Sponsored

Drive modes - Normal, Sport, etc.

ivantwilliams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium with Performance Package
Vehicle Showcase
On my 2017 GT, I always used Normal (not like I had a choice) driving mode.
After picking up my GT Premium today, I tried Sport mode. Flipping heck it was difficult initially!

Well, more to the point, the revs were high, so it took a moment to get used to.
What's your preferred mode for daily driving?

Also, what is the point of Sport mode (using the toggle), and also having a Sport mode on the gear shift (automatic)?

PS: I looked for a 'good' section on the forum to place this, alas, this section seemed like the right choice. Sorry if it isn't...
Sponsored

Jiki05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
The S mode on the gear shift you can use the paddle shifters to go up or down a gear. Haven't personally tried the toggle for sport mode.

Rickycardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT auto
I've driven almost entirely in Track mode for the last 2 years. I toggle to Track mode and shift to S at every startup. Its just second nature now.

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
On my 2017 GT, I always used Normal (not like I had a choice) driving mode.
After picking up my GT Premium today, I tried Sport mode. Flipping heck it was difficult initially!

Well, more to the point, the revs were high, so it took a moment to get used to.
What's your preferred mode for daily driving?

Also, what is the point of Sport mode (using the toggle), and also having a Sport mode on the gear shift (automatic)?

PS: I looked for a 'good' section on the forum to place this, alas, this section seemed like the right choice. Sorry if it isn't...
The Sport Mode toggle switch adjusts the throttle mapping, and the limits to how much it lets you get out of sorts before the nannies kick in (traction and stability control).

Sport mode on the transmission enables the paddle shifters (will hold the gear you tell it to, in normal it will still shift for you at a certain point) and shifts more aggressively to keep you in closer to the sweet spot of the torque curve. Think of it as fuel economy shifting in normal, performance shifting in sport.

hope this helps!

Edit: When it is dry out I almost exclusively use Sport driving mode, if it is colder or wet either Normal or Wet/Snow depending on how careful I want to take it. Mine is a manual tranny, so no sport shifting.

OP
OP
ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium with Performance Package
Vehicle Showcase
...spot on! Thanks for taking the time to explain.

The Sport Mode toggle switch adjusts the throttle mapping, and the limits to how much it lets you get out of sorts before the nannies kick in (traction and stability control).

Sport mode on the transmission enables the paddle shifters (will hold the gear you tell it to, in normal it will still shift for you at a certain point) and shifts more aggressively to keep you in closer to the sweet spot of the torque curve. Think of it as fuel economy shifting in normal, performance shifting in sport.

hope this helps!

Sponsored

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
I use Sport mode all the time. My car feels 20x faster in Sport vs. Normal after the mods I've done.

The only time I use Normal or Snow/Wet is when the car is warming up or when im coming home late and am trying to keep the exhaust quiet.

Kinjirra

I R Slow
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
16 Ruby Red GT W/PP, 401a
Vehicle Showcase
I drive in Track mode around town...for some reason it makes shifting easier for whatever reason(I have a 6spd). I use normal mode when its wet out and for highway stuff.

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
I always use Track, or Sport, but mainly Track mode. Like others have said shifting it to S on the shifter will force you to shift with the paddles while keeping it in D will allow you to switch back and forth between paddles and letting the transmission shift for you. If I need to quiet down my exhaust when cruising in my driveway I'll switch to rain/snow mode which keeps the RPM's low.

S550GTCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Corvette Grand Sport w/Z07, 2011 Golf TDI
I always drive in track mode too. Just used to the better throttle response when downshifting(6spd). I even use track mode in the rain tbh.

JCFoster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Vert, 3.15, A6, Magnetic
I use the shifter only to go to sport mode for two reasons, it's easier to engage and it doesn't change my steering setting I prefer the comfort setting and if remember right using the toggle switch it would change it to a heavier setting.

Sponsored

rr17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2017 GTPP
I traded my 03 Cobra for a 17 GTPP. I was always use to turning off traction control in the Cobra so that is what I do in the GT. Unfortunately I have noticed that if I am in Sport mode with traction control turned off the computer finds a way to turn traction control back on. Is there a mode that keeps traction control forced off?

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
Base GT with performance pack.

Autocross: Advance Trac OFF and sticky tires. This is where I use my car control skills developed over decades of autocrossing wins and championships.

On the street and highway: Normal with either oem or sticky (RE-71R) tires. Let the car back up my car handling skills. I see no need to waste my tire budget and risk self induced crashes on the street. There is rarely any opportunity for anything even close to full throttle without risking tickets and/or crashes. After decades of buying tires for V8 Mustangs I try to minimize wheel spin on the street.

That said if I get a 2018 with MagneRide shocks the shock tuning will be dependent on the drive mode setting so a well controlled ride versus a "make my wife comfortable" ride may "require" sport mode when she isn't in the car. However Advance Trac will still be on for street driving. For autocrossing I assume Track mode for the shock setting and Advance Trac off.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
I traded my 03 Cobra for a 17 GTPP. I was always use to turning off traction control in the Cobra so that is what I do in the GT. Unfortunately I have noticed that if I am in Sport mode with traction control turned off the computer finds a way to turn traction control back on. Is there a mode that keeps traction control forced off?
You have to se-set it after you start the car. Every time.

It sucks.

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't know whether you have a base or premium version. If base T/C off and Sport are mutually exclusive. If premium you supposedly can have both.

That said, see the autocrossing forum for Advance Trac issues.

Also see pages 147 and 171 in your owner manual.

Or you can simply enjoy the $$$ you are saving by not spinning your tires. :)

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You have to se-set it after you start the car. Every time.

It sucks.
At least Ford and GM provide this capability for their performance cars. If you are a good enough driver that you don't need the nannies then you should be capable of turning them off when "needed". :)

FYI my base GTPP allows me to change between normal, sport, T/C off, and advance trac off while driving. I checked once for info since obviously it is a distraction from actually driving the car.:D
Sponsored