Sponsored

Consolidated My Thoughts On The 2018 Mustang

Ecoboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Mustang GT, 19' Road Glide
I don't know. Sometimes I think I want a 18 GT PP auto 10 speed with magna ride suspension, active exhaust and possible digital dash but with my car being 2/3's paid off with 0% financing I don't think I can take another depressing trade in value. Besides that I can only imagine what an expensive car it will cost.
Sponsored

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
I don't know. Sometimes I think I want a 18 GT PP auto 10 speed with magna ride suspension, active exhaust and possible digital dash but with my car being 2/3's paid off with 0% financing I don't think I can take another depressing trade in value. Besides that I can only imagine what an expensive car it will cost.
I'm still waiting for more informations what the digital dash can do. They didn't show that it can finally show you navigation insructions on the dash. Hopefully they integrate the whole map for navigation in the dash like Audi/VW is doing it.

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
You say the Mustang wouldn't survive without the v8, I say that's complete bull. Older people that were around in the muscular car era are the only ones saying the Mustang needs the v8. It doesn't. If you've noticed, there is a new generation (millenials) car buyer. And auto makers have to anticipate what this group of people will buy. Sorry to say, it ain't a v8 of anything.
The V8, especially outside the US is a major reason to buy the stang and is its niche. There are many manufacturers who do turbos/autos better than Ford, if Ford tries to compete on this it will lose. And yes I believe I fall into the Millennial category. The people who just want an easy drive to get from A to B probably wouldn't even consider the Mustang so they're not worth worrying about.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

The V8, especially outside the US is a major reason to buy the stang and is its niche. There are many manufacturers who do turbos/autos better than Ford, if Ford tries to compete on this it will lose. And yes I believe I fall into the Millennial category. The people who just want an easy drive to get from A to B probably wouldn't even consider the Mustang so they're not worth worrying about.
For the record, I'm not against v8s, I'm just being realistic. You can get v8 power with a lot better fuel efficiency out of an I4, V6, or I6. I just think that auto manufacturers will continue the trend of engine downsizing. And naturally that means the v8 is the first to go. Heck, Ford has a 3 cylinder engine in the Focus and Fiesta and the Fiesta could see a 2 cylinder engine soon.

I think Ford does very well on their boosted engines. Yes, there's quite a lot of competition when it comes to boosted engines. But I don't think they necessarily do it any better or worse than the competition. They are middle of the pack for International Engine of the Year awards.
Screenshot_20170627-083817.jpg

Sponsored

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
So you've proved my point. What is the point in buying a Mustang over a BMW, Audi, Toyota, Honda or Mercedes if Ford are just going to follow suit with yet another boring auto turbo?

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
For the record, I'm not against v8s, I'm just being realistic. You can get v8 power with a lot better fuel efficiency out of an I4, V6, or I6.
Except that there's more to this than simply getting V8 levels of power or torque. Actually, that's the easy part.

Norm

ApollosWar89

Analyst
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Vehicle(s)
In the Market
Except that there's more to this than simply getting V8 levels of power or torque. Actually, that's the easy part.

Norm
Except to probably 9 out of 10 sports car purchasers it's about the power and efficiency. Not the number of cylinders. Ex:4 cylinders putting down MY17 GT numbers would be much lighter and higher MPG. Eventually, if you want that V8 sound you can go ahead and drive an older car because it's going away. Not immediately but 10-15 years V8s will probably only be used for certain high-end vehicles. Not an Econo sports car.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Except to probably 9 out of 10 sports car purchasers it's about the power and efficiency. Not the number of cylinders. Ex:4 cylinders putting down MY17 GT numbers would be much lighter and higher MPG. Eventually, if you want that V8 sound you can go ahead and drive an older car because it's going away. Not immediately but 10-15 years V8s will probably only be used for certain high-end vehicles. Not an Econo sports car.
Your dead wrong. More people purchased the SN95, new edge and now the S550 V8 mustangs despite having less horsepower and torque (and being slower) than their camaro rivals. It's not just about the power.

If the V8 in the mustang goes away, so will the mustang nameplate. At that point, the people purchasing vehicles will no longer care about the lineage...and therefore the name will not help sell the vehicle.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

So you've proved my point. What is the point in buying a Mustang over a BMW, Audi, Toyota, Honda or Mercedes if Ford are just going to follow suit with yet another boring auto turbo?
I'm pretty sure BmacIL likes anything that's against what I say. I have fans! :thumbsup:

Anyways, marks, I don't get your point? Boring auto turbo? The auto transmission keeps the turbo boosted. I personally like manual boosted cars though. What do you not like about turbo cars?

What's boring about Ford's turbos? They have a great torque curve for most driving, they get better fuel efficiency, and are easily modded for power. What's not to like? Do you think the Ford GT is boring because it has turbos? No. The answer is objectively no.

It says in your bio you drive a Focus ST. Why drive a boring turbo made by Ford and then bash it?

Sponsored

ApollosWar89

Analyst
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Vehicle(s)
In the Market
Your dead wrong. More people purchased the SN95, new edge and now the S550 V8 Mustangs despite having less horsepower and torque (and being slower) than their Camaro rivals. It's not just about the power.

If the V8 in the Mustang goes away, so will the Mustang nameplate. At that point, the people purchasing vehicles will no longer care about the lineage...and therefore the name will not help sell the vehicle.
And in all of those comparisons/sales figures. Which vehicle was the cheapest? And this is a car, not a medieval blood line.

Using your logic, only V8 owners care about the "history" of the Mustang. Given the majority of Mustang owners do not own a V8 Mustang. Therefore, the majority of Mustang owners couldn't care less about the history of their transportation.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
I'm pretty sure BmacIL likes anything that's against what I say. I have fans! :thumbsup:

Anyways, marks, I don't get your point? Boring auto turbo? The auto transmission keeps the turbo boosted. I personally like manual boosted cars though. What do you not like about turbo cars?

What's boring about Ford's turbos? They have a great torque curve for most driving, they get better fuel efficiency, and are easily modded for power. What's not to like? Do you think the Ford GT is boring because it has turbos? No. The answer is objectively no.
The V8 is a distinguishable feature on the mustang. I believe that is the point he's trying to make. You can purchase 4cyl and 6cyl turbo'd cars from a variety of different manufacturers. A large displacement, RWD V8 however....that's a different story. Eliminate the V8 and you suddenly are competing with a variety of other vehicles that do things better.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
And in all of those comparisons/sales figures. Which vehicle was the cheapest? And this is a car, not a medieval blood line.

Using your logic, only V8 owners care about the "history" of the Mustang. Given the majority of Mustang owners do not own a V8 Mustang. Therefore, the majority of Mustang owners couldn't care less about the history of their transportation.
Mustang owners in general care about the history. It's a huge reason why it nearly always outsells the camaro...it's as American as apple pie.

People buy the mustang because it's a mustang...and because it's offered with a V8 (even if they can't afford the V8). Eliminate the V8 and you might as well be driving a Hyundai.

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
theres a reason why most of the stangs sold in europe are the V8s

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
Mustang owners in general care about the history. It's a huge reason why it nearly always outsells the camaro...it's as American as apple pie.

People buy the mustang because it's a mustang...and because it's offered with a V8 (even if they can't afford the V8). Eliminate the V8 and you might as well be driving a Hyundai.
That's pretty shit logic. There's a lot more to a car than the motor.

Anyway, yes, the V8 GT will be dead soon. I'm willing to bet they will do exactly what they did with the 3.6L V6 with the 5.0. They will offer the new hybrid engine alongside the 5.0 for a year or 2 while people warm up to the objectively better, but different hybrid motor. Once it's established, the 5.0 will disappear. There wasn't much outcry from the V6 Mustang going the way of the dodo, and 6 cylinder Mustangs have been around, well, since the Mustang became a thing. Once this new turbo hybrid is around for a couple of years and people realize you can get good power and better efficiency, they won't care about the V8 other than those laggards who are grasping at nostalgia and retro living. I'm sure the special models will still have V8s because by that point it will be more of a novelty that can be sold in niche cars that those old nostalgic guys can afford.
Sponsored

Reactions: Ebm