N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Gotta dang stone chip.. maybe 1mm x 1mm on my Grabber Blue hood, goes right to the metal, so:

1. Which brand touchup paint to buy? Ford?
2. best way to apply to make it look 'invisable'.

Thank you.
Sponsored

Coconut

Poptart
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Magnetic manual
For me, I just get the Motorcraft (Ford) one. Clean the area with alcohol, use a fine tip paint brush or tooth pick and fill in the void with paint. 2 coats letting it dry about 30 minutes, then 2 coats of clear. If you want it to be better you could try Dr. Color Chip.

POJ 1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt build no.301
Dr Colorchip !

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Dr. Colorchip

Sponsored

Pagey

PonyGP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT w/Black roof
i use Dr Colorchip on my Grabber Blue and it matches perfectly

OP
OP
WildHorse

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks guys!

furiousfuria

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT/CS Premium
Can anyone post some pics of a Dr. Colorchip repair they have done on their paint?

Must_Tang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gone-2016 Mustang GT Premium
Dr. Colorchip!

POJ 1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt build no.301
Can anyone post some pics of a Dr. Colorchip repair they have done on their paint?
I can hardly find the original problem much less photograph it
Just go ahead and use the doctors remedy!

Sponsored

SidewaysMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
For me, I just get the Motorcraft (Ford) one. Clean the area with alcohol, use a fine tip paint brush or tooth pick and fill in the void with paint. 2 coats letting it dry about 30 minutes, then 2 coats of clear. If you want it to be better you could try Dr. Color Chip.
I do this then gently wet sand the blob down with 2500 to 3000 grit paper, ultimate compound on the sand marks and wax.

When I tried the Dr. it kept removing the touch up paint or left the clear coat slightly dull

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
+1 for Dr. Colorchip. Don't be mistaken, you WILL still see where the chip is, but it will be less noticeable. Especially the further back you are looking from. No touch up method will completely get rid of the problem. If you want that, expect to bend over. Because the only true way to get it to look like new again is sand the whole hood, prime, repaint, reclear.

furiousfuria

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT/CS Premium
I do this then gently wet sand the blob down with 2500 to 3000 grit paper, ultimate compound on the sand marks and wax.

When I tried the Dr. it kept removing the touch up paint or left the clear coat slightly dull
This is the way I have been doing it except the wet sanding, just nervous to do that part. Tried Langka and paint thinner and paint thinner has worked the best for me. Maybe i'll just have to say screw it and try the wet sanding :shrug:

Jim Bronson

Red One
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Coupe Six Speed
+1 for Dr. Colorchip. Don't be mistaken, you WILL still see where the chip is, but it will be less noticeable. Especially the further back you are looking from. No touch up method will completely get rid of the problem. If you want that, expect to bend over. Because the only true way to get it to look like new again is sand the whole hood, prime, repaint, reclear.
And then you'll get a new chip the next day. Imperfections like that are rarely noticeable by anyone else after just applying a bit of touch-up paint. I had one on my escape, and after touching it up, I forgot about it. I could still see it while detailing the car, but I knew where it was and had to look closely.

SidewaysMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
This is the way I have been doing it except the wet sanding, just nervous to do that part. Tried Langka and paint thinner and paint thinner has worked the best for me. Maybe i'll just have to say screw it and try the wet sanding :shrug:
Remember, color coat should stay in the original chip then build up clear coat to level with the surrounding area. The goal is to just level down the blob. Just be sure to use 2500 grit or higher only on the final clear coat. I sand in one direction and stop and inspect every 5-10 passes.
Sponsored