Sponsored

Break in/issues that happen, then disappear......

Nicky Pass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Avalanche Gray GT350
I bought my car in May of this year and I've got about 600 miles on it (don't bust balls, I've got 2 kids under 4 and we've been slammed at work), and I've had a few random noises that happened once or twice, but not again....

I revved the engine in the garage and I got a squeal when the rpms came back down. Did it once...

I heard what I think is piston slap...I went for a short ride and I got out at a gas station and left it running, and it was a uniform/consistent noise, not loud, but I noticed it. After driving a while...then getting out to listen again....it was gone.

I got a backfire/pop between high (7000-8000) rpm shifts. I think is normalish.

Yesterday, I noticed my brakes would occasionally squeak under light braking. I also noticed a noise that sounded like the pads were almost dragging upon light acceleration. I heard it because I was on a road with a divider. I got up to 60 and slammed on the brakes, then the noise went away. They still squeaked every once in a while.... But that's normal from these brakes...from what I've read.

I may have a touch of forum-itis...I read someone has a problem and I assume mine has or will have it! But I'd figured I'd ask about these few noises.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Nicky Pass

Nicky Pass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I check the oil after every time I drive it....its just under the top hole. The oil pressure is 25ish at idle after it warms up.....75ish when cruising and 90ish under heavy load.

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
19 ZL1 1LE, 19 F150, 19 SB S5
Not busting balls, but I think the biggest and only problem you have is not driving it enough currently.

Wriggly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Porsche 718 GTS
Not busting balls....sell it, it's not a museum piece. Buy a pile of Legos for the little ones.

GT_Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 408EFI , 2016 GT350
Piston slap - normal for this car before fully warmed up
Squealing brakes - normal for this car
Revving in the garage - stop it !!
Go play with the kids

Sponsored

CSL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350
Drive your car and enjoy it. Who knows if the frequency of problems with this low(er) volume car is commensurate with mass production models. The thing I always remember is the FP Racing School got a fleet of early cars, never really broke them in, and have beaten the living piss out of them for 18 months straight without any major issues.

As far as oil consumption goes, this is a naturally aspirated high revving V8 that makes over 500hp. It's akin to a race motor that is able to coexist on the street and get lugged around in 6th gear by people who don't have a clue what they have. I use oil in my car when I drive to and from the track. I DON'T use oil when I drive on the track. Tested this several times with multiple checks on track days.

Drive it like you stole it and be glad the powertrain has a 5 year warranty......have fun.

rj45

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic Metallic
To some degree, I’ve experienced all of the issues you’ve mentioned, except the squeal noise when the rpms fall. I’ve had cars that made weird drivetrain noises which never developed into a problem, other than getting on my nerves, of course. So, I wouldn’t be too concerned unless the squeal becomes louder and/or more frequent.

OP
OP
Nicky Pass

Nicky Pass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I know I should drive it more! I wish I could! I work for my family business and we’ve been working 10 and sometimes 12 hour days...and Saturdays! Life gets in the way of fun things.

I was just wondering if these are normal break in occurrences.

Donkey

Large member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I was asked to rev my 16 at a car show. It had about 800 miles on it. I am not a fan of free revving an engine to high rpms.. I revved it and they were like "come on" so I tached it up pretty good and had the same squeal.. needless to say it was embarrassing and I should have trusted my better judgement and not done it in the first place. Im sure it was a combination of new painted pulleys and new belt slipping as going to that kind of rpm and then back to idle puts a lot of load on the belts and accessory drives. I would advice you to rev it on the street and not in the garage or stationary.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Nicky Pass

Nicky Pass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think I should sell it sometimes because I don’t drive it’s that much, but as soon as I start it up, that thought goes away!

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Don't rev the engine in the garage. Drive it immediately after starting it and under light load until the oil temp reaches 190.

v-man

Still Plays With Cars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt 350 LB Black stripe
I am at 600 miles in my first 3 weeks I have experienced some of the same issues I feel it is normal you need more miles keep driving it and see what you really have in a couple thousand miles this is a special car don't be quick to get rid of it

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I know I should drive it more! I wish I could! I work for my family business and we’ve been working 10 and sometimes 12 hour days...and Saturdays! Life gets in the way of fun things.
are you using a fuel stabilizer? If you just take short trips, it's not good for the oil. And if you change the oil frequently, or take longer trips, that will burn time. And given your location, it gets cold in winter. And its better not to run summer tires in the cold.

OP
OP
Nicky Pass

Nicky Pass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
are you using a fuel stabilizer? If you just take short trips, it's not good for the oil. And if you change the oil frequently, or take longer trips, that will burn time. And given your location, it gets cold in winter. And its better not to run summer tires in the cold.
No fuel stabilizer...I use 93 octane. It’s a toy car...I drive it for fun.
Sponsored