2011-2014 Mustang GT 80mm TB How-to

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
I'll have a look at grill paint though I want some color in my engine bay. The vht paint is about $7 so it is pretty cheap too. I used vht to paint my brake calipers and they hold up really well so far and it has been almost a year.
VHT should be good. As with any plastic part though, test a small area to make sure the two are compatible.
Sponsored

jperls

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Metallic V6, 1970 mustang convertible
VHT should be good. As with any plastic part though, test a small area to make sure the two are compatible.
I can also attest to VHT paint. I painted my exhaust manifolds on my 1970 mustang about 5 years ago...never had to touch them since - and that was with the pair up to 2500 degrees...which is probably what I will use on the TB spacer - better safe than sorry

jperls

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
So I installed the throttle body today with the adapter made by [MENTION=6944]zackmd1[/MENTION]. All I have to say is...well to be honest, I am speechless at what this does. The car feels so different...it is a completely different animal.

My only suggestion is that instead of using the hex heads specified on the shapely site, use button-head hex heads for a completely recessed finish. Looks a lot cleaner in my opinion. I also recommend using VHT exhaust manifold paint...the gray matches the shapeways metallic plastic color exactly and protects you up to 2500 degrees.

Will post pictures to my build thread tomorrow after I install my engine mounts, rear differential bushings and BMR cradle lockout kit.

Fuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
Do I need to tapp the adapter for threads or will nuts be enough to fasten the TB?
[MENTION=19938]jperls[/MENTION] Good idea on using exhaust manifold paint. I think I'll switch to that.

jperls

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
Do I need to tapp the adapter for threads or will nuts be enough to fasten the TB?
[MENTION=19938]jperls[/MENTION] Good idea on using exhaust manifold paint. I think I'll switch to that.
I highly recommend the exhaust manifold paint if you want to remove any doubt about the adapter handling the heat of the engine bay. As for tapping the adapter, I did have to drill out the GT throttle body mounting holes to make the stock bolts fit, but you should be ok with just threading in the bolts. However, you have a point there with adding nuts to the back (extra security...think I might get some tomorrow from my local Ace Hardware...

As an aside, for anyone who installed this mod...what were your AFR's and vacuum numbers...just want to see if I have been able to have my PCM relearn the idle...

I seemed to have been running in the low 14's and high 13s for AFR's and max of 24.3 for vacuum while having an AFR of 20.

Sponsored

OP
OP
whatdoyoufeedit?

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Race Red EB A10 (Formerly 2016 3X Yellow V6 M6), 1996 Mercury Cougar XR7 4.6L A4 (Future Coyote swap candidate)
So I installed the throttle body today with the adapter made by @zackmd1 . All I have to say is...well to be honest, I am speechless at what this does. The car feels so different...it is a completely different animal.

My only suggestion is that instead of using the hex heads specified on the shapely site, use button-head hex heads for a completely recessed finish. Looks a lot cleaner in my opinion. I also recommend using VHT exhaust manifold paint...the gray matches the shapeways metallic plastic color exactly and protects you up to 2500 degrees.

Will post pictures to my build thread tomorrow after I install my engine mounts, rear differential bushings and BMR cradle lockout kit.
Glad you enjoy the mod. :cheers:

D BERRY

LostAtSea
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang v6
Hey Fuse, I had the same problem with trying to tap the holes in the adapter and drilled them out too, see post #375. So I put the bottom bolts in from the back of the adapter and used nuts. There is no way to put a nut on the backside of the bottom right/driver side, there is not enough clearance around the thermostat neck to get in there. Even when you install the bolt from the back there is no clearance to hold the bolt to tighten the nut. So like soldier989 suggested put a dab of glue, JB Weld, or Shoe Goo or whatever under the head, but then you'd have to wait for it to dry for final tightening.

But I think I'd just glue all four bolts like this, and use the throttle body to square it all up with finger tight nuts glue down of course. For glue, less is better!
100_0446.jpg

Fray_s550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang S550 V6
You guys think I'll have a problem installing the GT TB when I get my C&L CAI from American Muscle?

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
You guys think I'll have a problem installing the GT TB when I get my C&L CAI from American Muscle?
No, not a problem at all. You just need the right coupling piece to connect the intake tube to the TB. Couplings are a dime a dozen on eBay. Read through this thread. Plenty of info in here about it.

Sponsored

Lbj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT. A10 auto
If I do the relearn for my Throttlebody how long do I leave my battery disconnected and do I do both negative and positive or just one side

StangATX

Project Corrupted Cyclone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 S550 White Corrupted Cyclone
If I do the relearn for my Throttlebody how long do I leave my battery disconnected and do I do both negative and positive or just one side

Just one side for 30mins :thumbsup:

Fray_s550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang S550 V6

s550v6

Mike
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang V6
Just one side for 30mins :thumbsup:
Dang I always thought it was like a minute, looks like i'm going outside haha. Thank you for the info!

StangATX

Project Corrupted Cyclone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 S550 White Corrupted Cyclone
One last thing, can someone take a look at http://www.ebay.com/itm/BR3Z9E926C-...TANG-GT-OEM-/142287587697?hash=item2121004971 is this the correct TB? I don't wanna order the wrong one :S
As long as it's from a 5.0 between I'd say 2010-2014 (Mustang/F150) It should be good :thumbsup:

Dang I always thought it was like a minute, looks like i'm going outside haha. Thank you for the info!
I wish it was a minute lol. Keep us updated :)
Sponsored