Sponsored

Data logging

kart3l

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15'Mustang Ecoboost PP
Do you guys know if there is a cheaper alternative to access port ONLY for data logging?

I had used a few bluetooth dongles, but IAT-2 was locked. I would like to monitor the timing, IAT-2, ambient temperature, boost.
Sponsored

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
If you're not worried too much about performance, you can use what you have, just select a different app. If you have android phone, use Torque. If you have an iPhone, use OBD Fusion which is a Torque like app. For OBD Fusion, I bought the $10 version I think and then purchased the enhanced diagnostics for Ford 2015 for $9.99 which unlocked IAT2.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
My only problem is I can only get about 11 PIDs per second with the combination of OBD Fusion + my Kiwi3 OBD2 adapter. I need around 50 PIDs/second performance to do any real data logging.

If anyone knows a good solution to get that kind of performance, I'd love to hear about it.

DavidHuff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 5.0
My only problem is I can only get about 11 PIDs per second with the combination of OBD Fusion + my Kiwi3 OBD2 adapter. I need around 50 PIDs/second performance to do any real data logging.

If anyone knows a good solution to get that kind of performance, I'd love to hear about it.
Would you recommend the Kiwi OBD2 adapter and what is the best price you have found?Thanks

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Would you recommend the Kiwi OBD2 adapter and what is the best price you have found?Thanks
I like the Kiwi 3 OBD2 adapter because it's been very dependable. I never lose connection and it auto connects so it's very easy. I don't know if I can recommend it or not yet. PLX Devices claim that it can provide 48-60 PIDs per second. If that's true than yes, I definitely recommend it. With the app I have, I can only get 11 PIDs per second. I'm still not sure if it's the OBD2 protocol, the adapter or the app that is reducing the PID rate. I bought it from Kickstarter when they first started developing the Kiwi 3 because I had been using the wireless version 2 for Apple devices and was happy with that. I wanted the new version because the older one had a cord, was big, always in the way and was limited to only the iPhone. V3 works with all platforms and is very small. There were a lot of other nice features I'm forgetting like it turns off by itself and stuff like that. I think the best price is buying it directly from PLX Devices for $99. PLX Devices is also releasing their own Kiwi App soon. At least from Kickstarter, it's supposed to be released in May. The interface looked really nice. I'm not sure but maybe they'll offer a combined package for less money when the app is released?

Info on Kiwi 3 Adapter and App

Edit: Another thing, they have an app for upgrading the firmware in the adapter. I have the adapter plugged into my car with it powered on, launch the app and it's super easy to upgrade. That was very nice! It doesn't work with FORScan, a least not yet. The makers of FORScan say they are working with PLX Devices to get it supported but it seemed like there were some problems. It didn't sound like they gave up but it's been a long process and seems like they aren't in a hurry. There is a list of officially supported apps on the link I provided and it includes Toque for Android and OBD Fusion for Apple among others.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Marvinmadman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 EBM
I have torque and the $100 MX Bluetooth adapter. Lmk how you want me to check for the logging rate of the Pids. I havent really logged with it ever. I set it up yesterday and output a CSV file and opened it up. Id rather look at a real log in SCT software lol.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
I have torque and the $100 MX Bluetooth adapter. Lmk how you want me to check for the logging rate of the Pids. I havent really logged with it ever. I set it up yesterday and output a CSV file and opened it up. Id rather look at a real log in SCT software lol.
If you're using Torque, you must have an Android phone. I can't use Torque on the iPhone and not familiar with that app but OBD Fusion is supposed to be very similar. In OBD Fusion, if you go into Settings > Information while connected to the adapter, it will tell you the current PID connection rate. I think the basic app was free and works on both Android and IOS.

Even the connection technology is different between Android and IOS. That adapter you have is rated very well. It uses bluetooth. The iPhone uses Bluetooth LE which may be more limited for speed? The adapter from the same company for IOS devices is the OBDLink MX Wi-Fi adapter which has a TERRIBLE rating. Everyone says they lose connection all the time.