Sponsored

Shelby Transmission Cooler Scoop Update!!!

Side_Pce

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
the arms, and the T-bracket are all beefed up, that is what I can see.
If it's the same one I have, all they did was weld the front hangers on instead of using bolts. Everything else is the same. Still contacted the transmission upon installation. Had to use spacers to offset the rear so it wouldn't contact anymore. Check fitment when installing, simple fix.
Sponsored

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
If it's the same one I have, all they did was weld the front hangers on instead of using bolts. Everything else is the same. Still contacted the transmission upon installation. Had to use spacers to offset the rear so it wouldn't contact anymore. Check fitment when installing, simple fix.
How has the scoop performing since you've installed it?

Side_Pce

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
How has the scoop performing since you've installed it?
It works. On a warm day (80's low 90's) keeps the temp around 170 normal driving. Haven't taken it to a track yet with the scoop on.

arsenalrocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
ran the new version of the cooler at mosport which has a long long straight over 1KM in length, happy to report that there is no limp mode in sight, max temp is 119C = 245F. I can see during the long back straight the trans temp actually goes down by a few degrees, makes sense as the fast air can cool the tranny. and the best way to cool the transmission in between sessions is to go out for a cruise at highway speed on 6th gear

i think this cooler is perfect for tracks with a fairly long straight. I do not go to track on super hot days so i think this 200USD cooler is the best solution for me for what i need.

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
ran the new version of the cooler at mosport which has a long long straight over 1KM in length, happy to report that there is no limp mode in sight, max temp is 119C = 245F. I can see during the long back straight the trans temp actually goes down by a few degrees, makes sense as the fast air can cool the tranny. and the best way to cool the transmission in between sessions is to go out for a cruise at highway speed on 6th gear

i think this cooler is perfect for tracks with a fairly long straight. I do not go to track on super hot days so i think this 200USD cooler is the best solution for me for what i need.
By cooler you are referring to the scoop? What was the ambient temp?

Sponsored

montreal ponies

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
‘17 Ruby red GT350
So verdict tells me that this scoop wouldn't do much for street use. Thx for reporting.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro

arsenalrocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
as long as there is highway driving at highway speeds, this thing is going to work.

driving to mosport in the morning around 120km/hr air temp is 17-18c the temp maxed out at 60c = 140F

driving back in the afternoon air temp is over 23c the tranny temp maxed out at around 70c

So verdict tells me that this scoop wouldn't do much for street use. Thx for reporting.

montreal ponies

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
‘17 Ruby red GT350
Why is that?
Well just like a few have reported, the scoop needs underflow air in order to cool the tranny some. Street driving in mostly stop and go traffic wouldn't be able to generate the wind needed to cool tranny .

Sponsored

montreal ponies

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
‘17 Ruby red GT350
[MENTION=6717]ARSENAROCKS[/MENTION] have you noticed any rattling of the scoop while on the track ?´

tldukestang

tldukestang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I put the scoop on last night and am heading to Road America this week. I ran Road America last year and hit limp mode in 3 of the 6 sessions. I will report back on what I experience but I am cautiously optimistic that it will work with RA having 2 nice straights.

Stoked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Focus RS/2016 GT350/2002 Audi A4
Well just like a few have reported, the scoop needs underflow air in order to cool the tranny some. Street driving in mostly stop and go traffic wouldn't be able to generate the wind needed to cool tranny .
How many cars are going into LM through stop and go traffic? I think if this is happening then it's a MFR matter for sure.

I've driven my car around, spiritedly, in 100 degree heat several times now with no issues. I autocrossed it in 90 degree weather, ran it at 85 mph from full to empty with temps hitting 103 and no LM. Even while running through the mountains hard in 3rd-4th gear for at least 60 minutes, never a problem....

Maybe I'm just lucky, but I think it has more to do with seriously hard track use vs. street driving, even in a "spirited" manner.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
How many cars are going into LM through stop and go traffic? I think if this is happening then it's a MFR matter for sure.

I've driven my car around, spiritedly, in 100 degree heat several times now with no issues. I autocrossed it in 90 degree weather, ran it at 85 mph from full to empty with temps hitting 103 and no LM. Even while running through the mountains hard in 3rd-4th gear for at least 60 minutes, never a problem....

Maybe I'm just lucky, but I think it has more to do with seriously hard track use vs. street driving, even in a "spirited" manner.
Excellent! :cheers:

Yes it depends on how spirited you drive. Autocross is mostly sitting around with the car not running, so that won't cause a problem.

In 85 degree temperatures - stop and go traffic - I had my transmission temperature increase from 85 to 140 in 5 minutes. That's with the track pack coolers on the car. I didn't get to limp mode, but I got the impression that stop and go traffic could put the car in limp mode if there's enough stop. And the track pack coolers don't help much if the car isn't moving. After the 5 minutes traffic started moving and the transmission temperature didn't increase any more.
Sponsored