Sponsored

Newb Questions

defdans

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Hey guys, I just joined the club. Moved to a '16 Convertible GT. Loving it so far, but I do have a few questions. I'm not sure if some of these things are specific to the convertible or the 2016 model year. I searched around a bit, but didn't find any answers to these questions:

Seat belt-Unlike many others who have commented, my problem with the seat belt is that it sits way too low when not hooked through the loop. But when I try to put it through the loop, it doesn't sit remotely flat and thus won't even let me extend the seat belt. I'm 6'3, so I sit way back. Is there anything I can do? When not in the loop, the seat belt actually cross on my upper arm. Not ideal.

Trunk-On my previous 2015, the trunk line was pretty even all the way across. With the new one, there's a small amount of curve. In other words, the middle part (where you would grab to open the trunk after popping it) sits higher up than the outer part. Is that a problem with my particular vehicle or just a change that was made?

Leaving the top down-If I'm out running errands and such, can I safely leave the top down and just lock the car? Obviously I understand someone could root around in my center console, but presumably the trunk button doesn't work if there is no key present, right? I'm just trying to limit having to open/close the top constantly. Or is that just not something I should worry about at all? I have no idea how reliable these convertible top motors are...

thanks!
Sponsored

Hellman109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Convertible (See my garage)
Vehicle Showcase
For the locked part, there are sensors in the top part where the roof controls are that will sound the alarm on full guard mode if you lock the car. That however wont do much if someone throws a mcdonalds cup full of soft drink into the car and runs off.

For the trunk, perhaps a picture will help?

For the seat belt Ive seen some parts on Ebay to close off that shoulder loop but Ive never used them, Im 6' but dont have the same problem sorry, I dont use hte loop.

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
Lock the Glove Compartment!

Lock your gloves up in the compartment!

CVCashmere

OP
OP

defdans

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
For the locked part, there are sensors in the top part where the roof controls are that will sound the alarm on full guard mode if you lock the car. That however wont do much if someone throws a mcdonalds cup full of soft drink into the car and runs off.

For the trunk, perhaps a picture will help?

For the seat belt Ive seen some parts on Ebay to close off that shoulder loop but Ive never used them, Im 6' but dont have the same problem sorry, I dont use hte loop.
Thanks. Have you had someone throw soda in your car before? Or is that just a nightmare scenario? :)

I'll snap a pic of the trunk this weekend.

Maybe i'm just sitting up too high or too far back? I mean it sits comically low on my arm and I just don't understand the belt loop is even supposed to work with where i have the seat currently.

Sponsored

jeffdeq

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium Convertible White Platinum
With the possibility of “spiteful” people in the world today I do not leave my convertible unattended with the top down. The car is too much of an investment to be object of any kind of vandalism. It is locked up in a garage at night. With that said I still enjoy driving it without being overly paranoid. Just be prudent when parking it with the top down.
I am 6’ 3” and use a seat belt sleeve/pad over my shoulder. It makes the upper seat belt very comfortable and eliminates the chafing to the neck and upper shoulder.

VertGal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Convertible Guard Manual
I'm not sure about the 2016 MY, but at least for the 2015 convertible, the center console locks when the car is locked. This was a standard feature on the 2015s.

OP
OP

defdans

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
I'm not sure about the 2016 MY, but at least for the 2015 convertible, the center console locks when the car is locked. This was a standard feature on the 2015s.
Thanks, I'll test that out this weekend.

N123456

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Gt Premium
Not trying to insult your intelligence or anything but have you tried twisting the belt a little after it is through the loop so that it will sit flat? Im 6'7" and have the same issue as you, but when I have the seatbelt through the loop, I am usually able to adjust it so that it sits flat against my body, its usually twisted up above the loop slightly, but that's not a concern.

OP
OP

defdans

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Not trying to insult your intelligence or anything but have you tried twisting the belt a little after it is through the loop so that it will sit flat? Im 6'7" and have the same issue as you, but when I have the seatbelt through the loop, I am usually able to adjust it so that it sits flat against my body, its usually twisted up above the loop slightly, but that's not a concern.
Not an insult. I've been hoping this is just me being dumb. If that's all it is, i'll be pleased.

I did try twisting it around in there some, but any time i put it in the loop the seat belt will no longer extend. I guess I'll try again. Got a picture of how you have it situated that I can try to replicate?

Sponsored

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
I should have mentioned that the physical key is inside your key fob. You should pop it open and confirm the key is in there. It will lock the glove compartment.

Also, if your battery is dead, it will open the door using the access point under the handle.

I know...my battery died yesterday and Ford is installing a new one under warranty. 30 months on the battery and it developed a bad cell, per the dealer.

CVCashmere

True. Presumably I have to carry the physical key to do that though, which I haven't carried previously.

N123456

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Gt Premium
Not an insult. I've been hoping this is just me being dumb. If that's all it is, i'll be pleased.

I did try twisting it around in there some, but any time i put it in the loop the seat belt will no longer extend. I guess I'll try again. Got a picture of how you have it situated that I can try to replicate?
I will try to get one next time Im in the car. Thinking the convertible's latch/hoop may be in a different spot (didn't think about that before), so it may not be as simple as I said.

HBTD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
I close the top when I park for two reasons, dust and dirt like leaves, grass clippings stuff blowing around in the parking lots and bird droppings. One sat on the windshield of a friend's car and made a real mess on the dash and steering wheel.

Hellman109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Convertible (See my garage)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks. Have you had someone throw soda in your car before? Or is that just a nightmare scenario? :)
Nightmare, but Im in Ausralia where Mustangs aren't super popular and assholes are known to key them, I see that happening in various Mustang groups here every now and then, so a drink into the main area isn't out of the question.

Its quick anyhow, and if its a hot day Ill crack the rear windows a tiny bit to let hot air out so that the seats don't build up too much heat hopefully.
Sponsored