Sponsored

Poll: How many R owners bought a non-R first?

GT350/GT350R owners- Which best applies to you?

• I bought a GT350, still own it, and don't want an R.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • I bought a GT350 first, then realized I wanted an R.

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • I bought an R first, never considered the standard GT350.

Votes: 19 27.1%
  • I bought an R but would honestly be happy with a non-R if I couldn't have found the deal I did.

Votes: 3 4.3%

• Total voters

96cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
This is for GT350/350R owners- Curious to see how everyone feels on this subject.

For those posting under "bought a GT350 first, then realized I wanted an R", this includes that you became willing to pay the price for what it takes to get the R when you weren't at first. Makes sense to add this, because realistically, most want the R and would have bought one if the price point and availability was ideal. I personally didn't feel an R was necessary or that I would care after owning a non-R. Boy was I wrong.

Put me in the "thought a GT350 was going to do it for me" category, I fell in love with this car, engine, and the entire package and now only an R will do (it's on order for those that don't know me).
Sponsored

Last edited:

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
"I bought a GT350 first, then realized I wanted an R", then I realized i want a GT500. It's quite the dilema.

chitlins37

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Magnetic GT350R / 70' Buick Skylark
"I bought a GT350 first, then realized I wanted an R", then I realized i want a GT500. It's quite the dilema.
Hey Tom,

Do you think you are going to want the GT500 in whatever form it takes? I'm not so sure I'll be interested if they go an Ecoboost/turbo V6 route with it. The GT is gorgeous but if I had half a mil it wouldnt even make my top 5 because of that. Fortunately I probably made my bed with my R for a while anyway budget wise so it likely will not matter whether I love or hate the next HALO.

chitlins37

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
These were the options/vehicles I gave pretty serious consideration to when searching for my car early 2017:
1) GT350R - couldnt find one within 200mi for a couple of months, had almost given up and shifted search to option 2 when I found my Mag inbound.
2) Corvette Z07 - Chevy was practically giving these away in relation to MSRP when I was trying to find an R...and there was plenty of Zs to choose from. This helped me understand/appreciate the exclusivity of the R and was the single largest deciding factor for me personally.

Bit of distance here...but considered
3) Nissan 370Z NISMO + immediate max aftermarket
4) 17 Mustang GT + immediate max aftermarket
5) Camaro ZL1 - ruled out due to interior (feels like your inside of something out of a mad max movie driving thru a slit in armor, cheesy propeller air vents, head scrubs headliner)
6) Hellcat Challenger or Charger - both ruled out because profile view looks like a boat...like ones the Swamp People use to hunt gators on the bayou). Heck of a machine but I have to be ok with looking at it.

Lightning Blue GT350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Duey
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350 #H2996, 12 FX35, 09 G37S
I bought a 17 GT350 for no ADM. I love this car now that I ran some curves on Thanksgiving with the wife (screaming) now loves it too but if I could have found a R at MSRP I would have gone that route. I just can't see forking up a extra 15 to 25k for the R. I know a bunch of you say it is worth it but I will pay this one off and hope that a SE with a N/A 7.0 comes out then I will pony up for the big dawg.

Sponsored

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I considered a GT350 and drove one. Didn't get to drive the R, but had an MSRP opportunity so I took it (no-brainer at MSRP, IMO ... not even close).

My cross-shop list was quite different than many. I'm a long-time euro car geek, so 996TT/997TT and BMW M3/M4 were on the list. I'm happy with the decision I made, obviously.

Comfort

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350, 17 GT350R base,18 GT350R
I bought a 17 350 in September/October of 16. It was white with blue over the top convenience package. I absolutely loved the car and ordered a MY18 Lead Foot R which is set for delivery on December 5th. While I am waiting on it to arrive, my dealer received a 17 base R in white with blue over the top and we worked a fair trade on the 17 convenience package. Now I will have two R’s which one I’ll drive and track 4-6 times a year and the other will be in my small collection. This forum has been very helpful and we have some great members!! Thank you all!

Last edited:

Mspeedster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Deep Impact Blue Track Pak
When Ford first announced the GT350 and later the GT350R, I had made up my mind that a GT350 Track Pack was what I wanted, and that's what I got.

The R is great, but for my daily use, the GT350 is just about perfect for me. The only time I ever think about an R is when I visit this board and see posts like this one.

It's like the rear bumper panel gap for me, if it weren't for the consistent posts about it, it's not something I'd even be thinking about.

Praehotec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 mustang, 2017 GT350R
I thought about which car to order for months, but ultimately I fell in love with the black R with black and red stripes, and the look of the R spoiler so that was my goal on ordering. For the price of either model, I feel like the car ought to be EXACTLY what you want, so I spent the extra for an R. Was it economically practical, no, but it was the right decision for me.

Etchhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350R
I have an R that had part time duty as a 350- installed rear seats and street wheels/tires. But when Track duty calls it transforms!

Sponsored

MrCincinnati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I started at a viper acr, realized it was too expensive and impractical for my budget, used cayman gt4 - maintenance cost fears, M4 - overhyped, then came across a few gt350 reviews. Saw the one where Pobst says don’t drive the R if you plan to get a non R.. decided to look on Ford.com. Found mine at the neighborhood dealer on the showroom floor with 2 non-Rs. Beelined to the R, got in and checked out the gearbox feel (I’ve always hated mustang gearboxes). Sold.

Last edited:

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Hey Tom,

Do you think you are going to want the GT500 in whatever form it takes? I'm not so sure I'll be interested if they go an Ecoboost/turbo V6 route with it. The GT is gorgeous but if I had half a mil it wouldnt even make my top 5 because of that. Fortunately I probably made my bed with my R for a while anyway budget wise so it likely will not matter whether I love or hate the next HALO.
Of course we have to wait and see what it is. If you have been following the 500 section, information is starting to leak out. If it is what I think it is going to be, then absolutely, I will dump an R to get it. If I get propositioned with a large ADM, then its probably going to be a no-go. I will just have to wait and see.

The wife and I had a long talk about it, she is of the mindset to keep both R's and go from there. One will be paid off this Feb and that will leave me with only one car payment. However, the problem is room in the stable. 3 mustangs (2 R's and a 97 cobra) in a 3 car garage means that one will have to go. Somehow I fit my souped up 30 MPH golf cart into that 3 car garage as well, so there is ZERO room.

So, lets see how fair my dealer is with me when the info is out and we will see. I've got about 10K sunk into the TY R with all the mods and stuff. You know how that goes, you never get all of it back. The new 500 or whatever it is going to be probably wont have any limited production associated with it like the R, so my initial impression is to not pay a significant markup on it.

Colleton

Mustang Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2017 Edge Sport, 2013 Focus ST
I'm enjoying my GT350 while I wait for the next FI Mustang. I never considered an R as I wanted a DD, and from all of the reviews and articles I've seen the R is not the best choice for a fun and comfortable daily. My opinion, yours may differ.

H6G

IN OMNIA PARATVS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Of course we have to wait and see what it is. If you have been following the 500 section, information is starting to leak out. If it is what I think it is going to be, then absolutely, I will dump an R to get it. If I get propositioned with a large ADM, then its probably going to be a no-go. I will just have to wait and see.

The wife and I had a long talk about it, she is of the mindset to keep both R's and go from there. One will be paid off this Feb and that will leave me with only one car payment. However, the problem is room in the stable. 3 mustangs (2 R's and a 97 cobra) in a 3 car garage means that one will have to go. Somehow I fit my souped up 30 MPH golf cart into that 3 car garage as well, so there is ZERO room.

So, lets see how fair my dealer is with me when the info is out and we will see. I've got about 10K sunk into the TY R with all the mods and stuff. You know how that goes, you never get all of it back. The new 500 or whatever it is going to be probably wont have any limited production associated with it like the R, so my initial impression is to not pay a significant markup on it.
You could always relocate to the Hub. You can get a nice spread somewhere north of ATL.... with a large garage to accommodate both R’s and the upcoming GT500 ;)

chitlins37

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Of course we have to wait and see what it is. If you have been following the 500 section, information is starting to leak out. If it is what I think it is going to be, then absolutely, I will dump an R to get it. If I get propositioned with a large ADM, then its probably going to be a no-go.
My interest waxes and wanes periodically...the most (and only) exciting rumour I have seen is the one involving a naturally aspirated 7.0L V8. Now that would be hard to ignore...even if I had to negotiate some perilous waters with my wife :)

OTOH I will say I love that my R is numbered and exclusive...HR414 on the dash. So if what you say about the GT500 being avaliable to anyone who wants one is true that would be a slight mark against trading my R for it.

In any case it is very exciting to think about with all of the stellar engineering coming out of Ford lately. They are doing some amazing things on all platforms imo and I cant wait to see what they spring on us for the next big dog!:ford:
Sponsored

Last edited: