5.0_SD

Village Idiot/Biermeister
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Base Lightning Blue
That does it, I'm calling tomorrow to ask for a return and get the cheaper version.
Sponsored

Souldriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 - Guard GT Prem. PP
Have the Deluxe editions been ok in the back?

I think I may ask to switch to the regulars for the front although i think it does look a little cheaper. Im glad now i didnt get two on as that would be double the damage control

Souldriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 - Guard GT Prem. PP
Guys with the CPC guards... How do the back flaps mount? I did a search and cannot find anything on them.
I'm looking into these after the ZL1 addons failed me. Most likely going to return them and go another route.

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
All these problems with the ZL1's, I had no issue with mine until I hit one pretty hard and bent it off of the tape by accident when I was washing, but it was my own fault. Put it back on with new tape and its been there ever since. The original install lasted for 10,000 miles and 6+ months through all weather and conditions.

About to order a new set for the new car.

Sponsored

16stangGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
So have the issues with the deluxe version been worked out or is the standard the way to go with ZL1?

catchthecarp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Platinum Premium GT
My 2 shekel's worth as someone who purchased the deluxe. I'd recommend going with the standard, they will deflect road debris every bit as well as the deluxe. The extra cost for a few micro millimeters in thickness is not worth the asking price. Both versions should come with black stainless flush mounted screws, too. On the plus side the flaps/guards work as advertised, they're easy to install and look good.

kluke15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
just bought a set of the cal pony ones. will update when i get them

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Here ya go - installed pics of the CPC stone guards (not best pics, but you get the idea). These are installed on my 2018 and were originally installed on my prior 2016.

First image is front and 2 images of rear to show fitment. The install was simple and they work real well with the body lines and don’t protrude a lot out to the sides like other competitor brands. They cost far less than the OEM GT350 stone guards that’s for sure.
C09E9C4E-7D30-4CF3-91A5-BCED2E0E7FCD.jpeg
C119E575-37B7-4D2C-95A0-A0AF5BDE0D69.jpeg
42A210C1-99DF-4B14-A628-B7EE47459B62.jpeg
31A2A090-A217-4AD8-BFD4-C803121F71FE.jpeg

LG23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT
Here ya go - installed pics of the CPC stone guards (not best pics, but you get the idea). These are installed on my 2018 and were originally installed on my prior 2016.

First image is front and 2 images of rear to show fitment. The install was simple and they work real well with the body lines and don’t protrude a lot out to the sides like other competitor brands. They cost far less than the OEM GT350 stone guards that’s for sure.
Any 3m tape or drilling needed to keep it against the car? Or are they solid just using factory clips?

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Any 3m tape or drilling needed to keep it against the car? Or are they solid just using factory clips?
CPC Mud/Stone guards:

Fronts:
3M body mount tape (gray w/red peel off) is only used on front guards from above the rocker line where wheel well starts to curve. I used a 3” section of 3M. Once applied, they don’t move at all. The bottom of the guard uses the (3) factory push pin locations to secure it firmly. I transferred these from my 2016 (almost 2 yrs of use in all seasons) and they never once had moved, come loose or separated on that car.

To install, just turn the front wheels all the way in one direction to give room to work, no need to jack/raise up vehicle or remove wheels.

Rears:
No 3M tape needed. The rears use (3) push pin locations already prominent within the rear inner fender liner and a 4th location that is near the fender liner. There are (6) screws and associated clips that come in the kit, the 4th location you reuse a single factory push pin. Due to how the rear guards are secured, there’s no need for 3M tape as the upper most bend of the guard on the wheel well holds it in place perfectly.

The instructions for the rears say to remove the rear wheels, but you don’t have to do that, as I didn’t. I just lifted the car from the rocker jacking point (in front of rear tire) so that the body rose away from the rear tire. Once you have ample room between back of rear tire and inner fender well, just remove the rear inner fender liner push pins (3 of them). Then just fold the cloth fender liner back out of the way, wedging it on back side of rear tire (gives enough room to work).

NO drilling is needed. The kit comes with all parts (and 3M tape). The 3M tape I mentioned above for fronts was replacement tape I bought because again, I transferred them from my prior 2016, so the original tape was ruined in the process.

They fit nice and the texture matches the black factory rockers and trim around the rear valence on PP equipped S550’s. They are also just as dark in person as that trim (my pics due to lighting made them look washed out or grey in comparison with the black trim).

Last edited:

LG23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT
Thanks for the thorough write-up man. I asked because I have the ZL1 addons deluxe front guards installed but didn’t install the rears because I had a feeling they would fail. Maybe CPC would sell me only the rears.

My first time putting on the ZL1 addons fronts, they ripped off of the 3m and failed (surprise surprise) and when I called them the guy who picked up assured me I should have just heated them more- so he sent me more tape. I heated the shit out of the tape to the guard, clean and prep my fender, and hold it firmly multiple times while using a heat gun. STILL it is now peeling again but only at the bottom, not the curve. Its been a few months so it may stay put but if it ends up failing I’ll just get the CPC fronts. Kinda obvious they didn’t test the “deluxe kit” on a car for any period of time over 2 weeks...

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
I've been using the CPC product for about 18 months, even before the final production model was out - they still look good, I've had no issues, definitely helped with keeping crap off the side of the car, especially when I was running spacers on the GTPP wheels (and later with the 20" 305/285 MRR setup).

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
I use the flaps from American Muscle. Way overpriced, but made well and look fine.

CVCashmere

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I took pics from the opposite side of the CPC guards so all could see the mount areas.

1st image is of front. The (3) push pins are factory locations; 3M tape is between guard and front fender (on edge of fender).

2nd image is of rear. In the rear image, you can see the (3) supplied screws used to mount the guard; the 4th location is the factory push pin (not seen in pic), but will be to the left and lower corner of those screws closest to frame rail (obscured by tire).
34C02DB5-4BCC-4C22-83D9-FF404E10E413.jpeg
6FF7E7F4-83DA-4532-8FC8-04E6BE0A09C3.jpeg
Sponsored