Sponsored

Missfire: Cylinder 8 Missfire: Multiple Cylinders

Mr Snappy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT-Vert, 2015 Tahoe LTZ
Uggg

So I have a 2016 GT Vert (Stick). I had it about a month and the check engine light came on. So I hook up my trusty code reader and it said "Missfire: Cylinder #8". I had not noticed anything with the car at all, it ran smooth as glass. I chalked it up to a one-time thing and cleared the code...light was gone and all was good.

No issues for about 6 months and then I go another one with the same code. I cleared it, but scheduled an appointment at Ford. Again, no issues with the car, it drove and sounded fine.

Another code thrown, this time it said "Missfire: Multiple Cylinders" Ok, time to get it in the shop! (again, no outward appearance of an issue, just light)

Ford just called and said that even though the car was running fine, their research from "Ford Forums" had consistently listed that when the car threw those codes, and no other issues were apparent, the problem is a CRACK in the INTAKE MANIFOLD!

They are replacing the manifold now.

The reason I am posting is two-fold. One, if you are having similar issues, get the car in for warranty work ASAP. TWO, if you see used manifolds for sale, be very cautious and make sure you know the whole story.

:cheers:
Sponsored

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
I had this a few months ago. They also replaced my manifold. Mine was caused by the runner valves sticking.

OP
OP
Mr Snappy

Mr Snappy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had this a few months ago. They also replaced my manifold. Mine was caused by the runner valves sticking.
Yup, they said the same thing. They also said they were asked by Ford to send the defective parts to Ford HQ so they can inspect closer. I hope this was a "bad" batch and not a systemic issue.

SWETRID

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 California Special
Well known problem, usually gives codes P0300 and P0308.

surfs1st

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 RR GT
Yup, they said the same thing. They also said they were asked by Ford to send the defective parts to Ford HQ so they can inspect closer. I hope this was a "bad" batch and not a systemic issue.
Mine too, replaced under warranty. In the shop now for evaporator repair. Two years, four major repairs :mad:

It's been a good run, but I think I'm going to have to let this car go.

Sponsored

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
Mine too, replaced under warranty. In the shop now for evaporator repair. Two years, four major repairs :mad:

It's been a good run, but I think I'm going to have to let this car go.
I'm in the same boat. I've had mine for a year and the small issues are driving me nuts along with the big ones. The dealers themselves are awful as well. No loaner car because I didn't buy the car at your dealer? Even if the work being done is covered by warranty?

I'm gonna start looking around for new cars. The Camaros are tempting, but I don't think I want to touch another American car after this experience.

surfs1st

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 RR GT
I'm in the same boat. I've had mine for a year and the small issues are driving me nuts along with the big ones. The dealers themselves are awful as well. No loaner car because I didn't buy the car at your dealer? Even if the work being done is covered by warranty?

I'm gonna start looking around for new cars. The Camaros are tempting, but I don't think I want to touch another American car after this experience.
Yeah, I'm going back to German. I never had a problem with my Audi, and when I did they would throw a set of keys at me and tell me they would deliver my vehicle to my house when it was done and pick up the loaner.

I was lured away by the bright and shiny mustang, I really wanted to keep this car for the long haul, but the long and short of it is, it's just not reliable.

I can get an Audi with better service, and longer warranty and not have half of these issues. I should have listened to my wife, but don't tell her that :doh:

OP
OP
Mr Snappy

Mr Snappy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, I'm going back to German. I never had a problem with my Audi, and when I did they would throw a set of keys at me and tell me they would deliver my vehicle to my house when it was done and pick up the loaner.

I was lured away by the bright and shiny mustang, I really wanted to keep this car for the long haul, but the long and short of it is, it's just not reliable.

I can get an Audi with better service, and longer warranty and not have half of these issues. I should have listened to my wife, but don't tell her that :doh:
I'm not unhappy (yet)
I also came from German cars...I am a Mercedes guy and traded a C-300 for this. I also have had a BMW and 3 Corvettes. So I am a Chevy domestic and MB German guy I guess. I bought the Mustang because I wanted a V8 Vert and the Vette was going to be too pricey this time. The plan is to keep this one about 3.5 years and then probably back to German as well.

stang1971

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Premium Plus Magnetic GT
Just had this happen to me. Goes to the shop Friday

stealdesk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP Guard Metalic
I had this same problem and the dealer tried to blame the Steeda CAI. Took it to another dealer after I removed the Steeda CAI and install the sock air box. They found the control rod for the intake runner valves broken causing a random misfire and #8 misfire. A person here at work had the same problem a few days ago.

Sponsored

JuRuKi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
Good excuse to go with the GT350 IM
:)

stang1971

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Premium Plus Magnetic GT
I have a good friend that is a mustang guy that works as a Ford tech. He is going to take mine in friday and see exactly what mine is.... Nice to have someone working on your car you can trust.

OrangeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT Premium Competition Orange

With all due respect, German cars are NOT as reliable like they once were back in the 80s and early 90s. Look up any newer German car out there, 2015 and later and you will find all types of issues relating with transmission, electronics, rattles etc etc. and these are 50-70k cars we're talking about here.

Muff Muff

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue GT PP
Mine just started misfiring yesterday during a 6.5 hour road trip. I was afraid it was going to leave me stranded, so I stopped at a dealership to get it checked out. They had determined it was a cracked spark plug and fixed it, but not even an hour later it started misfiring again. I'm hoping it's not a cracked IM, but it is covered under warranty regardless. It's just frustrating that a car with 13,xxx miles is having this kind of issue.

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
Mine just started misfiring yesterday during a 6.5 hour road trip. I was afraid it was going to leave me stranded, so I stopped at a dealership to get it checked out. They had determined it was a cracked spark plug and fixed it, but not even an hour later it started misfiring again. I'm hoping it's not a cracked IM, but it is covered under warranty regardless. It's just frustrating that a car with 13,xxx miles is having this kind of issue.
That sucks. Yea many people have reported the dealer replacing all plugs and switching coils until they finally hook up the diagnosis tool and drive around. The whole bank on the cracked side will throw codes. The CEL codes only come up as multiple cylinders of p0308 (cyl 8). I believe it's the driver's side of the manifold that usually cracks.

In either case, bring it back. You don't want to be sucking in unfiltered air.
Sponsored