Sponsored

Front Caliper bolt reuse

EF300

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2020 GT500 CFTP
Anyone reusing the front caliper bolts or are you all throwing them away after 1 use ? I forgot to buy replacements for my upcoming pad swap. I know I should prolly get caliper studs eventually.
Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
The bolts aren't TTY. In a nutshell, Ford pre-applies thread locker to the factory M14 x 2 caliper bolts and their MO is to recommend replacing them with new units. The fasteners themselves are fine with cleanup and proper reapplication of thread locker. That isn't to say that the factory bolts are the best solution but hey, I'm slightly jaded. Shifters or otherwise.

:)

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Anyone reusing the front caliper bolts or are you all throwing them away after 1 use ? I forgot to buy replacements for my upcoming pad swap. I know I should prolly get caliper studs eventually.
do yourself a favor and get the caliperfexion caliper studs.

im sure [MENTION=19066]Epiphany[/MENTION] can tell you where you can find them. ;)

one of the best mods you can do.

raiderjatt02

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jessie
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Track Pack; 1995 GT - Saleen Clone
Yup. Caliper studs should have came from the factory. Thankfully it's an easy fix :D

OP
OP
EF300

EF300

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2020 GT500 CFTP
Thanks ill re-use them and next time I change my pads I'll just put caliper studs on.

Sponsored

JN66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R, 1966 Couple (347 Stroker)

im sure @Epiphany can tell you where you can find them. ;)

I did this as well.

shelbyman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sandy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 350 Track Package White w/blue stripes

im sure @Epiphany can tell you where you can find them. ;)

Any possible idea why I can't get their website to work with Mozilla? For some reason the link don't do anything...:frusty:

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not optimized for cell phone probably. Using a desktop?

Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Galling is a legitimate concern with any fastener. With respect to the studs you guys are talking about I can say that galling (or the potential therein) prevention was a design priority along with fit and durability.

The threads on the studs are rolled (as opposed to being cut on a lathe) which not only produces a stronger thread but also a smoother thread which minimizes friction. Friction is the enemy here.

Manganese Phosphate coating provides a protective barrier on an already smooth fastener (rolled threads) as it fills in microscopic voids, reducing friction and producing added corrosion protection. The 17-4PH stainless studs and ARP nuts are different stainless alloys which works to counter the galling effect as similar alloyed fasteners have a greater propensity to gall. For that matter the Manganese Phosphate coated studs are a 4340 alloy whereas the ARP nuts are 8740 chrome moly.

Thread lubricant practically eliminates any potential to gall. I use and recommend ARP's "Ultra Torque" fastener assembly lubricant as it has a high melting point, eliminates corrosion, and ensures consistent preload for any number of torque cycles. The only concern with any thread lubricant is that the final torque figure be reduced by an accurate percentage or figure that ensures the same amount of stretch is imparted on the fastener being used.

If galling is something you are trying to accomplish, there are a few ways to do it quickly (if destructive testing is your thing).

- Using an impact gun is a great way to destroy a fastener and to encourage galling. The increased speed increases heat and the hammering effect is like that of a jackhammer. Use hand tools to install and service respective fasteners. Sockets/ratchets/box end wrenches only. Speed is lessened, and heat is minimized.

- Removing or installing fasteners when they are hot. Of importance here as one can imagine a scenario where a car is being tracked, wears the brakes down to the point of needing replacement (for example), and time is limited between sessions, so replacement is done hastily and without allowing system components time to cool. This is a great way to "weld" the threads in a fastened joint.

- Avoid using chlorinated solvents such as "brake clean" as you can encourage hydrogen embrittlement and be well on your way to a failed stud or bolt. Not necessarily a galling concern but yet another way to trash a fastener.

A quick read on galling from Fastenal...
https://www.fastenal.com/content/feds/pdf/Article - Galling.pdf

And some good reading on ARP's thread lubricant...
http://arp-bolts.com/p/arpultratorque.php

And finally, treat your fasteners with care no matter what they are used for. Don't over or under torque, always paying attention to an engineered or provided torque number. Especially important on items such as wheel studs, and suspension fasteners as your life is in their hands. If you nick a thread, clean it up carefully. If you can't - replace the fastener while you still can.
Sponsored

Last edited: