Sponsored

Best Diff Cooler Solution for My Goals ?

bmarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Shelby GT350
I have a ‘16 Tech pack car. I have installed the FP trans and cooler kit. I have used Forscan to activate the in-dash trans temp gauge. I was about to order the FP diff cooler kit. I have read all the threads on this topic I can find. I want the cooler but I also want to activate the diff temp gauge with Forscan and have the cooler pump activated by a temp sensor, not a manual switch. In one thread I read that the kit comes with a temp “switch”, not a sensor, that sits in the diff fluid, not the sensor in the blind hole as in the track pac cars. If that is so, why does the kit include a manual switch for the dash ? I saw that JWB successfully used the blind sensor to get readings on the in-dash gauge (presumably by threading the blind hole in a Tech pack diff cover and installing the OEM sensor). I want to use the blind sensor to both feed the gauge and activate the pump. Is that possible ? Does it still make sense to order the FP kit, given my goals ? I am somewhat dense about wiring but willing to work on it to get what I want. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored

mkonrad

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Oxford White
Vehicle Showcase
If all you want is a reading on the dash you can probably make that work with some ingenuity, and a real temp sensor. Forscan could activate the dash display, but Ford designed it this way because the ecu wont be wont be providing a control loop for the differential pump. It has full on (armed and 170 temp) or off, no pwm control, and needs a manual override. Admittedly, nobody has looked into the pump control signal on a factory cooler and it is likely to be fairly simple too.

One thing I did not look into seriously was replacing the lower body wiring harnesssince I have aftermarket Sparco seats. The track computer strategy and part numbers looked different than tech. I’m still unsure what it would take to turn the 2016 tech into a 2016 gt350r with electronics package.

It probably still makes sense to consider the Ford part but an aftermarket pump may have higher volume, worse fitment, and will also be cheaper. None will be a factory system.

OP
OP

bmarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Shelby GT350
Diff cooler

Thanks for your response. I was hoping I would get some additional feedback. Anyone ?

OP
OP

bmarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Shelby GT350
Thanks for your reply; was hoping I would get some additional feedback. Anyone else ?

cking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17GT350AG/BS-MGW/UPR/ABLIP
I believe you can't just turn the stuff on with Forscan. Otherwise that what the kit would have done. A similar situation turned up in the DSP trying turn 9 speaker system into a 12. Everybody thought you could turn on the sub output preamp line and add a sub woofer. Turns out even if you put code in for it, nothing happens unless DSP is from 12 speaker car. So tech car does not have the diff cooler code loaded and seems even Ford can't/won't reflash them. So the analog version gets installed. I think the OEM that builds these modules could reflash but there no money in doing it. So we have no access to the code and it's not open source.

It would be interesting to talk with somebody who builds those things I think it would be like updating you BIOS on a PC. It would be like adding com card. First add the card, load the driver then the program can make use of it.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP

bmarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Shelby GT350
Thank you. We know we can turn on the in dash gauge with Forscan but that uses the oem sensor in the blind hole in the Tech pack diff cover. If I am willing to use the in-cabin switch to activate the pump, is there any way to use the oem kit (and the switch that sits in the diff oil) and activate the in-dash gauge ?

OP
OP

bmarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Shelby GT350
I suppose I could do an aftermarket cooler using the Tech pack cover and add/drain ports and blind sensor hole bit I really liked the idea of using the oem cooler kit.

mkonrad

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Oxford White
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry to bear the bad news, but I can lay it out a bit clearer. I've already run the harness but I have not put the cooler in yet since this year is more low speed autox and I'm in no hurry to do the swap until I change the rear subfreame bushings. Most people are smarter than I am, and since Ford fixed it in 2017, they moved on and bought a new car.

There is nothing in the FP diff cooler kit that will assist in any way to providing a display in your dash of the diff temperature. Anything you do to display the temperature sensor will have to originate outside this kit. The FP custom harness doesn't go anywhere near the CAN-bus connection for the temperature sensor which runs from the PCM in the driver kickpanel to the diff oil cover, while the FP retrofit kit runs on the other side of the car and to the battery. There's nothing stopping you from adding another temperature sensor in addition, but that temperature sensor, as well as the jumper for the lower body wiring harness in the driver side kickpanel are simply not in this kit.

It's a very simple circuit - the custom wiring harness runs between the battery and the diff pump, and includes a user arming switch and a temperature controlled switch. Could you remove the temperature controlled switch? Yes. I posted the part number in one of the earlier threads, and I can't remember if it is normally open or normally closed. Either way, it should be straightforward to remove the temperature controlled switch.

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
My car is at Full Tilt Boogie racing for their diff cooler kit, their IRS bushing kit and the TP trans and cooler. As the last message said, no reasonable way to add the diff temp that I know off, but yes, obviously the Trans temp can be done

cking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you. We know we can turn on the in dash gauge with Forscan but that uses the oem sensor in the blind hole in the Tech pack diff cover. If I am willing to use the in-cabin switch to activate the pump, is there any way to use the oem kit (and the switch that sits in the diff oil) and activate the in-dash gauge ?
You can turn on the tranny temp display, because it is there and is being used to enable limp mode. There is nothing monitoring the diff temp, so far I have not seen/herd of anybody adding a oem diff temp circuit and getting it to display. That code is not in the module and harness is not there also. You could add diff temp sensor and wire your own gauge and add a smart device that will open and close a relay based on a programmable differential. I looked into finding temp monitor but cheap ones would not go hot enough, they all stopped at 100C. You need one that will work in the 135C Range.

Like I said you can't add things on that you did not order easily on todays cars.

Sponsored
OP
OP

bmarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Shelby GT350
I believe that someone (JWB ?) has worked out the wiring and activated the diff temp in-dash display using FORSCAN and the OEM sensor in the Tech pack diff cover. Will look for this and post the link. Wondering if that sensor would work if it was in direct contact with the diff oil. Would like to use the kit diff cover because of the extra capacity but the hole is not blind, the switch sits in the diff oil with the kit. If the oem sensor worked in the oil, one compromise could be to cut off the kit switch, wire the oem sensor to give the diff temp and monitor the temp and use the manual switch on the dash to activate the pump.

cking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
From what I remember is he did all wiring for sensor and oem diff pump but could not get it too work, but maybe he got sensor but not the pump. There is a chance that diff temp display code is there, but the code to turn on the pump isn't. Ford knew the tranny got hot before the diff so they had no need for diff temp/pump code. Every switch sensor option needs code to interface it. So if your car doesn't have hardware, you don't have code. Even though Forscan may show some changeable values, nothing is reading them. That's why so many things have no effect when changed.

GT_Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 408EFI , 2016 GT350

cking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Still nobody has got the diff temp display working in a tech car. You can't add options without reprograming the module involved, not with Forscan.
Sponsored