Custom factory paint

thehygienist

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
IRISH
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ruby Red GT350
Can someone explain why the manufacturers don't offer custom paint at a custom price? If they sell vinyl stripes at a ridiculous price, they can surely offer paint at a ridiculous price and a lot of people will be stupid enough to bite if they can have a one-of-a-kind factory painted vehicle.
Sponsored

swlacobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt350 2016 z06 convertable
shutting down the production line for a one off color would probably cost a fortune. stripes are added at a different place after the vehicle is built

PencilGeek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R HR278, 2008 BMW M3
Can someone explain why the manufacturers don't offer custom paint at a custom price? If they sell vinyl stripes at a ridiculous price, they can surely offer paint at a ridiculous price and a lot of people will be stupid enough to bite if they can have a one-of-a-kind factory painted vehicle.
BMW does it. They call it the "Individual" program. You can select custom paint colors and custom interior leather colors. If I remember correctly, the interior is hand made and you can select stitching color too. I believe it's $5k for paint, and another $5k for interior. I've never done it but had plenty of friends who did.

meares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H4022
this has kind of irritated me too!

Sponsored

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
I don't blame them. The paint on these cars is already less than stellar. Just because they are going to paint it a special color wouldn't mean the quality would be any better. I think they know if the color is custom ordered, the paint will be under extra scrutiny.

I can hear it now - paying extra for paint and expecting that to mean the quality would be better than a non-custom color. Orders would be refused and we'd have some crazy color cars that maybe aren't as desirable.

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
The paint on these cars are extremely thin. Not like ghe porsche or bmw. You wouldnt want to spend 10k and then deal with touching it up all the time.

meares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H4022
I don't blame them. The paint on these cars is already less than stellar. Just because they are going to paint it a special color wouldn't mean the quality would be any better. I think they know if the color is custom ordered, the paint will be under extra scrutiny.

I can hear it now - paying extra for paint and expecting that to mean the quality would be better than a non-custom color. Orders would be refused and we'd have some crazy color cars that maybe aren't as desirable.
yeah....good point

Sharky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350R (eta tbd)
BMW does it. They call it the "Individual" program. You can select custom paint colors and custom interior leather colors. If I remember correctly, the interior is hand made and you can select stitching color too. I believe it's $5k for paint, and another $5k for interior. I've never done it but had plenty of friends who did.
Just did this through BMW on an M3. Just the exterior on mine. Love that it is an option. Went with fashion grey - absolutely love it.
Sponsored