Sponsored

Gt350 intake and throttle body on 2016 GT

MustangGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 401A 6M Ruby Red
Why is the GT350 TB so much of a pain? Wouldn't seem like it should be such a big deal going to a slightly larger opening but I sure do read about constant problems with the GT350 TB on this forum. Haven't done any performance mods yet but this forum really helps in sorting out how to best spend my money.

Sponsored

fewt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Why is the GT350 TB so much of a pain? Wouldn't seem like it should be such a big deal going to a slightly larger opening but I sure do read about constant problems with the GT350 TB on this forum. Haven't done any performance mods yet but this forum really helps in sorting out how to best spend my money.

I have a feeling that we're only hearing about the problems, I don't have any trouble at all with mine.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
It's actually a GM part. Has different electronics, which means you have to tune it differently than the stock TB. Doesn't mean it can't be done, just that the stock TB yields the same power (maybe shy 3-4 hp... you won't notice) and you don't have to buy a new TB.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah bama = no good. Fyi my gt 350 intake and tb runs perfect and thats with stage 3 cams. you dont need the stock tb just a better tuner!

OP
OP
Travis550

Travis550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang GT
Yeah bama = no good. Fyi my gt 350 intake and tb runs perfect and thats with stage 3 cams. you dont need the stock tb just a better tuner!
It's just weird that it's not running right since Dallas mustang has been very reliable in the past and has had experience tuning several cars with the same mods as mine.

stage3s4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, PP, CO
For whatever reason, simply coping the throttle body data from a stock GT350 calibration to a 15-17GT will not fix the driveability issues you will have when using the GT350 TB. You have to start adjusting effective area and predicated throttle tables which can be a pretty tedious process. I think this is less of an issue with other TBs because the data given will work properly. GT350 TB was designed for a totally different engine.

Sponsored

markmurfie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT
For whatever reason, simply coping the throttle body data from a stock GT350 calibration to a 15-17GT will not fix the driveability issues you will have when using the GT350 TB. You have to start adjusting effective area and predicated throttle tables which can be a pretty tedious process. I think this is less of an issue with other TBs because the data given will work properly. GT350 TB was designed for a totally different engine.
I believe the reason for this is the GT350 throttle body data was setup to give the requested torque value where as the GT gets the primary requested torque from a driver demand table. So its not really that the TB was designed for a totally different engine, but that engines tune was dialed in at ford using a totally different process that the Ford ECUs are capable of. Usually you want either your TB model or your driver demand describing what the maximum torque is and the other describing what the driver probably wants. of course at wide open throttle they should tell the same thing, but at partial throttle if you get both saying what the driver probably wants then you get surging as the ECU switches back and forth to which ever one is lower at the time. all a tuner has to do is raise one or the other to describe the maximum torque request and let the car use the other for the partial throttle torque request.

Silver50Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0 PP Ingot Silver
Gt350 manifold and throttle body here Lund flex fuel tune and zero drivability issues , starts ,drives and cooks my Michelin pilot super sport 295 tires with no problems.

V8EATR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Yea get a better tuner. I'm tuned by AED and he nailed it on the first try, didn't take 27 revisions. Was as easy as getting the first tune from him.

Laztug

Wanna run dyno slips bro?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Calling out OKC #1 spot after axle back install.
Yea get a better tuner. I'm tuned by AED and he nailed it on the first try, didn't take 27 revisions. Was as easy as getting the first tune from him.
+1

AED tune pmas cai / gt350 cai / tb 0 drivability issues.

stage3s4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, PP, CO
I believe the reason for this is the GT350 throttle body data was setup to give the requested torque value where as the GT gets the primary requested torque from a driver demand table. So its not really that the TB was designed for a totally different engine, but that engines tune was dialed in at ford using a totally different process that the Ford ECUs are capable of. Usually you want either your TB model or your driver demand describing what the maximum torque is and the other describing what the driver probably wants. of course at wide open throttle they should tell the same thing, but at partial throttle if you get both saying what the driver probably wants then you get surging as the ECU switches back and forth to which ever one is lower at the time. all a tuner has to do is raise one or the other to describe the maximum torque request and let the car use the other for the partial throttle torque request.

We are essentially saying the same thing just in a different way. Ford designed the GT350 throttle body to work in the way you described for whatever reason (which is different from the 15-17 GT TB). Also keep in mind that its not like there is a DIY on how to get this throttle body to work properly (at least not until recently). It takes hours and hours of data logging and adjustments to find out what is happening. I have used the method described above which has provided me with the best results. Obviously, once you figured it out, doing future tunes is much easier and quicker.
Sponsored