Space Saver Tyre

Black Thunder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Hi,Has anyone decided to buy the Space Saver Tyre I believe it won't work on the front with the Brembo's but told you swap the back to the front or is all this just a waste of time and money and stick with the kit supplied
Sponsored

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase

Actual

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 5.0 V8 GT Auto Fastback Black
Hi,Has anyone decided to buy the Space Saver Tyre I believe it won't work on the front with the Brembo's but told you swap the back to the front or is all this just a waste of time and money and stick with the kit supplied
For my Mustang GT Auto with PP front Brembo brakes I am very concerned that I could be stranded if I suffered a major tyre failure especially on a European excursion and where a replacement tyre can't be sourced immediately.

Note that I don't even have the equipment necessary to change a tyre myself but if I had a space saver then at least a rescue service could fit it and it would mean that the car could be moved out of danger without causing damage.

I researched the space saver tyre solution extensively with my Ford dealer to the extent that they trialled fitting the larger GT rear wheel at the front of the car and according to them it was OK.

However when they checked with Ford Technical the response received was that "Ford do not support fitting a space saver wheel and tyre to the rear of the Mustang GT". This made the whole space saver irrelevant.

I gave up at this point especially as the full space saver kit was quite expensive and I don't know the technical reason for not supporting this configuration but I would be concerned about damaging the rear differential and voiding the warranty.

MaxQ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White 5.0 GT

Maoilearca

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 GT Auto Coupe (Guard). FP PP2

Sponsored

Actual

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 5.0 V8 GT Auto Fastback Black
Ford don't support the use of a space saver being fitted so does anyone have a view if a space save tyre fitted to the rear would have an adverse effect on transmission or anything else (Auto & Manual)?

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
Ford don't support the use of a space saver being fitted so does anyone have a view if a space save tyre fitted to the rear would have an adverse effect on transmission or anything else (Auto & Manual)?
I imagine Ford are covering their backs against someone fitting and driving around with it for extended periods of time at normal speeds. I can't see that it would be a problem for using to move the car, onto the back of a recovery vehicle for example.

OP
OP
Black Thunder

Black Thunder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I imagine Ford are covering their backs against someone fitting and driving around with it for extended periods of time at normal speeds. I can't see that it would be a problem for using to move the car, onto the back of a recovery vehicle for example.
My Feeling as well, Thanks for the reply , I was quoted in excess of £500 !!!!!yesterday has anyone found a cheaper alternative I saw the one earlier but asked him the price was 255.00 £ or $ my guess its $$$$$

slowhand99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Vert Race Red ord 26/03/15 del 24/03/16
My thoughts as well, the diff is the same on the EB and the GT (isn't it?) so I it's probably the power Ford are worried about. The diff spends most of it's time coping with wheels rotating at different rates so as a temporary measure to get home or off a motorway it works for me. Also looks good in the wheel well. :)

OP
OP
Black Thunder

Black Thunder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
My thoughts as well, the diff is the same on the EB and the GT (isn't it?) so I it's probably the power Ford are worried about. The diff spends most of it's time coping with wheels rotating at different rates so as a temporary measure to get home or off a motorway it works for me. Also looks good in the wheel well. :)
Have you got the wheel of so what did you pay and was it from Ford

Sponsored

slowhand99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
Black Thunder

Black Thunder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Great And have you tried it? I was told take rear off and put space saver on the rear and the rear fits over the Brembo

slowhand99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
Great And have you tried it? I was told take rear off and put space saver on the rear and the rear fits over the Brembo
Not yet, although my expectation is as yours; it will fit the rear, so swap around for a front puncture. I'm happier with that than a tube of gunk.
IMG_2034.JPG
IMG_2033.JPG

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
Trying to get my head round this...
The front brakes are bigger so is it not the front wheel that fits on the rear?

OP
OP
Black Thunder

Black Thunder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Ok then will order one when home later and many thanks for the info as I like a spare tyre especially when away in Europe and at night on a country lane somewhere I have seen these tyres fill with gunk and not work !!!! Nightmare
Sponsored