Consolidated My Thoughts On The 2018 Mustang

brock2621

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brock
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT California Special
So I had some time the past couple weeks to film another vlog and consolidated my thoughts on the the 2018 Mustang. Overall I like the individual options and better than the sum of it's parts. I AM tempted however when I consider replacing the front fascia with an aftermarket Roush or Cervini etc.

My question here on the forums is how many people are considering the jump from 2015+ to the '18's, and if so, will you be changing the front or has it grown on you?

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]HLG2lPu2xqc[/MEDIA]"]

P.S. Also, any feedback on the video would be incredibly appreciated; I want to improve and create things people want to see.

Cheers!
Sponsored

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
So I had some time the past couple weeks to film another vlog and consolidated my thoughts on the the 2018 Mustang. Overall I like the individual options and better than the sum of it's parts. I AM tempted however when I consider replacing the front fascia with an aftermarket Roush or Cervini etc.

My question here on the forums is how many people are considering the jump from 2015+ to the '18's, and if so, will you be changing the front or has it grown on you?

P.S. Also, any feedback on the video would be incredibly appreciated; I want to improve and create things people want to see.

Cheers!
Honestly, no one in their right mind would take the depreciation hit on their 2015-17 to get an 18. I'm sorry, it's just not going to be that radical of a change to justify losing $10k+.

OP
OP
brock2621

brock2621

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brock
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT California Special
Honestly, no one in their right mind would take the depreciation hit on their 2015-17 to get an 18. I'm sorry, it's just not going to be that radical of a change to justify losing $10k+.
Yeah it would be a rough one. I'm torn because I'm about to drop $3000 on installing a Roush active exhaust on my current which is something that will most likely be a part of the same performance package on the new one. Do I invest that 3k into this one or count that 3k towards new one etc.

I'm also slightly worried about the 2020+ Mustangs losing 5.0 or going all hybrid :mad:

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Yeah it would be a rough one. I'm torn because I'm about to drop $3000 on installing a Roush active exhaust on my current which is something that will most likely be a part of the same performance package on the new one. Do I invest that 3k into this one or count that 3k towards new one etc.

I'm also slightly worried about the 2020+ Mustangs losing 5.0 or going all hybrid :mad:
2020+ isn't losing the V8. It's as American as apple pie.

$3000 is a tough pill to swallow. Honestly, my Corsa sounds so damn good all the time I can't imagine needing a different one.

With that said, I fully expect the performance package for the 2018's to cost quite a bit more than the current. Magnetic dampeners, Michelin PS4 tires and an active exhaust is going to cost a pretty penny.

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
When I trade in my EB it will most likely be on a Challenger, I want something a little bigger and more comfortable and I also dearly miss having a sunroof which is not an option on mustangs.

Sponsored

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550

Cheers!
Once you see the '17 and '18 side by side, you won't want a '15-'17.

Don't shop for Mustang's that way.

csmaan12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, Oxford White
My loan term ends 2021...so that being said, if I've paid off my car by then, I may test drive a 2020 and hope over. Though I'm still not convinced that I want to deal with a DI engine again. Not too eager to jump into a Dodge or Chevy lol.

DarthMalice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 M0960; AT; Fighter Jet Gray
Depreciation will prevent me from switching. I will do some mods instead.

HeelToeHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT PP, 05 focus st
+1 for corsa. I thought I wanted an active exhaust and now that I have a corsa catback I don't think about an active exhaust at all*. I wasn't impressed with the sound of the dual mode on the 18 from any clips out there so far.

*that said cold start is a bit obnoxious but I start it with the garage door shut on early mornings or late nights.

ZackJones

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT/CS
I've actually watched one of your other videos before I bought my 17 GT/CS. I'll be subscribing as well.

Regarding keeping your current one or buying an 18 - I struggled with that decision for quite a while. I really, really like the idea of the 12 inch digital dash. Styling wise I'm okay with the new look. (my previous Mustang was a '68, inline 6 and 3 speed so we have a similar background) In the end I decided to go ahead and buy now instead of waiting for the 18's to come out. Our Mustang is a play toy for us. We bought it as our 25th wedding anniversary present. We decided to go ahead and buy now instead of waiting for a few reasons (1) we found exactly what we wanted within 15 miles of our house (2) we're impatient and want it now instead of waiting :) (3) there's a ton of aftermarket support for the 15-17. I know the 18's will have it as well, over time. (4) I wanted to see an 18 in person before I went to the dealer and ordering a 40K car and there just weren't any car shows in close proximity that I could make.

I'm every happy with the car we bought and it'll keep us grinning ear-to-ear for years to come.

Video feedback - love the clips you insert throughout but don't care for the music. I find it distracting because I want to hear what you have to say and not the song you're listening to at the moment.

Question - where did you get your quarter window covers and side scoops? I like the look and will probably add them to our Mustang.

Good luck with your channel and I'm looking forward to reading the feedback of others that are trying to make the buy/upgrade decision. If I were in your shoes I'd keep what I have.

Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Fantastic videos..........you have a new Subscriber :)

I love the way you edit them (the "outtakes" or whatever you'd call them, are amusing, but don't over do them).....but the content is great, you're very confident on camera and I think it's a very professional effort. Well done!

I'm also in love with your car. The CS/GT is one of my favourite S550s, especially in Competition Orange.

But then I'm also in love with the '18! Would I trade if I were in your shoes? Certainly not yet. Perhaps the '19MY will see another CS/GT or an equally cool GT-based special edition. Then I might be tempted (yeah Ford, I want that Azure Blue '19MY Mach 1 ;) )

Oh, and I love the reference to your dad and working on the '68. THAT'S what its all about :thumbsup:

airfuel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Bullitt
Don't have a Mustang currently so the choice is clear.

I'm waiting to order an '18. The improvements are nice and I understand current owners not wanting to take the hit.

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
Since when have people who buy cars like Mustangs been in our right minds?:D

Normally I keep cars for a VERY long time. My average so far with Mustangs is over 10 years including the 97 GT automatic we still daily drive. However, I traded a 2012 GT automatic "daily" for a 2015 base GT PP manual because it was replacing the Formula Ford I autocrossed for 20 years and the associated tow vehicle. I intend to trade the 15 for an 18 GT PP because I really want an automatic which wasn't an option with the GT PP previously. I'll take the $$$ hit which probably will be a lot more than $10K because this time we will also upgrade to MagneRide, dual zone A/C, and Nav as upgrades to the base or, if necessary, premium. If premium is needed (we don't want leather unless "necessary") I might go for the digital dash.

I'm fine with the styling changes, especially the lower hood if it actually helps visibility, since EVERY car's styling has something I don't especially like and some features I do like. The 18 is like that compared to the 15 so no big deal. One reason for not waiting until 2019 is that I really like Ruby Red and it may be changed in 19 since it has been around a long time on various Ford cars and trucks and is probably due to be phased out. The only reason I would wait until 2019 is because my first Mustang was a special ordered 69 351 Windsor 4V 4spd GT coupe.

Dirtyblueshirt

Award Winning Taste™
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
If I could offload my troublesome 2016, I'd be all over the 2018. Biggest draw? Perf pack on the GT Auto, finally.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Like DickR, I tend to keep cars for a very long time, so barring something unfortunate a 2018 would not be a replacement for my '08. But it could encourage a slight re-arrangement to the current "fleet".

I've been OK-enough with the 2018's front end from the get-go, and I wouldn't bother doing anything at all to change it. It's perhaps a little fussier than I might prefer, but then again I'm never going to see it when I'm driving it, and rarely otherwise except when I'm washing it. Might as well just let the OE front end deal with the 100 mph bug suicides at HPDE.

I'm not getting any hot link in what's a 100% black square. Got a Cliff's Notes text version of your likes/dislikes other than the front end?

Norm
Sponsored