sleeves/perches). combined, they're a big reason nobody at the pointy end is buying them right now.
Good info.

For a moderate kit, the Steeda full kit for $1,300 on sale is looking like a pretty legit value.

Sponsored

qtrracer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium PP Recaros; 86 GT 'Vert Pro-touring
My experience on a different car was less than stellar. The shocks are Koni SAs and the perches are coated aluminum. The Koni's can't take a high-rate spring, and the perches corrode pretty easily. Also, not a huge fan of the Eibach springs; prefer Hypers or Dracos.

OP
OP
SteveW

SteveW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Went out and did basically two autox events in one day today. 5 runs ea on two courses on an asphalt general aviation runway site. Absolutely LOVE the way the car is running on the combo of this spring in the rear and a 350 up front.

I actually have what can be called 'balance' now. It also produced more grip on this slicker surface than it did on the Crows Landing concrete site with the old setup. I made a couple changes to compression settings front n rear to dial things in but that was it. So far.

boardkat's coming out tomorrow so I'll see how that goes for me :eyebulge:

boardkat

CAMtard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT
boardkat's coming out tomorrow so I'll see how that goes for me :eyebulge:
lol.. nothing to fear when i can't get a clean run with maximum effort expended to accomplish said task :p
glad you found some speed with an improved setup - the ride-along i took felt a helluva lot better than your car @ nats last year!
hope to see you again sometime soon!

tyshenry

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT w/ PP
I run those springs currently(1440 hyperco) paired with 600 lb/in hyperco up front. They are running with a set of custom valved JRZ RS Ones by Maxcyspeed and I am liking the combo. I would like to try a higher rate in the rear, but I like the way the car bites exiting corners now and I wonder how that will affected.

jdub.csu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP
I run those springs currently(1440 hyperco) paired with 600 lb/in hyperco up front. They are running with a set of custom valved JRZ RS Ones by Maxcyspeed and I am liking the combo. I would like to try a higher rate in the rear, but I like the way the car bites exiting corners now and I wonder how that will affected.
Good to hear as that is the route I am going also. Screw the rule book time for some fun. CAM it is but first I need to raw time keith at this tour if I can for one last FS hoorah

Sponsored

apex15stangPP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP

Whiskey11

Kill ALL the Cones!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red Base GT/PP
My experience on a different car was less than stellar. The shocks are Koni SAs and the perches are coated aluminum. The Koni's can't take a high-rate spring, and the perches corrode pretty easily. Also, not a huge fan of the Eibach springs; prefer Hypers or Dracos.
Ground Control does not use off the shelf Koni's for their Coilovers however their "Perches Only" kits are based around Koni housings. Every single Ground Control Complete Coilover package is going to come with custom valved Koni's based around the Koni Yellow shock body but custom valved to handle the spring rates provided in their kit. That's why when you call them to order and tell them the rates you want they will recommend which valving option is "best" for those rates and leave you to decide which valving to use. I see that the S550 set doesn't have different valving options on their new online store, but I am reasonably sure that they exist based upon your intended spring rates.

And FWIW, the kit I had on my 2009 was rock solid till the day I sold the car. For the final spring rates of 550/275 that I was on, the car handled exceptionally well from the perspective of everyone that I let drive the car. There are a few "experts" who can claim to tell how a car is handling by watching videos that said otherwise, but that's a story for a different time. The adjusters never wore out but I also took the time to wash them before making adjustments. That's just common sense. Corroding aluminum definitely wasn't an issue either... 2 years of 4 season driving in Nebraska winters never saw any corrosion of the spring perches.

Not a fan of Eibach springs either, but they came with the kit and they worked well enough for my hack driving! :p

ANYWAY, Steve, glad to see you getting things sorted out on the car so that it is working for you!

Competition Orange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
FYI

Hyperco 18Z1440 rear spring works well with the Steeda rear spring adjuster.

Steeda Tech
I have a call in now to try to get some detailed information on your offerings.

I just called them again, and they have the full catalog available, maxing out at 1,4XXlbs.

I'm pretty interested in the Steeda coilover kit in the 400lb front range with a correctly sprung rear spring. The guy I talked to twice today seemed to be reading from a catalog and then tried to sell me random parts I never asked about. Hope I can get ahold of someone with some technical knowledge, as the guy I spoke to said they max out at 800 rear? Would be nice if the 1440 could work with the pro action adjustables.

I'd like to stay in the low to middle 1k range for a moderate suspension upgrade. Something I can use for a few years and get better with, then move to something race ready once car is paid off and I'm faster.
[MENTION=25806]SteedaTech[/MENTION] you guys are leading the way, if I can get some detailed information :)

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750

I just called them again, and they have the full catalog available, maxing out at 1,4XXlbs.

I'm pretty interested in the Steeda coilover kit in the 400lb front range with a correctly sprung rear spring. The guy I talked to twice today seemed to be reading from a catalog and then tried to sell me random parts I never asked about. Hope I can get ahold of someone with some technical knowledge, as the guy I spoke to said they max out at 800 rear? Would be nice if the 1440 could work with the pro action adjustables.

I'd like to stay in the low to middle 1k range for a moderate suspension upgrade. Something I can use for a few years and get better with, then move to something race ready once car is paid off and I'm faster.
[MENTION=25806]SteedaTech[/MENTION] you guys are leading the way, if I can get some detailed information :)
pm your contact info and I will go over options with you.

Thanks,

Steeda Tech

jhols

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP

I'm running the 400/1440 combo on my pro action adjustables and love the setup for autox! Including the Steeda rear perch
Sponsored